So erm....

Forum » Cricket » So erm....

Mar 13, 2019, 09:43

Mike, now that you know that Graeme Smith and a few others have a better record than Kepler will you concede that Kepler wasn't the oustanding player of the last 30 years?

Mar 13, 2019, 09:57

Well I am accepting that one on  Graeme Smith.   However, his ODI record - bar games in the early days of his career - also became a disaster by 2007 because of his limited run scoring areas stemming from his batting technique limitations and the ease with which opponents sealed up the said areas.   He was by 2011 a player with an extremely low  strike rate.  

Mar 13, 2019, 10:49

See now Mike..
I can't complain about your above statement as it is factually correct.

Though I was one of G Smith's biggest fans... and I still am... his stats don't lie!

Between 2011 and the end of his career, G Smith scored 1048 runs off 1509 balls.
Thats a crappy strike rate of 69.
His batting average in that period was 21.92

Well done Mike.

Mar 13, 2019, 11:20

Well done Mike.

Mar 13, 2019, 11:57

Insofar as my above post is concerned which refers to Mike's "The most highly rated test players in SA in the thirty years was Wessels and  Kallis" ...Mike, as I say again, is half right.

Kepler Wessels as the stats prove was not the most highly rated test player over 30 years in South Africa.

The stats prove that there were two other players better than him not including Graeme Smith.

Furthermore, this was never a debate about Kepler vs Smith.

"Well done Mike"....too funny, well at least it's a "cricket post"

Mar 13, 2019, 12:00

@Flash

Based on the below stats how is Mike, Factually correct?

Kepler Wessels

Test       ODI

41          34.36

G. Smith

41.95     37.98

H. Gibbs

41.95      36.13

AB de Villiers

50.68      53.50  

Mar 13, 2019, 13:02

Denny

You missed my point -in the last few years of international cricket - the stats indicate a bad slip in averages from 41,95 to 37,98.  A four poin slide in two years is abd if the long career of the player is taken into account.  The same thing happened to Amla recently.

I think and agree with you Smith was a great player - but he went down because bowllers found out what he is about and started going doiwn rapidly from 2011 onw2ards.

However, the point was that some test player had strike rate problems - Kallis was a case in point. Smith became on too.   Gibbs was a dfferent player - he wa a great hitter of balls - but when he was bad he was really bad.  

Mar 13, 2019, 13:29

@Denny

Sometimes i think you like to just argue because you can.

Please re-read what i wrote.

I made no mention of Wessels nor did I compare Smith to anyone.

I was stating that his analysis of Smiths stats were correct.

Mar 13, 2019, 16:56

I don't need to re-read your post because I fully understand what you're saying, the only problem is that it's off topic/ subject matter.

To understand the subject matter re-read my original post and oh ny the way you'll find that Mike concedes that he is wrong even though he rambles on afterwards about Smith to save some face. You bought into his face saving non topic BS.

To labour the point the subject matter had everything to do with Kepler Wessels.

Just a few points....

If you guys want to debate/argue about the decline of Smith's batting then may I suggest you start another post.

I have never said and I will never say that Smith was a great batsman. This debate was never about defending Smith.

My understanding is that we're here to debate, it brings life to a dull section of the forum, I guess the more the opinion the more the debate. Perhaps you and your sidekick can contribute in a meanigful way as opposed to waiting on someone else to offer an opinion.

We can of course agree with everything that's being said, that way you'll have plenty of friends but no forum. It will be like standing around a camp fire and singing Kumbaya.

Mar 13, 2019, 17:08

Easy tiger. No need to be so upset.

a. In response to clevermikes post, my reply was 100% relevant.

b. If you didn't like my post to Mike, you didnt have to reply to me.

c. I can chat about Smith's declining average right here as it is contextual.

I'm not going to engage on this anymore as I dont want to upset your current state of mind to the detrimine of your neighbours..

Enjoy the game.

Mar 13, 2019, 23:14

Easy Tiger Bwhahahahahahahaha I'm as easy as sunday morning.

Mate, it's your call if you can't engage, no sweat, if the heats too much in the kitchen then yes you should get out...go for it. Clearly we are on a different page reading from the same book although an answer to my very simple question would have had that sorted. 

I don't want to put the mocker on you but good luck with your studies on human behaviour and Pshyco analysis, from all accounts you're going to need it.

And in fear of upsetting your sensitivities I trust I've come across in a gentle manner.

You need to Log in to reply.