So the Proteas won the 2nd ODI against Australia

Forum » Cricket » So the Proteas won the 2nd ODI against Australia

Mar 04, 2020, 21:18

There were in fact three players who let down the team and those were =

*   Quinton de Kock who now has failed three games in a row - he used to play the Aussie bowlers well and now suiddenly he was BS in capital letters - he must get back to be a top batsman or get a kick in the backside;  

*    Verreinne and the same mistake as he made in the previous ODI and must learn from his mistakes: and

*    JJ Smuts who batted at a strike rate of 64,02 - when the requirement was 85 and his fielding was bloody poor.

The fact is that the decision was that the MOM should be shared between Ngidi and Malan and that was only fair,   They both were top class and deserve the MOM award,   The rest of he team was also performing well and credit needs to go to them as well. 

What I cannot understand is why Malan was not selected earlier - he was always a candidate that should be leading the stakes as opener in the Proteas side in both the tests and the shorter versions of the game.   The way he played the ussie spinners today one would think that SAC made another total balls-up by not including him in the ODI squad going to India.  

Mar 04, 2020, 21:53

Smuts was out on 17 but saved by a no ball

He is average

Mar 04, 2020, 22:18

Nothing to say about Klaasen Wanker? 

Mar 04, 2020, 22:43

Irritates me that Klassen was not playing for us years ago - he is better than Rassie and I’d take him over Faf as a bat

Mar 05, 2020, 00:20

Saffex Truth is, klaasen faded after his initial good start.

He’s always had the talent but his form until recently in all forms was average to poor.

I’m glad he seems to have regained form and confidence.

There is something about Afrikaans boys that make them tough batsman.

De Villiers, Faf until recently, Wessels, cronje... and now we have a new breed in fun dur dussen, Malan and Klaasen.

You can just see the fight in their eyes.

I wish Bavuma comes right in tests. He just doesn’t seem to have the concentration for the long game. I also worry that though Qdk is worth an average of 45 in tests, he isn’t able to bat for session after session. He just doesn’t have the brains and the fight to keep going.

I am a massive Qdk fan though. I just want to see him go on for longer periods.

We need some mongrel in our test side.

Mar 05, 2020, 00:23

With ngidi, rabada and hopefully sipamla soon... along with Maharaj and maybe Babuna, we may be able to field a representative side. Afrikaans batsman, black bowlers, a black batsman and a soutie keeper.

Mar 05, 2020, 02:15

Yeah you could see that fight in Malan’s eyes

Bavuma is so talented I just can’t work out why he has such an average test average, he is so much better than that

de Kock is super talented but as you say does not have the head to knuckle down and build an innings in tests.

He likes to dominate and with that comes the odd stupid shot that costs him

We have the backbone of a good side with bats Janneman, de Kock, Markram and Bavuma, to a lesser extent Hamza

I’m a big fan of Andile as our all rounder. He looks technically sound as a bat and will get better. Has BMT and is a fighter

Maharaj is by far our best spinner and then we have Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje and Sipamla as the quicks

That’s 11 merit players, we need to find two more classy young bats - Verreynne might be one, time will tell

Mar 05, 2020, 04:34

With players like Janneman Malan, Klaassen and Verreynne we would have beaten the England visitors all the way, but the selection of the duds by the Selection Committee f#cked  up royally by their selection of duds  and there still are too many duds like Smuts and Hendricks in the squad, 

Mar 05, 2020, 08:23

I really do think that Smuts will have a few shining moments. He’s one of those okra that will come off in a World Cup final.

Verreyne has always reminded me of Jonty. He’s an electric little character with loads of talent.

My main concern at this point is our bowling reserve. Sure our front liners are very very good. But what comes next if they get injured?

Mar 05, 2020, 09:09

There are some good youngsters coming through like Sipamla and Coetzee, so that is not as major a problem as some give it out to be,

I still think we have to change the batsmen to really see improvement,  The following  are in the mix already:-]

Markram, Janneman Malan, Bavuma, Van der Dussen, Verreinne, Klaasen, De Kock

Other batsmen that could be knocking on the door are Snyman and Van Tonder.      

Mar 05, 2020, 12:51

Disagree Smuts is a waste of time, move on

Mar 05, 2020, 13:06

Quinton is going through a bad spell, it happens to the best of batsmen. He'll come good. He has a lot on his plate especially now that he is captain, he was also in a one man band role until Malan came along. 

Mike.....is there a promising bat with the surname of Groenewald, I don't know his Christian name.

Mar 05, 2020, 13:10

Denny

I think you may refer to a guy by the name of  Zhivago Groenewald, but he played for Namibia and is not available for SA selection.   Cannot think of any other guy by the name of Groenewald, but will check around. 

Mar 05, 2020, 13:24

No, that's someone else. I read about two promising youngsters, pretty sure one has Groenewald as a surname.

Mar 05, 2020, 13:37

Chippo

What happened to your star, Wiaan Mulder?

Mar 05, 2020, 14:39

I do know that Mulder has been up to recently,   He went with the SA "A" team to India last year and the team did very well with Mulder being the top bowler an the top Batsman in the SA team.  he ahs not been much in the news since then, 

You need to Log in to reply.