The 2019CWC final

Forum » Cricket » The 2019CWC final

Jul 16, 2019, 02:41

will be remembered for many reasons besides being the greatest CWC final ever, it brought a rapid heartbeat to what otherwise has been a generally dull tournament and became the second most watched team sport with a TV audience of over 2.5 billion. A mighty achievement considering cricket is an unknown in many countries and it's for those reasons that the 2023CWC will be bigger and better. The final will be remembered around many a campfire conversation and wherever cricket lovers gather. Personally, it ranks alongside the 1995RWC final for in many ways it is a story of David vs Goliath and even as a neutral I couldn't help being gripped by the same emotions I experienced in that most memorable rugby final.  The final over was the icing on the cake, it not only showcased the great game of cricket,it also showcased that cricket is only second to soccer as a team sport.

Hard luck Kiwis, it's sad to lose in the way you did, I feel your pain. The result should have been done and dusted in the first hour of England batting, how they survived with wickets intact we'll never know but the Black Caps were denied at least three early big scalps. Let's just say that England were lucky. If it's any consolation I believe the Black Caps, all things being equal, will have most of the same players at the next WC sans Guptill and Taylor both of whom had little or no impact in the CWC2019 final.

In summary, none of Kane Williamson, Kholi, Joe Root and Warner distinguished themselves in the semi-finals or finals.

New Zealand were one of two teams who failed to score three hundred runs at any stage of the competition, the other was Bangladesh.

The wickets started off favoring the bat but to the latter part of the tournament it favored the ball...the quicks not spin.

Farewell to the once awesome Chris Gayle and "Slinger" Malinga, both well known characters and furniture of the game.

The Proteas remain the laughing stock of the cricket world, Faf remains my captain with reputation and respect as solid as the Bank of England.

Jul 16, 2019, 05:15

Good assessment Denny. Not as high as you on Faf as a captain.....but he is our best bat by far.

It now appears England's bats never crossed and so the famous 6 was really a 5, and Rashid should have faced the last 2 balls. Along with Erasmus'mistakes they were screwed.

Jul 16, 2019, 06:44

Yes I agree the Black Caps were hard done by, it clearly was an umpiring error. England, as I've said, can count themselves lucky and the Kiwis have every right to feel cheated. As for Faf, I've read your comments based on Faf's media comment......to me it came across as Faf being a diplomat. It's what he did on the field of play that sorely escapes the attention he richly deserves, neutral commentators picked up on it and collectively sing his praises......these are guys who know cricket. Besides that, imagine captaining a team with an injury list before the first ball is bowled and in the process find your gameplan shattered, again before the first ball is bowled. Then as the tournament progresses to round 2 you then discover that other than van der Dussen every player is down on form and that experienced heads like Miller and Duminy are duds? Ag look I don't see a need to defend Faf, I've always recognized him as a great captain, the best since re-admission and I don't mind being in disagreement with Koosie on this one, while he and I are on opposing sides I know I'm right.

Jul 16, 2019, 10:00

I wonder if a pigeon would make a better captain than Faf?

Jul 16, 2019, 10:23

What a great game.

I've never seen a game ebb and flow like that.

A worthy world cup final.

@Rooi... why do you ask that?

I thought faf has been a good captain for the proteas.

He's just lacked a lot of support. Thats hardly his fault.

Jul 16, 2019, 10:32

Micro-Chop, in case you don't know, Moffie and Dense have been behaving like a pair of spiteful little children on the Other Sports forum by hijacking every post of mine on the Tour de France with posts about pigeons. 

Having said that, I do think that Faf is a useless captain and it was never demonstrated better than this incident after Faf made some very poor decisions and we lost the game . . . and then he was so gutless that he didn't even pitch up at the post match press conference and sent Chris Morris instead.

He's a useless captain and he doesn't deserve the support that he most definitely got from his players. 

Jul 16, 2019, 11:29

Typical. A mile of bluster with no proof.....name the mistakes?

As for sending in Morris to do the post match..... ain't nothing unusual in that if the Captain has something that's caused him to skip the post match press conference. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. 

Jul 16, 2019, 11:37

I'm guessing that pigeons with poor breeding are not as fast as well-bred pigeons.

Jul 16, 2019, 11:41

Mozart

You wrote the following:-

"It now appears England's bats never crossed and so the famous 6 was really a 5, and Rashid should have faced the last 2 balls. Along with Erasmus' mistakes they were screwed."

Are you serious about that - who is that Erasmus/  Is it the umpire?   And the one incident where  the NZ fielders fouled up allowing a five un scored instead of one had a total influence on the outcome of the final.  Not a word about that from you.    

Jul 16, 2019, 11:42

yip, yip, yip

No proof, just hate-filled bluster. Nothings changed. 

Jul 16, 2019, 11:46

Mike, you are off the planet on this one. Moz has repeatedly said that the Kiwis were hard done by, there is at least two posts where he made mention of the umpires errors, there might be a third if I'm not mistaken.

Jul 16, 2019, 15:23

Poor old Tokkie flailing at shadows.

Jul 17, 2019, 00:49

I can't believe how Mike stumbles from one nonsensical allegation into another like it's his God given right to do so but then after falling face first into a load dog shyte he gets up and has another go without an apology. I'm still waiting for one after being accused of being Dale Steyn's strongest supporter. My patience is starting to thin.

Jul 17, 2019, 10:43

Stokes would have been at the non-strikers end because they would not have been considered to have crossed. That's the whole point.

You need to Log in to reply.