The amazing AB De Villiers come-back story

Forum » Cricket » The amazing AB De Villiers come-back story

Apr 30, 2020, 12:00

The following from CSM news:-

"AB de Villiers has denied reports he has been asked by Cricket South Africa to lead the Proteas, adding: "It's hard to know what to believe these days."

The batsman has not played international cricket since April 2018 but has been linked with a return ahead of the Twenty20 World Cup, which is scheduled to start in October in Australia.

De Villiers was quoted as saying to Star Sports Cricket Connected that he had not only held talks about a comeback but also over taking on a leadership role.

"The desire is there from my side to play for South Africa, and [I] have been asked by Cricket South Africa to lead the Proteas again," he said, before adding a comeback would only happen if he is "still good enough to be there" in the team.

However, the former Proteas skipper reacted to the story via Twitter on Wednesday.

"Reports suggesting Cricket SA have asked me to lead the Proteas are just not true," De Villiers tweeted out to his 6.9million followers. 

"It's hard to know what to believe these days. Crazy times. Stay safe everyone."

It is not hard to believe and it is time to come clean on the issue by Graeme Smith.  There must be some truth in the story.  A few days ago Smith announced that De Kock will remain as captain of the T20 and ODI sides, but will not captain the test side,   He gave no indication who was going to captain the test side leaving it up in the air.   This latest story confirms that the Coaching set-up wants AB back and is holding the captaincy as a drawcard to get AB back.

Not a very good idea as it is - not even clear that De Villers is the player we used to admire anymore and constant changing of captaincy is definitely a no-no.   

May 02, 2020, 02:08

yawn

You need to Log in to reply.