You need to LOG IN to reply.

The Protea choice.....

Forum » Cricket » The Protea choice.....

Jan 31, 2019, 11:22

of an allrounder is still inconclusive, no one of Phulukwayo, Pretorius or Mulder have provided the knockout punch to make the position his own. Mysteriously, Philander my pick,  has been left on the side line. What the side is screaming for is a big hitting batting allrounder who can chip in and take a few wickets and possibly also keep a tight line. None of the first three mentioned meet with the qualifications and worse is that there's a sameness about them. Age is against Philander and his batting has declined but he's a potent bowler against any top order. So there's a case for Philander, sadly there isn't for any one of the other three. 

Also critical is the choice of spinners, Tahir picks himself and Maharaj's selection is a no-brainer although he has also been mysteriously sidelined in place of the club level Shamsi.

Otis Gibson can be excused for casting the net far and wide leaving no stone unturned in pursuit of answers but he is running out of time, it's time to shut up shop. I would open with Markram and De Kock with Van Der Dussen at first drop and Amla if he is to be retained moved into the 4th slot. Personally I would drop Amla, the great batsmen is being ravaged by father time and Gibson must surely be aware that no-one can wind back the clock. The catch he dropped off Rabada says it all.

The question then is who to replace him? Faf would move into four and Duminy comes in at five unless of course there's some young hot shot making signals on the domestic front.

Lastly, Steyn is starting to bother me, not seriously enough but I just see enough signs to create doubt. I would feel a lot more comfortable if the young quick Nortje is included in the WC squad.

Feb 01, 2019, 01:18

Denny

I would change  the top 3 slightly, namely -

De Kock
Van der Dussen
Markram

Next to floow -

Hendricks
Du Plessis

I am not sure whether Amla should be in the squad - unfortunately Father Time is setting in.  Maybe he would be in the squad - but is unlikely to play in matches.

As to Duminy I have not seen him play for the past year.   He is also out of the IPL where he ahs played for years. He has been injured for months now.    Is Father Time catching up with him as well?   

I would rather go for Hamla - aside from batting he is a legspinner as well,

As to the question of Steyn - he was ineffective in the Pakistan ODI's.   Maybe due to long injury absence I think that he has lost some pace.    Quite expensive as well.   I would no doubt include Ngidi, Nortje, Rabada and Viljoen as the fast bowlers.

Nortje has been contracted with Colcutta Knight Riders for the IPL series -  I believe on the advice of Kallis -  and we will see how he performed in that format of the game.   

It really is sad that there are doubts about greats like Amla and Steyn, but performance should be the main requirement..      

Feb 01, 2019, 01:21

You need to Log in to reply.