You need to LOG IN to reply.

The second T20 against Pakistan

Forum » Cricket » The second T20 against Pakistan

Feb 03, 2019, 16:14

They rested Faf and brought in Janneman Malan,   He actually struggled against the Spinners initially - but then made good in attacking play.   He ended up with 33 runs of 31 balls -  3 fours and 2 sixes included,   Good debut I would say,   However he struggled against the spin bowlers,

Van der Dussen came in and made 45 runs off 27 balls - inclusive of 1 four and 4 sixes,  That was followed by Miller - who scored 65 of 29 balls through 4 fours and 5 sixes.

However,  I have a serious question - why does the team have only club bowlers to defend a decent total.    Those bowlers are three of the worst I have ever seen playing for the Proteas - Dala. Shamsi and Hendricks are not international quality players.

Morris and Phehlukwayo caused the damage that stopped the Pakistani's in their tracks and they lost the game by 7 runs.   . 

Feb 04, 2019, 03:44

Spot-on they are club bowler standard, I said as much in an earlier post and like you I can't believe coach Gibson is rolling with them. Van der Dussen is a breath of fresh air in all levels of the game and remains the find of the season. Glad to see Miller standing up for the second game in a row. 

Feb 04, 2019, 04:40

Denny

I would like to see more of Malan - more experience against quality spinners would help in the long run. 

I know Nortje was injured, but why is he not back in the squad yet - he is three times the bowler the three above-named are.  As to Shamsi - I would rather have Hamza in the squad - he is a better spinner than Shamsi and  a hell of a lot better as batsman as well.   

The fools  at one stage were advocating for Klaasen to replace De Kock in all formats of the game.  He was the most useless batsman of the Proteas in a number of games now and was actually dropped from the ODI squad..

I love to see players capable of hitting sixes in the shortened version of the game and in the game yesterday they really did well in that regard:-

Malan                 -    2 sixes and 3 fours

Van der Dussen  -    4 sixes and 1 four

Miller                  -    5 sixes and 4 fours

Reeza Hendricks also made 4 fours and in total the boundaries accounted for l14  of the Proteas runs - ie 60,64% of all runs scored.   of those 52 was scored by the two rookies in the team = not bad either.     

You need to Log in to reply.