They don’t want Quinton de Kock on strike in the last over...

Forum » Cricket » They don’t want Quinton de Kock on strike in the last over...

Jan 26, 2020, 17:44

......hahaha. Not much chance of that when after a series of lucky escapes, including a Chinese cut past his wicket in the prior over, he is castled. Well done some might say, and certainly the other Protea batsmen were awful. But was Quintie batting at a snail’s pace any more convincing than Stuart Broad with the bat? Debateable!

Jan 26, 2020, 18:00

Hell -  but you are painful.   suggest you go and see a shrink - maybe he can give you something to help with dementia. 

Jan 26, 2020, 18:25

So how do you like Proteas cricket without Smith, Kallis, Amla, AB and Stein? Still enjoying the ‘quality youngsters’?

Jan 26, 2020, 19:03

There are NO quality youngsters other than De Kock and Nortje in that team in this test,  Both did their part very well.   The rest of the team are all 29+ years old - so youngsters they are not, They all are hasbeens or never-has-beens.  Wake up please, dimness.        

Jan 26, 2020, 19:03

Duplicate

Jan 26, 2020, 19:13

So the ‘quality youngsters’ aren’t even good enough to put pressure on 30 year old debutants.......hahaha. Oh let me guess, the selectors have a bias against youngsters or some other bent reason for not choosing future stars waiting in the wings.

Jan 26, 2020, 19:52

They are better than the 30 year-olds and much better as well - but read what I said about the Selection Committee made up of amateurs.  

In discussions today the panel referred repeatedly to the fact that Erasmus brought in younger and better plyers into the squad to strengthen it,    Matter of fact half of the discussion was about what Erasmus did to get the Springboks back on track and  that a similar approach is needed about the cricket set-up.   The experts also spoke about the need to bring younger players into the squad - same as England did.   

I suppose you know more about the game than people like Haysman, Pollard, Atjherton and Hussein do,    The latter two saw the pre-test games in which players like Verreyne, Sipamla and Van Tonder played,          

Jan 26, 2020, 19:52

Duplication

Jan 26, 2020, 20:28

I saw Hamza the highest rated of these youngsters by way of selection.....not very convincing. But  did your panel also mention the MOM in the WC final.....veteran Vermeulen who you said would flop?

Jan 26, 2020, 21:19

I never said Vermeulen would flop - I had reservations about him  after he did well in the first two tests against England,  vanished form the scene in the third, did not play in the Rugby Championship  and was nothing much in the end of year tour - all true.

I did not lie and carry on about him like you did in respect of Du Toit and De Allende,   

Anyway this has nothing to do with the issue about cricket.   Further flops by Malan, Elgar, Van der Dussen, Du Plessis and Bavuma  will just confirm my opinion  - all has to go asap.    Hope Du Plessis announces his retirement from test cricket soon.    

Jan 26, 2020, 21:52

Well we have One Day matches against England, Oz and India coming up. The smart move might  be to retire from One Dayers as well.

Jan 26, 2020, 22:34

Mozart

The message may have sunk in - neither Du Plessis nor Elgar is in the ODI squad against England and Rabada and Nortje are being rested.   De Kock is to captain the team in that series.   There are a few of the youngsters - not enough by any means - in the ODI squad, 

There are also two invitation matches between an SA Invitation side and England on 31 January and 1 February in Paarl before the ODI series so we would see who  are in the SA team in those two matches.               

Jan 26, 2020, 22:51

Moz you are picking on the wrong bat - de Kock has been our only shinning light with the bat

The lad is a class act

Your take on de Kock mirrors your take on PSDT

Jan 26, 2020, 23:00

Dave

Mozart has been anti De Kock since the day he replaced Smith as ODI opening batsman,  Same with Du Toit since he threatened the selection of Matfield in 2014.

Has never changed and will never change,           

Jan 26, 2020, 23:41

Dave.....you are ‘shinning’ up the wrong tree.....a great bat when the pitch is dead, witness the Pom record partnership for the last wicket. Turn, swing and seam will always upend de Ock.

Jan 26, 2020, 23:57

Wanker Okie is 27years old.....if  he is a youngster, how old is a veteran?

The only youngsters I can see who would challenge for a spot in the Pom team are Rabada and Nortje, who are both bowlers. I can’t see one up coming batsman of consequence.

Jan 27, 2020, 00:00

Rubbish Moz, depending on his mood de Kock can dig in and play anything thrown at him

If you have an attacking mindset then you are going to edge a swinging ball.

He bats at 6 so is always going to be left short with the tail, so invariably has no time to build an innings.

You are barking at the wrong player - you tell us Faf is still one of our best - no he is not he is shit and never been that good

Jan 27, 2020, 00:26

De Kock  is one of the 10 best batsmen  in the world.   Any foreign team will pay a fortune to get him,   He is one of the big  earners in IPL and is making millions in that series already,  So try again.    

Jan 27, 2020, 07:40

en[edit]

ICC Top 10 Test Batsmen 
RankNameRating
1India Virat Kohli928
2Australia Steve Smith911
3Australia Marnus Labuschagne827
4New Zealand Kane Williamson814
5Australia David Warner793
6India Cheteshwar Pujara791
7Pakistan Babar Azam767
8India Ajinkya Rahane759
9England Joe Root752
10England Ben Stokes745

Jan 27, 2020, 07:43

ICC Top 10 ODI Batsmen 
RankNameRating
1India Virat Kohli886
2India Rohit Sharma868
3Pakistan Babar Azam829
4South Africa Faf du Plessis815
5New Zealand Ross Taylor810
6Australia David Warner796
7New Zealand Kane Williamson789
8England Joe Root776
9South Africa Quinton de Kock773
10Australia Aaron Finch769

Faf is our top ranked ODI batsman objectively ranked 4th in the world....not so good hey Dave. Case closed!

Jan 27, 2020, 08:02

That list change after every test played  the last one I saw was De Kock at 10 after the second test.  After the performance of De Kock in this test he will be back - probably at 9.   As to ODI batsmen Du Plessis will be out of the top ten after the upcoming series anyway.  Still wonder how he manage to be at 4 in ODI's anyway.

A number of other players - like Anderson and Philander will also be out of the top ten bowlers very soon.   Philander was rather poor in the present test series and has retired as well.      

The lists are amended on Monday every week - so we will see what the position is next week.  Nortje likely to move into the top 20 from 73 as well.

Anyway - De Kock by a mile is still the best wicket-keeping batsman in the world.          

Jan 27, 2020, 17:22

Instructive to see Nortje forced to resort to the reverse sweep to push things along.....obviously he had no confidence Ockie would hold up his end.

Jan 28, 2020, 09:23

Balls from the normal bigoted  idiot. 

Jan 28, 2020, 16:18

Our bright young talent is Marnus Labuschagne on the batting side....unfortunately things are such that he is playing for Australia. Look at Marnus .....then look at Markram and Hamza.....and you have light years of difference in application and defensive technique.

Jan 28, 2020, 16:37

Rubbish Markram looks technically the better bat who also had a bright first test season.

Let’s see where Marnus is in 12 months time

Jan 28, 2020, 18:03

Sure in your world Markram looks like the better bat, in everybody else’s world it looks like this:

Jan 28, 2020, 19:15

I said technically he looks better, I did not say he was currently better than Labs but one certainty is that Labs will not be staying on top of the world when he is no longer the new boy on the block.

He looks a good bat but certainly not better than Markram at his best. Cricket is such a leveller - right now Labs is sky high, Markram is struggling

That will change for both of them

Jan 28, 2020, 20:18

Markram’ a issue, unlike De Ock, is not technique.....it’s reflexes....hand/eye. If you had Markram’s technique and De Ock’s hand/eye you’d have Marnus.

Jan 28, 2020, 20:28

Disagree - Marnus does not have a great technique at all and is a new boy. He will be found out and will go through the same cycle as 95% of test bats do

When Markram started his test career we were all waxing lyrical

Marnus plays well on his legs but that open shuffle leaving him front on exposes him on the off side. He edges plenty through the slip and point area. Markram is far more technically correct and far better on the off side.

It’s only a matter of time before sides have worked the new boy on the block out

Jan 28, 2020, 20:39

Well in his last test he made 215....I guess they haven’t found him out yet.

Jan 28, 2020, 21:07

Nope go watch the highlights of that innings and take note of all the edges

Jan 28, 2020, 21:53

I’d watch Marnus for 363 balls in his last innings,  if you agree to watch Markram for 5 balls in his last innings...but that seems like such a burden for you Dave!

Jan 28, 2020, 23:12

You miss the point Moz, Markram is struggling Marnus is not. That’s the present - with that technique his peak will not last forever.

I’d put money on the fact that by age 30, so in 5 years time Markram will have proved to be the better bat of the two.

You need to Log in to reply.