You need to LOG IN to reply.

Time's running out..

Forum » Cricket » Time's running out..

Feb 28, 2019, 02:34

for coach Gibson to decide on a final makeup of the WC squad. He has at his disposal a world class attack and that's the easy bit but as we all know batting is a major problem and getting worse not better. I question the merits of Dale Benkenstein as the batting coach, he has nothing to show for a less than average Protea performance, on the contrary Gibson, an above average bowler at his best has improved the attack. 

The WC is not going to be won by a team with only an attack, it's going to be won by a team that excels in both bat and ball. Gibson has made an awful mistake fronting with 5 recognised batsmen. Markram should be playing in all of the ODI games so as to gain experience and the duds should have been culled.

Feb 28, 2019, 10:24

It’s rediculous that our best young bat in Markram has yet to feature in an ODI game this year. It’s bloody stupidity. He is both gifted and attacking - what more could you ask for.

Feb 28, 2019, 11:04

I see Gibson as an attack orientated coach and there's no doubt he's brought that WI's bowling attack along with him.....Ngidi for example reminds me of Joel Garner and Rabada reminds me of Michael Holding. He also brought short pitched bowling into the attack and we saw quite a bit of it in Duaine Olivier.

But as far as the batting is concerned there has been no improvement and even though blind freddie knows that Houston is in deep shit with regards to the batting the man has audaciously left Markram out of the squad. Markram is potentially a star in the making in my not so humble opinion. With only 5 ODI's before the WC one would think that he'd give Markram as much experience possible leading into the WC.

You say "blooody stupidity"...I can say a lot worse!

Feb 28, 2019, 11:56

Yeah our bowling department looks good am looking forward to seeing the new kid in action Nortje. I liked the look of Sipamla so the stocks are good. Rabada and Ngidi are class and I am a big fan of Andile as an all rounder. Not seen enough of Mulder yet.

But where are our bats? With only Markram and de Kock being classy youngsters, where are the rest.

Rassie and Hendricks look good but they are both 29, why the late recognition? The same happened with Rillee and Stiaan v Zyl. Is Hamza our next in line, if so we are in shit - the little I saw of him did not impress he looks technically challenged as did Malan.

We appear to be in shit street when it comes to young batting talent - although our u19 side from a year or so ago had some good looking bats in it. There was a Breetske that opened with an Indian guy - both looked classy. There is also a Richards I think - but where are they now?

Feb 28, 2019, 12:06

Sorry, I don't get to see the local talent so I can't comment but our local posters might be able to help.

Like you I've noticed that our batsmen only come to hand at a late age, Markram being the exception.

Feb 28, 2019, 12:52

Marques Ackerman

Remember the name

Feb 28, 2019, 15:02

Someone mentioned him on Facebook - Flash

Feb 28, 2019, 15:21

Dave

There is that guy Van Tonder who last year in the Under 19 WC was the captain of the SA team.  After the tournament he was selected as captain of the World Team.   Another guy was I think Makwetu who in the same tournament was the SA WK and batted at 5 - a great hitter of balls.

There was a classy all-rounder also in the same squad who at 17 years of age was bowling at 140 + kms already.

You do not like Hamza - but he is a good prospect,   I have seen him play a couple of times and he is better than you rate him.

I personally think that Van der Dussen is a very good player with another 5 years or so ahead of him.   I do not really rate Hendricks, but he seems to be the flavor of the month at present.

The sooner they get Markram and Hamza in the squad the better it would be for the Proteas.      

Feb 28, 2019, 15:21

Dave

There is that guy Van Tonder who last year in the Under 19 WC was the captain of the SA team.  After the tournament he was selected as captain of the World Team.   Another guy was I think Makwetu who in the same tournament was the SA WK and batted at 5 - a great hitter of balls.

There was a classy all-rounder also in the same squad who at 17 years of age was bowling at 140 + kms already.

You do not like Hamza - but he is a good prospect,   I have seen him play a couple of times and he is better than you rate him.

I personally think that Van der Dussen is a very good player with another 5 years or so ahead of him.   I do not really rate Hendricks, but he seems to be the flavor of the month at present.

The sooner they get Markram and Hamza in the squad the better it would be for the Proteas.      

Feb 28, 2019, 15:28

@Saffex, been watching him since his days at St Stithians.
Elegant batsman, excellent fielder.

Yet to be tested properly though, but that goes for any youngster.

@Mike
"I do not really rate Hendricks, but he seems to be the flavor of the month at present."
I don't think flavour of the month is very accurate.
I  think you should use the phrase "in form batsman"

Feb 28, 2019, 16:07

I can’t get excited about Rassie the guy is 29

Mar 01, 2019, 04:17

Seems like the best on offer as there are no young guns with the exception of Markram likely to make the squad. Have to say it's hugely disappointing and will continue to be after the WC.

They should forget the pending WC and plan for the next. 

Mar 01, 2019, 09:44

One has to ask the question, why has it taken so long to recognise the likes of Rassie?

You don’t suddenly become a handy bat aged 29

There are some seriously short sighted people involved in SA cricket selections.

What they did to the likes of Rillee Rossouw for instance is unforgivable

Mar 01, 2019, 13:00

Dave the answer is simple - the quota system coupled to the persistence with over-the-hill players who do not produce the goods anymore.   

Mar 01, 2019, 13:19

Name the quotas?

Mar 01, 2019, 15:41

Denny

I think this was not restricted to test cricket or ODI's my comments dealt also with franchise cricket.  

On international level I think that the following is or has in the past year became quota selections:-

Amla, Hendricks, Bavuma as Batsmen

The bowlers are largely made up by Black and Indian players and are in the main selected on merit.   The only one who is a definite quota is Shamsi,   .    

The players whose batting are substandard include Elgar and De  Bruyn 

Mar 01, 2019, 20:21

Amla and Bavuma are NOT quota players and nor is Hendricks.

The word quota being associated with Amla is insulting.

Of the younger bats I have seen Bavuma is one of the most gifted. His test average is not good enough but he has started to look the part recently until the 2 Sri Lankan tests

Mar 01, 2019, 21:00

Dave

I find that Mike says stupid things and is unaware that he does.

Amla a quota???? 

It begs the question whether Mike understands the meaning of the word in the South African context.

Mar 01, 2019, 21:09

Good old Mike is at full throttle with his anti Amla.

Hash is past it but hopefully will go out with a bang at the WC. He needs to retire thereafter as does Steyn and Tahir

Mar 01, 2019, 21:24

Hope I haven't put a curse on Nortje but for obvious reasons I have a high opinion of  him.

Enjoy the game.

Mar 01, 2019, 21:41

Looking forward to seeing him bowl have heard good things about this kid

Chances are we won’t see him in the first ODI, we will have to wait

Did not realise he is 25 already - another class act ignored by the selectors

Mar 02, 2019, 03:46

Denny and Dave

If you only read what I said about who recently became quotas you would realize that perhaps I am right,   Read what happened to Amla in the match yesterday between the Cape Cobras and the Titans and you may realize why Amla is now a quota, 

Dave - if Bavuma is that good - why is his stats so low?   He had his chaces and time is running out for him to become good enough to play test cricket.   

You need to Log in to reply.