Van der Dussen plays the best Proteas innings of the series...

Forum » Cricket » Van der Dussen plays the best Proteas innings of the series...

Jan 27, 2020, 17:34

Why do they keep picking these 30 year old failures? If we had Hamza at 3 it would have saved everybody a whole lot of time.

Van der Dussen in full flow is an elegant bat, who should have been in the mix earlier in his career.

Jan 27, 2020, 18:39

The Malan second innings at Newlands were better IMO, but it makes the same point.

Jan 27, 2020, 21:07

Yep the 30 year olds getting debuts makes no sense - where were they at 23?

But both failed in the series as a whole so both not worth investing in - move on

Sack all the bats except de Kock who averaged 48 this series, the rest of the bats failed dismally

Jan 27, 2020, 21:21

Against India Okie averaged 26, scoring 5,4 and 5 in his last 3 innings...by your rule Dave he should have been sacked to bring in a younger talent. Hell by the next WC he’ll be a 30 year old. Why invest in these guys who are on the slippery slope.

Jan 27, 2020, 21:42

Nope he is a proven class act so never gets dropped

The likes of Rassie, Malan etc have proved nothing and have failed

Players like Amla, AB, Kallis etc were pure class and were never up for the axe - they determined the time they called it a day

de Kock falls into the same bracket

Jan 27, 2020, 22:10

I guess being a class act is like being Harry. You can be played for a fool by a self centered women, but the moment you show the slightest bit of form you can rejoin the Royal  er Class family.

Jan 27, 2020, 22:21

Read what I wrote about runs being scored and the average for this series,   I gave credit to Van der Dussen and  think that he us a good cricketer, but from a longer team perspective not a basis to deal with the future of the Proteas,    Other than De Kock Van der Dussen was the only batsman who showed a will to fight back but unfortunately his batting performances are erratic.  For instance in the first Proteas innings of the 4th test he scored a duck,  In the 8 innings Van der Dussen batted he made 3 fifties, but in five innings he was poor to below par.

I do think that if there is another batsman to be retained other than De Kock it could be Van der Dussen for the next year or so - but that will not be  a longer term solution as to team building must be priority 1,    

Jan 28, 2020, 00:02

Nope he has long proved he is a class act the world over much like PSDT has

The best wicket keeper bat SA has ever had

His test average of 40 odd for an attacking number 6 says it all

You need to Log in to reply.