Verreynne

Forum » Cricket » Verreynne

Mar 02, 2020, 14:07

I was hoping to see poetry but he is not that, he apparently has a great temperament being compared to Amla

Looks a busy player and credit to him getting 48 on debut

Saying that Labascagne is anything but poetry but looks very confident and busy

Mar 02, 2020, 14:43

Hmmm . . . so if watching elegant batsmen like Darryl Cullinan, Herschelle Gibbs and Virat Kohli is like reading poetry, then could we say that watching clumsy tailenders like Glenn McGrath, Allan Donald or Curtley Ambrose is like reading an ou Maaik post? 

Mar 02, 2020, 16:51

Dave this was Verreynne's first match on international level and came in when the SA team was in deep trouble from a batting perspective.  His first ten or so balls he was hesitant and trying to find his feet.   As the innings went on he improved a lot so in forthcoming games you will see he really is a class act,  

No ii is reading factual manuscripts Rooinek - not the junk you produce on site. LMAO         .  

Mar 02, 2020, 16:51

Now now Rooi but yes!!!

Mar 02, 2020, 16:56

Mike that’s not my point, my point is that he is not an elegant bat, I can’t see classic cover drives coming from him etc but so what, you don’t see that from Steve Smith either but boy can he bat

Verreynne bats ugly but that is ok if he keeps making runs. There are many ugly bats about - another is Rassie and to a lesser extent Faf

At the other end you get classy looking bats like de Kock, Bavuma and Markram

Mar 03, 2020, 00:10

Hats off to the kid, he made his debut with the Proteas under pressure and went onto score 48 runs against the current best fast bowling attack in the world.

Mar 03, 2020, 00:47

Yep, he has started well

Pity Malan got such a peach of a ball on debut and is now out injured

Nightmare debut

Mar 03, 2020, 00:49

Sh#t happens.…..I'd stick with him, he deserves another shot.

Mar 03, 2020, 01:07

Yes he has a good first class record and is 23 we need to see what he can do but unfortunately he won’t play in this series and the injury has kept him out of the squad going to India 

Mar 03, 2020, 10:26

Dave

It is very difficult to e an element bat on a difficult itch like the Paarl one was,  Elegant batsmen  like Smith (3 fours in the 76 runs scored by him and no sixes), Labuschagne and Warner struggled on the pitch as well.   

Even though Klaasen made a classic 123 runs he initially struggled on the pitch as well.   When the partnership between  him and Verreynne reached fifty runs,   Verreynne's contribution was 32 runs and Klaasen was 18.   The same lasted until Verreyne was out  and the partnership was 76 runs of  which Verreyne contributed 44 and Klaasen 32.   Klaasen only increased his strike rate after he reached 50 runs.  Credit to him about his batting, but that does not take away from the fact that neither of the Australian batsmen showed their classy abilities on the pitch,

One will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow in Bloemfontien vefore a real assessment can be made.               

Mar 03, 2020, 12:08

There is nothing elegant about Smith or Labs as bats

The pitch had nothing to do with how they look as bats

Verreynne does not look elegant at all and that’s not going to change right now

But that’s fine if he keeps making runs

Steve Smith is the perfect example - he lacks elegance but is one of the best bats in the game

You need to Log in to reply.