Well done Sarel

Forum » Cricket » Well done Sarel

Feb 25, 2022, 02:20

on a well struck 50....take a bow. What a remarkable comeback after a dismal debut in the 1st Test I hope he goes on to score a big one as the teams go to lunch. This is just the tonic the team needed and perhaps this time Markram can also stand up and show us his true self. 

Go the Proteas!

Feb 25, 2022, 08:29

I watched all of his innings, it was a joy to watch. I take back my reservations about him debuting at 32 years of age, Sarel is the real deal, my only question is why have they waited do long to give him a start when apparently he's been part of the squad for quite some time.

Feb 25, 2022, 10:33

Well, well, well!!! What a pleasant surprize...glad to stand corrected in such a way. Well done Sarel indeed...

Feb 25, 2022, 10:37

Great start by the Proteas in a reversal of form! Very brave to choose to bat after the first test but proved to be the right call. All on tomorrow!

Feb 25, 2022, 10:41

Denny

I have been following Erwee's performances for the Dolphins for a couple if years and would ahve liked to see him in the Proteas team for the past few years.     He was always a much better batsman than the other openers they used - he should have been the opening batsman for the past four years at least and when he was picked for the first test and failed I thought he was not able to take the step up to test level.   

The man is a very strong hitter of balls and is to my mind a better shorter version batsman than test batsman.     Hope he does well in the second innings as well.  

They should never open the batting with Markram - he is a very useful all-rounder and should bat at 4 or even 5.   Aside from that he is also a very good fielder.   .              

Feb 25, 2022, 11:19

Another guy that was good enough about 7 years ago and is now a new stop-gap in a long line of Protea stop-gaps.

Can’t wait for Rickleton to get a decent shot in about a decade.

Feb 25, 2022, 11:45

Mike, his cover drives were classic....straight out of the text book....so was Markram's. They are stroke players who effortlessly caress the ball. Markram was his own worst enemy by flaying at a wide ball that was never going to hit his stumps.

Sarel batted for almost 5 hours and I sensed he was both mentally and physically drained after he scored his ton I could tell because he sat on 101 for a long time.

I'm excited, we could have the makings of a good team when "Kevin" reappears and let's not forget there's Rickleton and Janneman in the waiting room. Think Dassie is more suited to the white ball ODI game instead of test cricket and Elgar is all heart without any skills. I'd be happy for them to make way for the new generation.

Just by the bye, apparently it's the first time in 34 Tests that a SAFFA opening pair scored 100 runs.

Feb 25, 2022, 12:35

Pity so late

Feb 25, 2022, 18:07

Had a good knock on a flat track - at 32 he is a pointless selection

The investment should be in Janneman Malan, Rickelton and v Tonder

Feb 25, 2022, 18:48

What a change to see the players finally delivering.

Pleased to see Markram get a few runs hopefully his confidence will be restored and he will be over his form issue.

Erwee surprised many a pundit but his domestic record backs his performance in this test.

Thankfully the selectors made a change in the bowling line up.

Well four more days to go and a ton of cricket in store for us.

Enjoy.

Feb 27, 2022, 18:46

Oops.

You need to Log in to reply.