What a disgraceful test batting line up

Forum » Cricket » What a disgraceful test batting line up

Dec 26, 2022, 17:33

Game after game they keep failing yet we see blind faith in their continued selection

What is SA cricket hoping to achieve with a top 5 all over the age of 30 and all with shocking test averages and most have piss poor FC averages as well

Why not drop these complete no hopers and identify 5 young bats and show some long term investment in them?

Give them the security of the next 10 tests and let them get on with it. I’d rather see a bunch of 20 year olds struggling to get 200 an innings than a bunch of 30 plus year olds doing the same

Verreynne is coming of age after a slow test start. He has a good FC average and showed some ability in ODI’s, now he is doing the same in tests

We have a good few youngsters who have respectable high 40’s FC averages. Be brave and wipe the slate clean and select these youngsters starting with Dewald Brevis (19)

Others include

Josh Richards (24) - 49 average

Rickelton (26) - 54 average

van Tonder (24) - 46 average

Hermann (21) - 79 average

Malan (26) - 48 average

Bird (21) - 57 average

de Swardt (24) - 53 average

Dec 26, 2022, 18:42

Dave you get my vote.

Shocking to see the failure rate from the so called mature experienced players game after game.

Sure enjoyed the knock from Jansen and the Verreynne once more.

The rest are a waste of time watching.

Denny once again you summed up the series correctly weeks prior to the first test.

Not watching it live but only the short report on YT.

What a mess.

Dec 26, 2022, 18:52

I watched the first session live last evening then recorded the rest and watched it this morning

I’m not going to bother tonight

Dec 26, 2022, 19:07

Arthur you can get the cricket on Willow, it’s decent value for money. Right now the Indian and Pakistan tests get preference, but you get some action and a good highlights hour.

Dec 26, 2022, 19:45

Thanks mozart but I have a "Fish Stick" that gives me access to almost every sport and TV channel world wide.

I am not watching the live broadcasts because I cannot tolerate watching the dismal performances from most of the players in the Proteas line up.

Shocking.

Sad but true.

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2022, 19:57

I feel your pain. The irony is the Aussie team that is beating us has first  6 bats….36, 36, 28,33, 28 and 33 years old. Age is not the issue, nor is youth a general solution.

The question is what happened to the class headed by Ock and Markram. These other old players were just latecomers. They are failing  predictably. But why did the youngsters of 2015 never emerge.

Dec 26, 2022, 21:26

Mozart

Age s not the issue - but Dave gave the provincial stats of some players,   Not won of the failures come near to 40 points on provincial level.    That is where the problem lies,   You cannot start building up a team if you have shit batsmen.   That is the long and the short of the matter.      

Dec 26, 2022, 21:32

Hey AJH how well do those illegal sticks work, my son was going to get one but it never materialised

Moz big difference between the Oz and SA bats is that their old bats were identified early on and have run the distance except for Travis Head

With our lot we have the warped perception that Elgar is good when in fact a test average of 38 tells you otherwise

Then we have the technically good looking Bavuma who continues to fail but gets retained because of the colour of his skin

The likes of Erwee, Rassie, Zondo and de Bryn have all been introduced late in their careers - all with bog ordinary FC averages - so one has to ask why these players, when clearly there are younger players about with far better FC averages

The issue lies with really poor selectors who clearly are not there on merit who keep investing in older players with poor averages

By the way Oz have Green at 6 and he is 23

We seem to have got it wrong after losing the likes of Smith, Amla, Kallis and AB. Instead of looking to the youngsters we settled for the older bats who could not make it into the side because of Amla and co

We settled for the likes of Elgar and Faf and have introduced many no hopers since

It’s now come to a head with what looks to be the worst test batting line up in our history

Dec 27, 2022, 00:31

We can debate why this debacle has occurred but I agree with you that line up are never going to be competitive. By the way, in the first test Oz had Boland who is 33 at 6 and Green at 7.

Dec 27, 2022, 00:54

Boland was night watchman in that game

Dec 27, 2022, 03:33

Yep just figured that out looking at his batting averages…..my bad.

Dec 27, 2022, 05:32

Mozart

You agree the batting line-up is bad - yet you seem to disagree that they should be replaced "since they are the best in their positions".    That is rather at ods with the position as outlined by Dave as set out above.   

When such a real investigation is done and the only norm is to compare apples with apples - compare how the test players perform on provincial level with how competitors perform on that level.   

Don't you think that the above should be a major issue when a crisis level of incompetence is revealed and exists?    Why is the policy to select only older players and exclude players younger than 27 from selection correct?         

Dec 27, 2022, 09:33

You agree the batting line-up is bad - yet you seem to disagree that they should be replaced "since they are the best in their positions".

Sounds like our resident cricketing genius is at odds with himself.....confused.....or just plainly clueless.

Either way "since they are the best in their positionsdelivers on a steady flow of comic relief.

I'm not complaining.

Laughing graphics

Dec 27, 2022, 12:39

Disgraceful selections...no wonder Bouch left...

Dec 27, 2022, 13:08

And probably why de Koch could not be bothered and why we see KG just going through the motions

That poor bowling attack never has anything to work with

Dec 27, 2022, 13:09

Lunch Day 1 the Proteas were 48/4........you'd have to question the sanity of this statement.."since they are the best in their positions"

The best isn't good enough with no hope of it getting better, commonsense tells us that there's hope in backing the future, a future selected on merit.

The dwarf and his club standard mate Zonko are just ANC noms who are never going to score runs.....Dad's army who make up the balance is never going to cut it.

But then it doesn't stop there, throw into the mix a clueless CSA as well at their clueless Director of Rugby and the new coach who replaced Boucher. The Titanic has set sail.

I warned about the decline in our cricket long before the team flew out.

Dec 27, 2022, 14:04

It’s so easy to fix - dump the top 5 and replace them with youngsters with credible FC averages

Give those youngsters the security of the next 10 tests to settle in and prove their worth

1. Bird / Hermann 2. Richards / Janneman Malan 3. Brevis 4. Markram / v Tonder 5. Rickelton / de Swardt 6. Verreynne

Unfortunately it will never happen, particularly from a skin colour point of view

Dec 27, 2022, 17:41

Dave I have had mine since January and it works very well.

Most if not all my friends here in Canada and RSA have connected and thus far I have not heard of any issues regarding the programs and/or the service.

Cheers.

Dec 27, 2022, 18:03

AJH I love the idea of getting one. I’m sick of paying stupid subscription fees for every additional package

I did not have BT Sport which is showing the Rugby Champions Cup so I added it to my package at fucking £28 a month for 18 months literally to watch the rugby

I pay close to £200 a month for all the TV packages now - it’s fucking crazy

Dec 28, 2022, 10:00

AJH, where can one go to find out more about your setup specifically?.....

I have family overseas that would really like watch some SA sport, but have no idea where to start or what to get...

Dec 28, 2022, 13:45

Another duck for Elgar.   When will he be shown the door?   

Dec 28, 2022, 13:45

Another duck for Elgar.   When will he be shown the door?   

Dec 28, 2022, 20:39

DA,

The item is called a pre-programmed stick.

Here is the email address and Text #.

Pitstop Technology

email: ed@guinasso.com

Text # (206) 650-7176 (USA)

Important to also mention to him what voltage your country uses for appliances plus the frequency.

ie. USA   110 V   60 Hertz

RSA   220 V   50 Hertz (Sometimes.....)

All prices are in US Dollars.

He will purchase the Stick and program it for you.

Two prices one for the purchase of the stick and the second is an annual re-program price for the stick.

Not sure what the cost is now but I have to renew my stick at the end of January 2023 then I will be able to let you know what the annual renewal fee is.

All the subscriber requires is the Internet and a Smart TV.

Trust it helps.

Dec 29, 2022, 08:24

Thanks so much AJH, that is a massive help

Dec 29, 2022, 17:25

DA if you Google IPTV you will find many other contacts for this service.

The one I selected for my service was just across the border in the USA but there are many, many other companies besides this one on the internet.

Plus cheaper than my provider.

Dec 30, 2022, 08:03

Shot, thank you for that AJH

You need to Log in to reply.