You need to LOG IN to reply.

What caused the loss of the Proteas today?

Forum » Cricket » What caused the loss of the Proteas today?

Feb 16, 2019, 16:49

Lets face facts there are serious problems in their batting line-up and the problem is the same players whose battin are problematic are poor fielders as well.   After all catches win matches and the fact is Elgar did not even pretend to endeavor a catch within half a meter from him. 

The problem with batsmen are that when their eye-hand co-ordination goes out of the window and there reaction time is slowed down you find that they start showing  decline in performances.    They start off having one good score in about 6 innings they bat in and save their selections by hoping such a gift innings occur.

So where are the real problems in the Proteas line-up:-

*   I am afraid that Amla has show again that he is past his sell-by date and that it would be better if he is shown the door.   This great player is very busy destroying his reputation.   His batting is very iffy and his fielding - at the best of times was never top class - at this stage he is the worst fielder in the team.

*   Elgar is a fighter with very poor batting technique.   He can survive and get reasonable good scores - but he must be exceedingly lucky.   However, he had a string of average to poor batting figures recently and his atrocious fielding does not help either,

*   We cannot afford Philander anymore.   He still function on reputation - but even though he still takes wickets the fact is that his pace in bowling is down by about 10 kms and he can be easily handled by batters - so he is rather expensive.   He also have constant injury problems - for instance he could not bowl today.

I would say that the following team changes should be made with a view to the future and especially the upcoming WC:-

1   Markram  - also had his lows as a batter in the last test - but he is an excellent fielder

2   Van der Dussen

3   Du Plessis

4   Bavuma

5   Hamza

6   De Kock

7   Muller

8   Steyn

9   Rabada

10 Ngidi

11 Olivier/Nortje/Maharaj *

*    Depending on the pitch conditions. 

Feb 16, 2019, 20:51

The following extract from a news 24 article says it all:-

"Dangerously few of their present top five, for instance, look bedded down in their particular positions, and the situation is aggravated by supposedly core, highly experienced customers like Hashim Amla and Dean Elgar skating on ever-thinning ice."

Feb 16, 2019, 20:51

The following extract from a news 24 article says it all:-

"Dangerously few of their present top five, for instance, look bedded down in their particular positions, and the situation is aggravated by supposedly core, highly experienced customers like Hashim Amla and Dean Elgar skating on ever-thinning ice."

Feb 17, 2019, 05:46

The batting figures of the top 6 batsmen in the past test were as follows:-

*   Amla         =   19 runs        -    3.8%

*   Elgar          =   35 runs       -    7,1%

*   Matkram    =   39 runs       -    

*   Bavuma     =    51 runs

*   Du Plessis  =   126 runs3

*   De Kock    =    135 runs

The Proteas made 494 runs in total.   Of those Du Plessis and De Kock made 261 runs - ie    52,8%,    

Feb 17, 2019, 05:46

The batting figures of the top 6 batsmen in the past test were as follows:-

*   Amla         =   19 runs        -    3.8%

*   Elgar          =   35 runs       -    7,1%

*   Matkram    =   39 runs       -    7,9%

*   Bavuma     =    51 runs      -     10,3%

*   Du Plessis  =   126 runs     -     25.5%

*   De Kock    =    135 runs     -     27,3%

The Proteas made 494 runs in total.   Of those Du Plessis and De Kock made 261 runs - ie    52,8%,

The other 89 runs were made by the bowlers or were extras, 

Just not good enough I would say,     

Feb 18, 2019, 18:36

How on earth can you blame the batsmen when your #1 strike bowler only takes a single wicket!?

Feb 18, 2019, 19:04

Denny

I read about the bowling of the Proteass went belly-up in the second innings - part of the rpblem being that Philander did not bowl on day 4,

I read somewhere that both Steyn and Rabada was partly to blame for the fiasco - there attacking bowling was in the 2nd Sri Lanka innings way off target and the result was that both gave away way too many runs,   Lets look at the actual figures  of the three remaining fast bowlers:-

Steyn        -    2 wickets  - economy rate  3,94

Rabada     -     1 wicket  -  economy rate 4,31

Viljoen     -     2 wickets - economy rate  2,18

Fernando actually faced 27 balls making 5 runs - but neither Steyn nor Rabada attacked  his stumps in any meaningful way,   Another sign of poor bowling was the 200 balls bowled at Perera allowing him to score 153 runs at a strike rate of 76.50.

However, part of the balls-up was when Elgar stood gazing at a very catchable ball going through the slips.

Yes the bowlers were partly to blame - but the main blame remain with the batsmen who could not make runs on a flat wicket not assisting the bowlers at all..   .  

Feb 19, 2019, 01:33

Kak, their batsmen were at the mercy of the Protea attack. You know it, everyone knows it, the Proteas were heading towards the winning post.

Feb 19, 2019, 07:14

Denny

No the bowling attack was fine in the first innings of Sri Lanka - it went wrong in the second innings.    The only real threat in the second innings was posed by Viljoen if you look at the bowling figures of the bowlers.   Maharaj took 3 wickets in the second innings, but was also expensive.

You are arguing against yourself here in your last two postings - first you refer to Rabada -

"How on earth can you blame the batsmen when your #1 strike bowler only takes a single wicket!?"  

Then when I agree with you and actually confirm that the bowlers were at fault as well - you said "Kak".   What is going on?        

Feb 19, 2019, 10:37

forget it, I know when I'm wasting my time...

You need to Log in to reply.