You need to LOG IN to reply.

What did we learn from the 4th ODI against Sri lanka

Forum » Cricket » What did we learn from the 4th ODI against Sri lanka

Mar 13, 2019, 19:49

Batsman

Amla was not playing today - there is a member of his family with regrettably  a serious health problem - so he would not play in any ODI's again before the WC.  He is also not playing in the IPL either.

So lets look at the performances of potential opening batsmen to partner De Kock in the WC:-

Hendriks

Runs         Balls faced

ODI 1           =             1                  4

ODI 2           =           29                 41

ODI 3           =             4                 11

ODI 4           =             8                 15

Total             =           42                 71

Average        =        10,5

Strike Rate    =       59,15

Markram

ODI 4            =          29                 34

Strike Rate     =      85,29

Even though it as the first ODI Markram played in this year his batting was reasonable and his strike rate and fielding good,  He could have scored more runs - but it was a funny game with a low score to chase,  but it is clear that he did well enough to be ahead of Hendriks  and Amla in the opening batsmen position.

Mar 13, 2019, 20:22

Question...

Amla's strike rate touchers 90.

Why is Markrams strike rate of 85 acceptable?

Over the past year, Amla has also scored more ODI runs at a higher average than Markram.

Why is Markrams lower average acceptable?

Dont get me wrong, I am a Markram fan. But your attempted logical explanation isnt great Mikey.

Mar 13, 2019, 21:24

FD

Amla;s problem is irrespective of what his strike rate may because is rums are getting less and less and his match strike rate are going down too.

At the same time his eye-hand co-ordination is becoming more and more suspect.    One cannot excuse it if in the Pakistan ODI series the Proteas missed 8 catches,   Of which 4 was missed by Amla/   In batting he is mire often being clean-bowled.

The media is full of articles referring the indications that the problem is substantial enough to not select Amla for the WC squad.  

In all it is becoming clear that Amla's age has to do with the problem.     .       

Mar 13, 2019, 22:58

"In all it is becoming clear that Amla's age has to do with the problem."

There are also now questions regarding his eyesight based on his reaction time.

Plonking a wheelchair at first slip would be a novel idea.

Mar 14, 2019, 00:13

:D:D:D

Mar 14, 2019, 03:55

Why what were you thinking...a walking stick perhaps?

Nope, won't work, problem is it locks up one hand.

Mar 14, 2019, 09:02

Denny

What is going on here?  I was just repeating what is in the media here.   Fact is very few players maintain a high standard of performance at the age of 35 and I they do their performances start going downwards  in succeeding years,

What is clear is that at 35 - their performances are not what it used to be in the past.   Even you must admit that Amla is not the player he was at the age of 30 to 32 years of age. The problem is that even though I expressed reservations about his eye-hand co-ordination reflexes  earlier - the same opinion has been expressed in a number of recent newspaper reports.

The problem was that in the past two years Amla manntained a batting average in ODI's of circa  36  and if it was not for the one ODI  in which he scored 108 not out - it would have eben less than 30,   Even that ODI was lost largely because of instead of increasing hiss trike rate in the last 10 ovrs of the ODI it showed a decline,

Fact is I have always favour performance as a criterium for selection ahead of reputation and in that I differ from your friend Mozart/   Furthermore I thought in recent postings of yours  you also indicate that Amla may not be good enough for selection to the Proteas WC squad. or did I misread what you wrote?    

Mar 14, 2019, 10:50

No you haven't misread my post, my opinion on Amla remains the same and will only change if Amla by some miracle discovers his previous self. There is no joy in seeing what this most wonderful cricketer is going through, the mind is willing but the body says no. We can all do with a fit, quietly confident Amla, one that mersmerised us all with wristy cover drives and square cuts. 

Again I say, he wouldnt make my WC squad. Amla has always carried himself with lots of class and dignity and the dignified thing for him to do is to retire. He reminds me of a washed-up boxer hoping to discover past magic in one more last fight.

I've seen Greg Chappell go through exactly the same scenario and I've also remember Ponting trying to regain the magic that had deserted him. Both of them failed......and that's on home soil. Closer to home we all know what happened to the great Alan Donald at the WC in SA. Father Time does not take any prisoners.

You know what Mike.....I hope I'm wrong. I hope Amla comes out blazing away......I just don't see it.

Dinner you worry about what others think, each to his own call, I've made mine.

Mar 14, 2019, 14:59

Probably right on Amla ...Denny. Those slip misses were concerning. But his form slump from Pakistan to Sri Lanka was very quick and surprising. It suggests something else might also be involved.....perhaps the health of his father has distracted him.

Mar 14, 2019, 15:19

Mozart

The missed catches was not only in the slips - also in the open  field.   Sure eh could eb distracted by the health condition of his father - but the indications are his reaction times are slipping - both in batting and fielding.   

Nobody is rejoicing about a great player going down - but I believe once a  great players sees  what is going on - or even suspects that it may start to show - it is better to call it a day on  international level cricket like AB did.   Then they go out ion a blaze of glory.

Otherwise there is a problem - deteriorating performances like happened in the case of Graeme Smith - resulted in the player ruining his reputation and that he is told by the selectors that he will not be considered  for future selection.   Smith for instance after he was told .he will not be selected again to play ODI cricket - left the squad in a huff.   When in Cape Town  he saw the light and then called it a day on test cricket as well.

One would hate to see that happening to Amla so I would rather see him not going to the WC than see him going and be disgraced or destroying his image  as a result. 

Mar 14, 2019, 15:19

Mozart

The missed catches was not only in the slips - also in the open  field.   Sure eh could eb distracted by the health condition of his father - but the indications are his reaction times are slipping - both in batting and fielding.   

Nobody is rejoicing about a great player going down - but I believe once a  great players sees  what is going on - or even suspects that it may start to show - it is better to call it a day on  international level cricket like AB did.   Then they go out ion a blaze of glory.

Otherwise there is a problem - deteriorating performances like happened in the case of Graeme Smith - resulted in the player ruining his reputation and that he is told by the selectors that he will not be considered  for future selection.   Smith for instance after he was told .he will not be selected again to play ODI cricket - left the squad in a huff.   When in Cape Town  he saw the light and then called it a day on test cricket as well.

One would hate to see that happening to Amla so I would rather see him not going to the WC than see him going and be disgraced or destroying his image  as a result. 

You need to Log in to reply.