What is it with Markram

Forum » Cricket » What is it with Markram

Jan 05, 2021, 14:24

technically sound, fearless....or so it seems, has all the shots, does remarkably well at domestic level but fails to carry that form into the test arena. So is it a lack of concentration, nerves or is it poor shot selection? To me he looked the next best thing but I guess we're frustrated because he underperforms, clearly he feels the same going by the damage he did to his hand last year.

Jan 05, 2021, 15:16

Yeah he was on fire at test level when he started, picked up the injury and saw his arse against spinners in the sub continent.

Has found good domestic form and looked great in his first innings against SL, looked out of sorts in the second and looked good again today

We have had a few good looking bats that have failed to convert potential into performance at the highest level

Jacques Rudolph

Boeta Dippenaar

Neil McKenzie

Ashwell Prince

JP Duiminy

Bavuma

Let’s hope Markram does not join that list

Jan 05, 2021, 16:13

Ian Chapel said a few wonderful things about JP, thought the world of him,,,,,,,wonder what he thinks of him now.

Windies in their day also had one or two players who looked the business or who had the talent but never kicked on.

Jan 05, 2021, 16:32

JP was such a good looking bat - had all the shots but was a flop

Jan 05, 2021, 21:57

Markram has a slight technical flaw. He plays around his front pad... similar to how shane watson did.

ray jennings raved about his mental toughness... so hopefully he'll be able to correct the little flaw...

otherwise, he is superb. I think he'll come right.

Ashwell Prince had no issue concerting. He was superb. He just battled when he was forced to open the batting. He was never a text opener.

My 2 biggest disappointments over the past 20 years.... Rudolph and Vaughn van Jaarsveld.

van Jaarsveld broke so many schoolboy records... but his attitude wasn't great.

Jan 05, 2021, 22:46

McKenzie and Smith averaged 100 for a season or two as the opening pair.

Boeta and Rudolph were terrible. 

Ja, Duminy kept a few better players out of the side. His off-spin was very underrated though.

Jan 06, 2021, 00:10

Denny

Markram is very hard on himself and that could lead to problems on international level  and that could lead to rashness or in the alternative to be overly careful in what he is doing,     In the end both are negatives and I hope he can remedy that.

I can remember how good a player he was in the Under 19 WC on 2014 and on provincial level, so I hope he can just forget about the test environment and applies his natural talent and abilities on test level./  

Jan 06, 2021, 00:27

Rudolph was a good looking bat that never converted

JP was more talented than any of the bats he kept out of the side but he to never fulfilled his potential

Chip I don’t recall Prince doing much down the order either

Super gifted but was a test flop

Then you get the less gifted like Graeme Smith who do make it through sheer determination and playing to his strengths.

Gary Kirsten was another

Jan 06, 2021, 00:52

Mike

I can't put a finger on Markram's underperformances.....anyone who knows a thing about cricket knows it's not for a lack of talent. In that case it has to be mental......perhaps a lack of focus? a momentarily lack of concentration? That said both you and I know that he doesn't have the same problem at domestic level. So then is it BMT? 

Jan 06, 2021, 00:58

My standout player in regards to a lack of talent is Steve Waugh.......my standout player for mental toughness is Steve Waugh.....he point blank refused to give his wicket away. Tough as nails he was.....Tonka tough.

Jan 06, 2021, 15:06

denny

as per my post above, you'll note when watching markram hat he has a small tech flaw.

playing around the front pad has hampered  few world class players in the past.

The most notable aussies were mark taylor and shane watson.

taylor managed to come right.

markram is a solid bloke who will also hopefully rectify it.

i love watching him bat.

Jan 06, 2021, 15:23

Markram definitely has talent and certainly has BMT - he will come right

Has started well enough in the SL series

Two good innings’s and one shit one

You need to Log in to reply.