What's the problem with Nortje?

Forum » Cricket » What's the problem with Nortje?

Dec 28, 2019, 17:50

I don't hear too much about this guy. But he is technically sound as a bat and bowls effortlessly at 148 kph. His pace makes Archer and Rabada seem a bit pedestrian. Yes he lacks Archer's instinct to attack the head, but a bit more aggression and a bit more movement shouldn't be too hard to coach.

Dec 28, 2019, 19:19

‘His pace makes Archer and Rabada seem a bit pedestrian'

???

Oh come on.

Yes he may be 5 clicks faster, but that hardly makes them look pedestrian.

That being said, Rabada looks jaded. Something isn’t right with him at the moment.

I still believe we can win the first test. That would be a decent achievement.

We’re hustorically not the best starters to home test series.

Dec 28, 2019, 20:00

Rabada has faded in 2019 as even the commentators admitted.

Dec 28, 2019, 20:14

Ever since Steyn said that Nortje is the most promising fast bowler in SA people have taken note of him.   

Nortje decided to complete his University studies  before he  start playing professional cricket and did play some provincial cricket from time to time.   He showed enough to impress Steyn though,  

He was not available  for the CWC due to injury - he was one of the players who could have made a difference in the WC - but instead of calling him up to replace Steyn (he was fit by then) the duds at Cricket SA  went for Hendricks.  

A very good bowler who will develop further with more international cricket,

I do not know what is wrong with Rabada - maybe some sport psychology would help in getting him back to his best - at this stage even  Pretorius is a better option than he is.   I get the impression that he is going through the motions and  not really applying himself.   Smith and Boucher has a lot on their hands to get him back on track.                

Dec 28, 2019, 22:17

Nortje is ok has raw pace and is a fighter

Better than most of the pretenders we have seen of late

Does not have the skill of Rabada but up there with his pace

I like him

Dec 28, 2019, 23:57

"But he is technically sound as a bat...."

Batting and fielding averages

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Tests 2 4 2 12 5* 6.00 99 12.12 0 0 1 0 0 0
ODIs 4 1 0 8 8 8.00 18 44.44 0 0 0 0 2 0
T20Is 1 - - - - - - - - - - - 0 0
First-class 49 63 17 705 79* 15.32 1453 48.52 0 4 80 12 9 0
List A 37 16 3 104 17 8.00 182 57.14 0 0 8 0 10 0
T20s 20 3 1 5 4 2.50 10 50.00 0 0 1 0 5 0

Sure you got the right bloke?

Dec 29, 2019, 00:08

He is a useless bat but did a great job today

Dec 29, 2019, 00:28

And I agree with that, a plucky, gritty innings which serves as a fine example of what can be achieved if a commitment is made.Just goes to show what's needed is some vasbyt spirit.He copped a barrage of the short stuff, landed on his face a few times trying to avoid them and copped a few medals all over his body but hey, hats off to the lad, he should be so proud of himself and so also every protea supporter.

Dec 29, 2019, 00:35

"I still believe we can win the first test."

I sincerely hope you are right as I have my doubts.

Are Root and Butler well enough to bat? Geez you certainly can't enjoy a win if they're just out there to make up the numbers.

Dec 29, 2019, 00:45

Well Denny he looked better than those averages in this innings. His opening 4  showed nice touch. I'm not saying he is the complete package but he has good potential.

This is for you Chipp-ou:

Archer......138ks.....a bit pedestrian.

Rabada.....140 ks....a bit pedestrian.

Nortje ...146 ks....not pedestrian.

Comprende?

Dec 29, 2019, 01:05

Moz, he is a #11,  a tailender, who came in as the nightwatchman, showed guts, copped a barrage but through it all hung in there....he is not a "technically sound bat." Technically sound batsmen do not bunny jump at the crease and land flat-faced on the wicket. 

Dec 29, 2019, 01:05

Those were their average speeds

All of them clocked 150kph as their fastest balls

Dec 29, 2019, 01:44

Rabada is missing a mean streak. 

I said it two years ago and it I'm still saying it. 

Not only does he say nothing to the bat, he doesn't even deliver an agro glare after a good ball.

He seems to be too in his own head and not able to get out of it long enough to drop a few unsavoury remarks.

Someone needs to tell him to pretend to lose the plot, swear a bit and perhaps have a sledge or two.

Him and Nortje could make a good hunting duo. Problem is, neither swings it much and their accuracy isn't of Steyn's quality. When it works it'll work well but when it doesnt, they'll need a first change with a cool head. 

It's a pity Andile isn't a bit better with the ball. More of a golden arm than consistent pressure when he bowls.

We'll never replace Kallis. 

Dec 29, 2019, 01:47

Geez Denny....Morkel is my idea of a number11. And there is no way Morkel would have stayed almost a full session and scored nearly 50. But I take your point that this innings is not the norm.

As for bowling speeds....an average of 146 with a good line is impressive. I'm not saying Rabada and Archer can't bowl faster than they did today, but the step up to 146 is significant.

Dec 29, 2019, 03:10

Plum Rabada was very mean when he first started so much so he got into trouble a few times

It’s seems he might have been told to reign it in for he has lost that mean streak since then which is a huge pity

Moz what was impressive about Nortje on day 2 was that he actually started to get some late swing which made him a real handful.

Apparently it’s not something he has been able to do in the past so good to see he has found the art

Dec 29, 2019, 07:20

I don't see it that way, it seems like he's still bowling the same as ever, everyone's studied him and is used to him....there's nothing new or more in his weaponry.

Dec 29, 2019, 07:22

"We'll never replace Kallis."

The Windies haven't replaced Sobers.

Dec 30, 2019, 02:54

Denny

There isn't a great deal to Rabada. (I have a feeling he's going to get faster by around 5 clicks)

He does what he does effortlessly and it works.

This is why I rate he needs to add some overt mind games to arsenal. Perhaps some smart person told him to get a bit older and wiser before he stares people down.

Steyn, McGrath and so many others all fed off the energy of the crowd, the moment, fear, etc. 

Can you think of a great that just went about his business and without ruffling any feathers?

Maybe there were a few but I forgot their names ;)

Dec 30, 2019, 04:07

Michael Holding

Dec 30, 2019, 08:49

Amazing - any player (irrespective of whether he plays rugby or cricket) mentioned by me or Dave on site has been condemned for life by Mozart.   Why does Nortje fall outside of that category?   I suggested before the CWC that Nortje is a must for that tournament  and he was not selected as he was initially injured.   

When Steyn could not play in the CWC I condemned CSA for selecting Hendricks to replace him and not Nortje,   Mozart must have missed out on those comments - otherwise he would have Nortje in the condemned to life category as well.              

Dec 30, 2019, 10:26

Boohoo, Mike. 

Boohoo.

Dec 30, 2019, 13:03

LMAO - but unfortunately what I wrote is true,   

Dec 30, 2019, 17:56

Blimey Mike, did you finally get one right. Have another doppie!

Dec 30, 2019, 21:11

Hahahahaha!!! LMAO...really!!! Good humor Moz!

You need to Log in to reply.