Ralph Hasenhuttl has fended off talk of Chelsea being interested in Kyle Walker-Peters and refused to comment on the possibility of Southampton signing Timo Werner.
Blues head coach Thomas Tuchel is reported to have earmarked Walker-Peters as another wing-back option.
Hasenhuttl had no interest in engaging in transfer talk ahead of Saints’ first game of the Premier League at Tottenham on Saturday, with the window open for another four weeks.
The Southampton manager said when asked about Walker-Peters being a Chelsea target: “Before we go now through every player who maybe has interest from someone else, we should maybe concentrate on the games ahead
“The transfer window is now open still for a long time, and this is something that will definitely affect your questions in the future.
“But for me, it’s more important to bring the players into the shape to compete in the Premier League, and this is the focus I have.”
High spirits at Staplewood pic.twitter.com/s60Ac3YPzk
— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) August 4, 2022
Quizzed over whether Saints could land Werner on loan from Chelsea, the Austrian replied: “Nice try! But as I said before, I’m not here today to speak about other players.
“We know there are some good players out there. We have our eyes open, the transfer market is open for another 30 days or something.
“That’s too long definitely; we have done well so far, but it doesn’t mean we don’t want to do well again in other positions, too. But it’s now a moment to concentrate on the games and this for me is more important.
“But for now we are excited to start the Premier League season. It will be a very tough game at Tottenham, but we are very excited.
“The kind of players we have signed, we have seen in the past it can take some players some time to adapt to the Premier League. Some will need longer, but we also know some will be able to make an impact straight away.”
I found this article here...