You need to LOG IN to reply.

2019 US Masters . . .

Forum » Other Sports » 2019 US Masters . . .

Apr 13, 2019, 22:53

I'm a golf fan to the same extent as I'm a cycling fan.

I don't cycle much and I don't play nearly as much golf as I used to and I don't generally follow either sport much during the year, but when the golf majors and the cycling grand tours start, I become the biggest fan of both of those sports. The Ryder Cup is another great golf event that I never miss.

I reckon I've watched every golf major since the late 1970s . . . and when I say every one, I mean every one. The closest I came to missing one was in 2012 when I was in France in July that year following the Tour de France (ironically also the year that I  missed a few stages of the Tour de France for the one and only time I can remember when I was actually in the country watching the Tour live) when Ernie Els won his second British Open, but I did manage to find a little pub in Paris that showed the final round so when I say every golf major, I really do mean every one . . . at least since 1978 and few before then.

But something has changed for me when it comes to golf.

In all those years of watching golf majors, I've supported the South Africans and if there weren't any South Africans in contention then I've supported the European Ryder Cup players like Seve Ballesteros, Nick Faldo, Jose Maria Olazabal, Sergio Garcia (for some reason I've always had a soft spot for the Spaniards in golf just as I've supported Germans in Formula 1) and more recently Rory McIlroy and Francesco Molinari.

When Tiger Woods came along, I was - like everyone else who follows golf - in awe of his abilty and his iron will to win but I still used to support Ernie and the Europeans and I'd hope they would beat Tiger.

That's what's changed.

Since Tiger's fall from grace and his many injuries, I have been willing him to get back to his best and start winning majors again and now that the "old" Tiger is back (older in years as well as the old will to win admittedly) when I watch majors I am supporting Tiger to the exclusion of everyone else.

Normally I'd watch a major hoping for the Yanks to screw up, find the bunkers and miss putts (Jordan Spieth being a notable exception) while pulling for the South Africans and European Ryder Cup players. Now I'm watching the US Masters 3rd round and when anyone other than Tiger is on view I'm hoping they hook it out of bounds, duff the chip or leave the putt short . . . and when Tiger's on screen I'm on my knees hoping he hits it straight or nails the putt.

Things have changed for me and I am williing Tiger to win another major more passionately then I ever used to will Ernie or anyone else to win.

I can't explain it but I feel it.

Come on Tiger!!!

2 behind Finau as I type this, hitting it straight and nailing the big putts.

I can't begin to tell you how much I want Tiger to win . . . and if he doesn't, I will be supporting him with equal passion and hope in the British Open, the US Open and the PGA.

Come on Tiger!!!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:05

Yessss!

Incredible birdie by Tiger at the 13th.

Apr 13, 2019, 23:13

But he hates his approach to the 14th and he'll do well to save par . . . come on Tiger!!!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:16

Must also give a shout out to Supersport. Our coverage is world class. We get the primary feed showing all the leaders and big incidents and we also get a secondary feed of selected two-balls (Tiger being one of them) so even when they switch to ads we can flick and carry on watching this great event.

Apr 13, 2019, 23:19

Amazing shor by Francesco Molinari at the 12th.

If Tiger doesn't win (god forbid) I hope it's Molinari . . . but GO TIGER!!!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:28

Tiger a bit long at 15 but up and down for birdie is still possible.

Apr 13, 2019, 23:35

Great chip Tiger!

Waiting for the birdie putt . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . yesssssssss!

One off the lead!

Go Tiger!!!

I supect I'm going to be shattered at work on Monday morning!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:40

Tiger's shot at the par 3 16th . . . all the commentators can say is "well, well, well . . ."

Come on Tiger!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:44

Brooks Koepka looks like a real doos . . . almost in the Matt Kuchar/Phil Mickleson league . . . keep hitting the trees boys!

Tiger nails the 7 foot putt on 16 to tie for the lead!!!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:47

Great drive on 17 Tiger.

I realise I'm sounding a bit like Baboon-ou talking about Bozo Trump . . . but go Tiger!!!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:50

Normally I'd be broken seeing a genuinely good guy like Adam Scott miss that easy birdie putt but it's one less threat to Tiger.

Francesco Molinari is the danger!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:50

Ian Poulter is another Ryder Cup stalwart I'd be supporting in the absence of Tiger but I find myself hoping he sticks it into the trees!

Apr 13, 2019, 23:56

Molinari moves to -12 and he is the big threat to Tiger.

Apr 14, 2019, 00:01

Tiger pars 17 to remain at -11.

Don't know when last I saw such a great leaderboard for any major late on Day 3.

Molinari, Koepka, Webb Simpson, Xander Schauffele, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Tony Finau, Adam Scott. . . even Ricky Fowler and Ian Poulter still in it.  

Apr 14, 2019, 00:13

Tiger finishes with par on 18. One off the lead unless Koepka or someone else burns up the last few holes but I'm going to bed.

More tomorrow.

Go Tiger!!!

Apr 14, 2019, 09:38

The ovation he received on the 18th says it all....brought a tear to mine eye. Nothing more needs to be said about Tiger. 

Apr 14, 2019, 19:45

Come on Tiger. Seal the deal!

Apr 14, 2019, 20:44

Is that the greatest comeback in sports history?

Well done Tiger!

Apr 14, 2019, 21:16

The greatest Masters was also the one with the friendliest finishing time for SA viewers.

What happened at the 12th hole today was nothing short of incredible. 4 out of the 6 players in the last two groups double bogied. It was a cavalry charge up to the that point but Tiger kept his cool and from that moment on there was only going to be one result.

Tiger's tee shot at the par 3 16th was pretty much exactly what I hoped for and imagined just before he hit it. When his ball caught the downslope and started to roll towards the hole, Tiger knew he'd achieved what so many said could never happen again.

Unbelievable sports weekend . . . except for the Sharks. Not the most exciting Grand Prix in China but there was one significant moment in that race . . . for me anyway. For the last two decades I've supported German drivers in Italian cars but today, about a quarter of the way through the race, Max Verstappen moved up alongside Vettel on the straight and got an inside line, but he overbraked slightly and lost a fraction of  momentum and Vettel got onto the power sooner. At that moment I found myself willing Verstappen to overtake my long time idol so it looks like I have a new favourite driver in F1.

Wish he had Mercedes.

You need to Log in to reply.