AB de Villiers back

Forum » Cricket » AB de Villiers back

Oct 15, 2017, 23:45

I see AB has announced that he is again available for the Proteas, but is not interested in being the captain again.

Wonderful news but I just wonder how much the sacking of Haroon Lorgat has to do with AB's decision?

Oct 16, 2017, 08:14

Nothing really..

Oct 16, 2017, 08:17

AB de Villiers should just shove off. I'm sick of this whiny little prima donna picking and choosing which games he plays in. Let him go play IPL or sing his laughably embarrassing little gospel songs . . . I'm over him.

Pity because he is/was a truly great batsman.

Oct 18, 2017, 09:22

"Pity because he is/was a truly great batsman." I'm 100% with you on this one, Rooi. He had everything going for him but he was not mentally strong enough to deal with a poor coach like Domingo. Not even the Abbot/Philander fiasco in the CWC should have been too much for him to handle. He should never have accepted the captaincy. He is not the best captain around and he knows it, I'm sure.

If you go back into underage cricket, you'll see who the captain always was. Remember that AB, Faf and Duminy came through the SA underage ranks together and AB and Faf, even from school days and in those years Faf was always the captain. In senior cricket it took Faf longer to get into the regular squad through no fault of his own. He just happened to be playing at a time when there were too many great players who were the incumbents. That is what put AB in the inside lane for the captaincy. His seniority in the side. AB should never have been burdened with the captaincy. That is what, IMO, led to him becoming the prima donna he became. He had everything that was needed not to become a prima donna. Everybody knew that he was good but he was not an immediate sensation like some others. He started off as an opener and he was OK. Not brilliantly great but good nonetheless. Then he was dropped down the batting order and then he became brilliant. By all accounts nothing should have gone to his head but that, unfortunately went to pot when the team was suddenly stripped of a core of leadership with the departure of guys like GS, JHK, Bouch and even Johan Botha, etc, and he was forced to the front as a senior player. That's the way I see it in any case.

Oct 19, 2017, 02:27

I don't believe what's being said here is entirely true having read a comment wherein AB supported Domingo. Also don't believe he was a poor captain, Faf is probably a better captain but to suggest AB was a poor captain is just not true. I'm not buying the line that he's a prima donna either.

Oct 19, 2017, 09:31

Well, IMO, ani player who cherry picks which series he plays in and which he doesn’t play in is acting like a prima donna.

Look, as I have said, I have always been a massive fan of AB as a cricket player and if you read what I have said carefully you will notice that I do not lay all of the blame at his feet. I have said that part of the problem was that he almost became captain by default, which is never the ideal. The same thing happened with Polly. Becoming the captain should ideally always be as part of good succession planning. Part of being a good captain in most sports relies heavily and how good the entire leadership structure in the team is. Each and every new captain’s very first priority is always to establish a good rapport with the senior players in the team. That was why GS faced such a massive challenge when he became captain. If the senior players like JHK, Bouch, etc did not back and support him, he would not have made it past the first season. AB, on the other hand, did not have that problem. He was one of the seniors, finish and klaar.

As for being a good captain.... yeah he was probably not a bad captain but an outstanding one.....? I doubt that. He will always be remembered for his brilliance with the bat first and his brilliance in the field secondly. He will not be remembered for either his wicket keeping or his captaincy. And the way in which he eventually decided when and where he was going to play might even get a mention before his wicket keeping it captaincy does.

Oct 19, 2017, 10:44

Each to his own.

You need to Log in to reply.