Amazing fresh water surfing in Great Lakes...wow

Forum » Other Sports » Amazing fresh water surfing in Great Lakes...wow

Feb 03, 2020, 22:39

Really good stuff...difficult shore-breaks to get out with fresh water being less boyant than salt...but no sharks only damn cold even with suits...much colder than the Atlantic.

But really good waves and plenty of them. Lovely stuff, what a challenge.

https://youtu.be/8DmoQ-ziT38

Feb 04, 2020, 22:16

We had a massive storm 3 weeks ago....12 foot waves....the road to our beach was closed. Very surfable, but the ice floes could have been pesky!

Feb 06, 2020, 10:31

Have you ever surfed there Moz when you were much younger, sjoe I don't think I could have...too intimidating unless you have superb control, one major wipe into those rocks and you are history...I know what shore breaks with 6-10 footers can do...it once happened to me and it looked like a leopard had mauled me...my wet suit was beyond repair...those barnacled rocks in the Cape are as sharp as razors but the impact is colossal.

Must say the Great Lakes must be only second to Hawaii and with so much variation.

The one thing you learn about the power of water when you are either a surfer or a diver and a sea-faring man, even a fisherman is the immensity of that power and you really respect it...you never beat it and have to obey it's rules. It's a beautiful dangerous beast.

"I'm haunted by waters" in all forms.

It does something to those who love it that's difficult to put into words.

Feb 11, 2020, 07:01

I have body surfed Lake Michigan, but the wave is really more of a beach break....no shape to it. Hardly Jeffries Bay.

You need to Log in to reply.