Free Solo

Forum » Rugby » Free Solo

Mar 09, 2019, 22:31

I have watched many great sporting performances over the years.....Klammer's down hill gold medal, Federer's various triumphs......Bolt setting unimaginable standards in the sprints. Even disgraced Bladerunner Pistorius in full stride at the London Olympics.

But nothing I have seen comes close to Alex Honnald free climbing El Capitan's 3000 vertical feet, captured in the documentary Free Solo. To me it's the supreme physical accomplishment in our sporting history.

If you have missed it...make the effort. It was nerve wracking watching it in the movie.....impossible to watch live for several of the camera men.

Mar 10, 2019, 02:50

El Capitan located in Yosetime national park brings back special memories having visited the park a couple of years ago and stood not too far away admiring the enormous granite boulder which it is. I can't imagine anyone being nuts enough to face climb smooth grantite El Capitan.....there is nothing to hold onto.

The park also has a dark side with a quite a few people experiencing fatal accidents. I'll most defnitely hold onto my seat watching the movie.

Mar 10, 2019, 03:54

It's a beautiful place, I have only visited once but it stays with you. It's inconceivable to climb that cliff with ropes, let alone doing it by yourself with no ropes.

Mar 10, 2019, 04:20

I think there's a lot more to the park than what we saw and experienced, our tour included an overnight stay in one of the lodges but we did some exploring and found an Indian village and a lovely swimming pool tucked away out of sight which we enjoyed. We wanted to mountain bike ride but unfortunately there was no time. Apparently there are about 300 brown bears in the park besides other wild life, we were lucky enough to bump into a wood pecker.

But that rock man.....it is something else. It just stabs out, confronting and memorable.

Mar 10, 2019, 10:57

Moz

You seen those nutjobs camping on their ropes?

Here's one...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/8541224/Extreme-camping-and-rock-climbing-photographs-by-Gordon-Wiltsie.html

Why on earth!!!???

Mar 10, 2019, 11:12

I've heard of that before, never saw an image though. Thrill junkies are amusing. :D

Mar 10, 2019, 11:37

Simply incredible.

Mar 10, 2019, 13:25

WTF is this doing in the rugby section ... ???

Hey, Faggot ... ??

Mar 10, 2019, 15:22

Lickspittle thanks for your concerns, we will be back to you when we have had a chance to evaluate your complaint.

Mar 10, 2019, 15:32

Crazy to rely on those little pitons tapped into a rock!

Mar 10, 2019, 15:49

I was going to ask the same thing about you 2CC... WTF are you doing in the rugby section? You are clearly lost. Here, allow me to assist you. 

http://www.talkshit.com/

Mar 10, 2019, 20:04

Watched that about a week ago - amazing - have to admire those guys - what balls they have to live life literally on the edge. But equally one has to say what fools for doing it - why invite death upon oneself?

But everyone is different I suppose. He finds no stimulation in ordinary things - his brain is wired differently. Pretty awkward guy as well, I felt for his girlfriend.

But what viewing in the end, that footage of the climb and that cameraman looking away was breathtaking

Mar 10, 2019, 20:15

Yes Dave, I found myself pulling for the kid. Another case of a father destroying his son....and that bit where they did the MRI and the fear centres of his brain never lit up.....strange!

Unfortunately it's hard to see any positive end to this story.

Mar 10, 2019, 20:35

That’s the underlying tone, the inevitable - the story won’t end well, but I guess he is reconciled to that fact. He’ll die climbing but would be dead without it

Mar 15, 2019, 22:04

https://oladblock.services/f/w4v-COg1fhA/Free.Solo.2018.LiMiTED.BDRip.x264-CADAVER.mp4

You need to Log in to reply.