Improving Imp

Forum » Other Sports » Improving Imp

Jul 17, 2019, 18:28

A massive improvement by the Imp. After his win when the Peloton miscalculated, the Imp had plunged to 126....today he managed 52nd among the sprinters. No doubt a good reason for another Peeper Carboardeaux!

Wehe!

But the mountains loom.

Jul 17, 2019, 18:29

:D

Jul 17, 2019, 18:30

:P

Jul 17, 2019, 20:25

LMAO!

Unbelievable levels of ignorance.

Moffie, you and your sniggering little cheerleaders are too stupid to know just how ignorant you sound.

As I said before, ignorance is not having the first clue how the different jerseys work or how much store the majority of the riders set by their finishing positions each day.

Stupidity is not knowing any of that stuff but still opining about a sport you clearly know nothing about.

Oh and by the way, I didn't tip Darryl Impey for anything and he's not a rider I particularly pull for, it was just a nice surprise to see a South African win a stage . . . well, for some of us anyway.

Whatever else, nice to see I've got you interested in the Tour and following the results so closely . . . even if you don't realise what a fool you sound like with your laughably stupid and naive conclusions. 

Still waiting for your scenario on how the peloton could "miscalculate" by 16 minutes . . . but I understand if you're too gutless to respond.

Waaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!

Jul 17, 2019, 23:59

The 'peleton'(sic)? Waaaaaaahahaha.....how can I explain what's going on to a moron who can't even spell the word.

Jul 18, 2019, 05:50

The 'peleton'(sic)? Waaaaaaahahaha.....how can I explain what's going on to a moron who can't even spell the word.

Don't expect the board Spellcheck Queen to reply with "noted and corrected"...watchout for the deep dive

Jul 18, 2019, 07:22

Noted and corrected, still waiting for this scenario.

Jul 18, 2019, 15:14

Perhaps the pigeon peloton phenomenon might help you grasp the concept. Mostly the winner comes out of a large group of birds, that gather together to form the peloton. Statistically verified by the small standard deviation among the top times.

Rarely a small break away is potent enough to establish a complete separation from the pigeon peloton (alliterates nicely). At that point you effectively have 2 races.

When it happens it's always a mistake, a failure of instinct by the better birds.....a miscalculation if you will, if only they could calculate. But sadly I have never met a pigeon that can integrate x squared.

Still the principle is crystal clear......a poorly monitored breakaway sometimes, rarely, leads to the wrong bird winning. Such is the case with the Imp.

Jul 18, 2019, 15:20

I see, so you still maintain that the peloton could conceivably give up a 16 minute deficit to the breakaway by mistake or because of a "miscalculation".

LMAO!

Noob!

Jul 18, 2019, 15:23

Disclaimer....the fact that pigeon races follow exactly the same tendencies as cycling races is not intended to infer anything about the thought processes of cyclists or birds.

The term 'bird brain' is regarded as hate speech by those who admire these fine avian athletes (alliterates nicely).

Jul 18, 2019, 15:28

Boob!

Jul 18, 2019, 15:36

". . . these fine avian athletes (alliterates nicely)."

Alliteration is the repetition of the same consonant, not vowel. The word you're looking for is "assonance".

Examples: Grampa Gropey is alliteration; Illiterate Imbecile is assonance.

Jul 18, 2019, 18:28

Yes I'm very good at assonance and alliteration. But no doubt you mean illiterate idiots who don't know how to spell 'peloton'?

Jul 18, 2019, 19:23

"Yes I'm very good at assonance and alliteration."

Well, other than the fact that you don't know which is which . . .

Jul 18, 2019, 23:50

Actually there are different views....like

'There are many different ways someone can use the repetition of sound within a word or sentence to add flow, rhythm, rhyme, and even a bit of musicality to their language. It's this musicality of language that is what distinguishes poetry from prose. One way someone can do this is to put the same sound at the beginning of some, or even all, words within a sentence. Such as: "Amy's apples are awful." "Gerry's grapes are great!" These are examples of alliteration.'

.....so this author believes "Amy's apples"is alliteration. As usual your narrow view is contradicted. Here's another view:

'Consonance and assonance are closely related to alliteration (and could even be called subsets of alliteration), though the repeated sounds no longer must be at the beginning of the words. Consonance is a repetition of consonant sounds, while assonance is a repetition of vowel sounds.Apr 17, 2018'

Jul 19, 2019, 00:17

Then there is this view:

'Alliteration in Brand Names.

Companies use the alliterative effect all the time. The major reason companies use it is to ensure their brand name is memorable. Think, for example, of all of the famous and well-known brands and companies that have used alliteration in their names:

American Airlines.

American Apparel.

Bed Bath & Beyond.'

Etc.

Jul 19, 2019, 00:20

And this scholarly piece explains it all:

"Alliteration refers to the repeated initial sounds of a series of words. It is a rhetorical device that has a variety of functions in literature, such as expressing repetition of thought, achieving rhythm or elevating language for the listener or reader. Some literature experts claim that consonance and assonance are certain types of alliteration, whereas others may define these as separate terms.

General Alliteration In general, alliteration refers to the repetition of the initial sounds of a series of words. For example, take the sentence: "Sally saw seventeen savages." This sentence repeats the "s" sound four times, resulting in alliteration. Alliteration can also refer to the repetition of the first syllable of a series of words, such as the phrase "he heeded hearing his healer." In this case, the "he" syllable is repeated. An occasional break in the chain of repeated sounds can still be considered a loose alliteration, as is the case with "his."

Consonance Consonance refers to the repeated consonant sounds at the beginning, middle or end of a word. Although some claim consonance is not alliteration, many argue that consonance overlaps with alliteration only when the repeated consonant sounds occur at the beginning of the world. An example of consonance can be found in this sentence: "Nimbly, he named the numbers." The repeated "n" and "m" sounds cause both consonance and alliteration.

Assonance Assonance refers to the repetition of vowel sounds somewhere within a word. Similarly to consonance, scholars debate whether or not assonance is alliteration. However, it is generally accepted that repetitions of vowel sounds at the beginning of words is both assonance and alliteration. Here's an example of assonance: "All alterations always alter my clothes awfully." The repetition of the soft "a" sound causes alliteration and assonance."

Pay particular attention to the description of assonance.....or perhaps we should call this another defeat for arseonance. Is that assonance or consonance? Or perhaps, game, set and match.

Jul 19, 2019, 07:29

Moffie, wouldn't it make your life a lot easier if you could just admit once in a while that you got egg all over your stupid fat face and simply move on?

All this time and effort you put in to proving what an ignorant dolt you are when it comes to alliteration and assonance and yet still no attempt to explain how the peloton could conceivably miscalculate by . . . wehe . . . 16 minutes! 

If you put in the same effort (and if you were less of a snivelling coward) you could have answered my question 3 times over.

LMAO!

Jul 19, 2019, 14:10

''The repetition of soft 'a' sounds causes alliteration and assonance".....exactly the same as.....'avian athletes'.

No more need be said. I hope you will find this useful.

Jul 19, 2019, 14:38

"No more need be said . . ."

Well, other than an answer to the question I've asked you about 4 times now that you've found new ways to duck, dodge and dive.

Jul 19, 2019, 14:50

Off to golf....read the pigeon fable, it explains all.

You need to Log in to reply.