It’s lovely being back on track, says Wayde

Forum » Other Sports » It’s lovely being back on track, says Wayde

Sep 17, 2020, 12:58

CAPE TOWN - Wayde van Niekerk admits that he took his time to get going, but added that it was “lovely being back on track” after winning his comeback race in Switzerland on Tuesday.

The Olympic champion returned to action in his favourite 400m at the Gala dei Castelli meeting in Bellinzona, and didn’t have things going his way from the start.

Van Niekerk appeared to be short of a gallop in the opening 200 metres – following a ‘false positive’ coronavirus test in Italy that forced him into isolation for 25 days – and he was in fifth position coming into the home straight.

But the 28-year-old picked up the pace dramatically, and powered home to victory in the final 50 metres in a time of 45.58 – a season’s best.

He will now return to South Africa to continue his training ahead of the local summer season ahead of next year’s Tokyo Olympics.

“Back at it! Forgot how to race for a moment, but it’s lovely being back on track. Appreciate all the love #quietstorm Now we keep moving forward,” Van Niekerk posted on social media.

“The race was challenging,” he told the World Athletics website. “The guys went out from the beginning and I had to stick with them. The 400m is where I belong, and I showed that I am still around.”

Another star sprinter, Akani Simbine, was also triumphant in Bellizona, winning his 100m event by stopping the clock in 10.02 for his third consecutive victory in Europe.

He will make his final appearance on his current trip at the Diamond League meeting in Rome on Thursday, where he will be joined by fellow South Africans Antonio Alkana (110m hurdles) and Zane Weir (shot put).

Commonwealth Games champion Simbine was made to work hard for his win in Switzerland by Italian Filippo Tortu (10.07), and will have his work cut out in Rome, where his main challenger will be American Michael Rodgers, who has better personal best of 9.85 – compared to Simbine’s 9.89.

But the South African has a 2020 best of 9.91, and will be hoping for another sub-10-second time in Rome.

Welcome back Wayde....u good thing!:D:D

Sep 20, 2020, 22:23

At last some great news about Wayde at the meeting in Switzerland.

Not a record time but a start at getting back into the form and determination that this young man has shown a few seasons back.

Unfortunate injuries playing rugby but hopefully, he has recovered completely and will be able to double up on his 400 Gold Medal at the 2021 Olympics.

Wayde you have our undying support and prayers guy.

You need to Log in to reply.