Pigeon sells for R29 million (GBP 1,400,000)

Forum » Other Sports » Pigeon sells for R29 million (GBP 1,400,000)

Nov 18, 2020, 06:31

Pigeon fanciers can pay a lot for these birds but how do you insure a bird that a hawk or falcon can quickly despatch.

This bird was bought by a Chinese fancier. Maybe Moz (or Denny) can comment...what insurance premium would you pay on a bird like this, costing more than some classy racing broodmares.

I've watched Sparrow Hawks snatch pigeons out of the sky on several occasions.

WATCH: Pigeon sells for record R29m to Chinese fancier – The Citizen 

Nov 18, 2020, 06:46

I read the article.....the price is amazing. 

Seb those two birds will never be allowed out of the loft, they'll be doing stud duties for the rest of their existence. They can be "broken in" as the speak goes which means they'll be allowed out to exercise but with a price like that it's too risky. 

It will be interesting to see whether their offspring are successful, if so then the buyer could potentially hit the jackpot......interesting days ahead for pigeon fanciers.

Nov 18, 2020, 22:33

Good eye on that bird....Denny is  right, the bird will be loft bound. Even a short race is too risky.....hawks and farmer’s with guns. 

Nov 18, 2020, 23:32

Seb revokes memories of the pigeon blog from yesteryear....gosh......it's unbelievable the mischief we get up to at times:D

With stories like this I miss those days Moz......there's nothing like simple pleasures:(

Nov 20, 2020, 02:22

Den it all comes down to the Gladiator’s question.....’are you entertained?’

You need to Log in to reply.