The best sport radio commentators...can some of you older chaps remember

Forum » Other Sports » The best sport radio commentators...can some of you older chaps remember

Feb 01, 2020, 10:22

Cricket; Charles Fortune (he was a master of this art...he could capture the game and it's atmosphere and finer details even better than a picture.

Golf : Hutchie (Dennis Hutchinson) Always enjoyed listening to him...also a master.

Horse Racing : Ernie Duffield.

Then commentator Ernie Duffield's voice got shrill: "And here comes Sea Cottage!" I'll never forget the next few strides of that horse. Everything stood still, apart from the bay and the gold-and-silver silks; the great one got low to the turf and snared the piece before anyone drew breath.

Rugby : Cannot really think of any that was really good , except the Afrikaans commentator and his name slips my memory. Maybe Mike or Mozart can tell us.

Feb 03, 2020, 18:36

Gerhard Viviers....he did boxing too.

Feb 04, 2020, 02:16

I liked Richie Benaud, and  John McEnroe, Nick Faldo and host of others. But Charles Fortune and Gerard Viviers were great. I have a record of the Betoger tour where Gerhard reached his zenith.

Worst is Stransky.

Feb 05, 2020, 09:47

Oom "Spiekeries"

Feb 05, 2020, 10:38

That's him...he was good and even though my Afrikaans is mediocre I still preferred to the other English commentators. You got accurate feedback of the game and knew the game well and hardly any mistakes.

and yes Joel although one of the greats in rugby and an old boy of the same school can be irritating...talking and playing the game are two different skills and he is not gifted in this. Joel actually is a very likeable person by the way but I suppose being Jewish they have a different way with speech.

Feb 05, 2020, 17:01

Two others that come to mind are:

Neil Adcock and C. Henderson.

Always listened to the Afrikaans rugby commentary by Gerhard Viviers even though he was a Northern Transvaal supporter.

He was truly one of the greats.

Richie Benaud was a knowledgable and unbiased commentator as well as one of the best spin bowlers to ever represent Australia.

You need to Log in to reply.