The future of tennis postponed

Forum » Other Sports » The future of tennis postponed

Jun 07, 2021, 18:03

The Old Tart must have been drowning in glee when young Musetti, described by some as the future of tennis, took a 2 sets to love on the Joker. Unfortunately he was spent emotionally after the second set tie breaker, and the Joker ate him up in the last three sets.

It brings to mind again just how great the achievements of the big three have been over the years, how hard it is to win just one of these Grand Slams. We should be celebrating their longevity, not wishing for their demise.

No doubt they are more fragile than in days past. Hell it’s a miracle Fed got through to the Fourth Round on his reconstructed knee, before having to withdraw. But they are still gladiators. To quote Tennyson

Though much is taken much abides

And though we are  not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven

That which we are, we are

One equal temper of heroic hearts

Made weak by time and fate

But strong in will, to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Jun 07, 2021, 20:09

I remember the 2014 showdown between Brady and Peyton, and I had a sense that this could be the end of the road for this matchup. There would be one more clash between the two when the Pats went to Denver in January 2016, but Peyton was a barely a shadow of himself. Sometimes you get to witness something special, something that occurs once in a generation, sometimes once ever. I'm glad I cherished those games. My interest in tennis has waned over the past six years, but I do remember the greatness of Federer and Nadal well. It really is something amazing. To see them soldier on, you have to respect that. To see 44 year old Brady end the legacy of 25 year old Mahomes before it began, that's also amazing. 

You need to Log in to reply.