Van Rooyen our latest choker…

Forum » Other Sports » Van Rooyen our latest choker…

Apr 18, 2022, 02:40

Where have our competitors gone? There was a nice CBS special on Jack and Gary before the Masters, Jack making the point that Gary was the toughest competitor. I always felt if Ernie had Gary’s brain or Gary had Ernie’s swing….either way you had a winner.

But Ernie and Retief while under performing their potential were still multiple Major winners. Same was true of Nick Price who was if anything too competitive and the tension finally got to him.

After that though we have produced a string of chokers. Louis and Charl both won majors early in their careers. But as the expectations rose they swooned, producing poor Sunday after poor Sunday. The same was true for Grace. And now Fritelli, van Rooyen and Bezuidenhout are following the script.

Today van Rooyen was up by 2 on the front nine, and finished 2 shots out of the lead. These young South African golfers remind me of the Proteas. Higgo looked to have the goods last year but hardly ever makes the cut these days. 

Depressing, but it’s good to see Spieth   winning again….at least he’s not a cookie cutter player. A little neurosis makes it more interesting. 

Apr 18, 2022, 17:25

All the players mentioned had great talent with the clubs but the  major ones that they all appeared to lack at a stage was the example shown by Spieth in this play-off.

Although Gary Player did come close in my opinion.

Confidence in yourself under pressure, stay cool and deliver.

Great win for a great golfer.

Apr 18, 2022, 21:45

Spieth is  a master out of the sand under pressure.

You need to Log in to reply.