You need to LOG IN to reply.

4 SA players crack nod for Kiwis' Super Rugby team

Forum » Rugby » 4 SA players crack nod for Kiwis' Super Rugby team

Jul 11, 2019, 05:10

Cape Town - Four South Africans have cracked the nod for the New Zealand Herald's Super Rugby team of the season.

Mike Rehu, who writes for Rugby Pass, compiled the team published by the respected Kiwi newspaper.

All four of the South Africans picked are forwards, namely the Lions duo of loose forward Kwagga Smith and hooker Malcolm Marx, Bulls lock RG Snyman and Stormers prop Steven Kitshoff.

The Crusaders, the 2019 champions, have four players in the team, with the Hurricanes (2), Reds (1), Chiefs (1), Sunwolves (1), Jaguares (1) and Brumbies (1) comprising the rest of the XV.

Rehu wrote that Smith "always made a radical difference when he was on the field", while "Marx was the most complete package".

The Kiwi scribe added that Snyman "was an athlete who impressed at line out time (highest average lineout takes per game) and around the field with subtle offloads and startling pace" and Kitshoff was "great scrummager and hard man to pull down".

NZ Herald and Rugby Pass Super Rugby team of the season:

15 Will Jordan (Crusaders), 14 Sevu Reece (Crusaders), 13 Anton Lienert-Brown (Chiefs), 12 Samu Kerevi (Reds), 11 Semisi Masirewa (Sunwolves), 10 Richie Mo'unga (Crusaders), 9 TJ Perenara (Hurricanes), 8 Kwagga Smith (Lions), 7 Ardie Savea (Hurricanes), 6 Pablo Matera (Jaguares), 5 Scott Barrett (Crusaders), 4 RG Snyman (Bulls), 3 Allan Alaalatoa (Brumbies), 2 Malcolm Marx (Lions), 1 Steven Kitshoff (Stormers)

Jul 11, 2019, 09:47

Interesting...I must say, I like Kwagga, but I am surprised that a Kiwi would rate him this highly (at 8 though?)...always put in a great effort. 

Jul 11, 2019, 10:05

The selection is representative of the competition.

Mo'unga is by no means a better 10 than Beauden Barrett ... and to select Ala'alatoa over Tupou and Kisthoff over Gqoboka is absurd.

Snyman had a good season but he was no where near as good as Pagadizabal this year.

Jordan made the run on side every other week so why he's included is beyond me. I would have gone with Damien McKensie at 15 instead.

We also cannot ignore Folau and Laumape.

Some questionable selections.

Jul 11, 2019, 10:14

You cannot ignore Folau! CC you scoundrel. You're lucky you re not posting on Oz social media!

Seems Bent Reed is out of favour which is no surprise to me.Of course too many frot KBBS selected!

Telling that there are no SA backs picked. again underlines where the biggest problem lies. Rassie has a mountain to climb. That said it looked to me the Bok backline attack improved although defence was at times shoddy.

Jul 11, 2019, 10:43

The fact is Mozart and AO would have fits about he proposed team as suggested by that kiwi reporter.   They would demonize Kitshoff and write up Vermeulen and any comment on Folau will be attacked by AO.  Everything will be "hype" and the two would quote RPI ratings as if their lives depends on it.

Interesting team - but I think David Havili should be the full back and Luamape the inside center - a player much like Kerevi - but I think much  better in defense.    

Jul 11, 2019, 13:38

Actually Tokkie you have already commented on this team under Dave's post on my 'take on Kitshoff', which shows one of two things:

1 You never bothered to go to the link and read the team before you commented on it.

or......

2 Your brain is now so addled you don't remember what you posted about earlier this week.

Jul 11, 2019, 14:21

No Mozart

I read your comments with serious reservations knowing really what would come out in your postings - complete drivel about players you dislike. 

Jul 11, 2019, 16:11

Just answer the question, 1 or 2 Tokkie?

Jul 11, 2019, 17:08

Jul 11, 2019, 18:12

Yes I saw the team selection and my heart took pity on you two knowing how upset you would be because of some selections.   I am still waiting for your comments on the selections.

By the way there is one selection I differ from - namely the locks,   Barrett played at 4.  His line-out play was iffy and very questionable - too often penalized at line-outs.   Snyman played at 5 and that is where the should be selected.    Why not  Guido Petti Pagadizaval at 4?.        

Jul 11, 2019, 22:24

Okay so 2....the dementia kid!

You need to Log in to reply.