8 Saffas in Sale Sharks side for the weekend

Forum » Rugby » 8 Saffas in Sale Sharks side for the weekend

Nov 08, 2019, 00:34

And that excludes Faf and Lood who will soon report for duty no doubt - well Faf will Lood not given his shoulder

SA players included are:

Aker vd Merwe

Coenie

Dan du Preez

JL du Preez

Jono Ross

Papier

Robert du Preez

Rohan Janse v Rensburg

Nov 08, 2019, 06:06

And we still won the WC!

Nov 08, 2019, 06:35

Lood is out for six months due to operation on his shoulder.   Wonder who will cover the cost of his salary in his absence?   That means he will not be available for the English season and will only be able to play again on May 2020.     

Nov 08, 2019, 14:51

A list of all overseas players would show how devastating a loss our Super franchises have suffered. 

You simply cannot build a cup winning team with these sort of loses; which include these days the young and the best. 

Nov 08, 2019, 15:13

Beeno

I do not entirely agree with you.   The losses are serious - but it opens the way for new talent to come though.   After the franchises will suffer for a year or two if they are properly coached  they will rebuild their resources.

This is another reason for Erasmus becoming Director of Rugby - there will be players fading out over the next two years and  Erasmus's task is to identify potential top class players and see to it that they get all coaching and other help to develop to test players.   That did not happen under Meyer and the result was a mess by 2015.

I sincerely believe that Ersmus will do a proper job and that his mission is the only one to advance out rugby further,

However, the Stormers are real village idiots.   They allowed to top Matie Varsity Cup players to escape - eg Smith (12) and Chait (10).   Perhaps moving to the Sharks may be better for Chait because of Willemse still being at the Stormers.

I posted two video clips of the Maties performances last year and a clip on Chait.   Have a look at those,       

Nov 08, 2019, 21:27

Bullshit Mike - the number of players leaving is just far too many to sustain a good level of Super rugby sides.

The odd player here and there is manageable but when the Bulls for instance lose all 5 of their squad locks plus two flanks who could play lock in Kirsten and Liebenberg there is no way they can recover that kind of loss of players through others coming through

Nov 09, 2019, 15:04

I agree Dave - there are too many leaving and rebuilding will take time - but then as soon as a player develop to a certain level - the clubs are like vultures waiting to strike,    There will soon be as many SAFFAS and other SH players playing club rugby in England as their are locals.   

The solution is not a good one at present and I am hopeful that at least we are getting now players to look at.  

You need to Log in to reply.