1. RPI: 81
  2. Influence: 73
  3. Pass Complete: 74
  4. Scrum Score: 85
  5. Attacking: 80
  6. World Rank: 11
  7. Super Rank: 3

Jul 02, 2019, 14:15

They need an 'in reserve' category. Vermeulen does none of the obvious process tackling and running which lifts the likes of Stephanie. Come the big game he can lift his performance .....the others are already at 8000 revs.

Kwagga had some fabulous games in this Super season....he looked more like a 15 man player than last year. Will he show in the wet, heavy conditions likely in Japan, against big packs though....not sure, but he warrants at least a bench shot.

Jul 02, 2019, 14:38

Vermeulen does the minimum of tackles because he is pace-deficient.   It is time that you two "experts" ask SARU for an explanation of what you two call "process tackles" are.  It is the most stupid statement ever on site and what you came up is even more stupid., 

Then maybe it will hit home that all tackles are important and that while some players making more tackles than others it does not mean that their tackles are less important based purely on the fact that they make more tackles.      

Jul 02, 2019, 15:04

Agreed Moz, Thor is a big performer. Another thing to note is quantity of possession. I don't dislike Dan, but he has an awful lot of ball. In some games he had up to 15% of team possession. This is an unbelievable stat! Thor didn't have anywhere near as much possession per game.

Kwagga couldn't hold his own in good conditions against Wales last year. He was the worst Bok on the field, comprehensively dominated from start to finish. I think he is well suited to Super rugby. I don't believe for one second he is a viable test option. 

If we look at performance curve, Thor has bettered Dan for some time now. It's close, but Thor is still number 1.

Jul 02, 2019, 15:55

Tokkie you have already forgotten Vermeulen's 70 metre run....where the opposing wing could hardly catch up. And when he finally did Thor just swatted him. Vermeulen is plenty fast enough.

And process tackles aren't a big accomplishment....even Stephanie makes them.

Okay enough with the nonsense. I agree Augie Dan is okay....I just don't think he has another gear, the ability to impose himself against the Irish, which looms as our big game.

Jul 02, 2019, 16:30

Steph makes them, sometimes:D

Jul 02, 2019, 17:10

It happened once in his career - now suddenly it is gospel.  The NZ franchises pick wings of the basis of strength and they have very few really speedy wings.

What the hell is "process tackles" and why is it worthless in rugby?  Your terminilogy on rigby is what one can really call total BS.

Jul 02, 2019, 17:19

Not as funny as "being sensitive to one's balls". :D

I'll take 'process tackles' thanks. 

Jul 02, 2019, 17:26

FO idiot.

Jul 02, 2019, 17:26

FO idiot.

Jul 03, 2019, 00:22

Gosh, I struggle with most of those terminologies/abbreviations:

RPI? ..... The nearest I can get is RIP, and I hope it is not that.

Influence? ... losing ball, stealing ball, talking to the ref, captain, ?????

Scrum score? 

World Rank? ... based on what?

The graph suggest Dan du Preez is the better player. His graph is the only one that shows an upwards trend..... but I guess one could draw other graphs as well.

Jul 03, 2019, 00:59

Rugby Pass Index ....supposedly the most detailed analysis of player impact on the 'match defining' events. Every significant player is listed, analyzed and ranked.

Jul 03, 2019, 01:56

Dan Diesel is a process call carrier from stationary rucks. The 1st runner to carry the ball up. 

He does appear to think more than his sibling Dumb Luck Dupreez. 

Jul 03, 2019, 03:55

Dan has explosive power off the mark and strength. He can pass, though he isn't immune to some handling errors or forcing passes. He'll get you over the gain line though and that is an important ingredient for Bok rugby. Thor is the better all-round player. So much play runs through Dan that it's easy to compare the two and undervalue Thor. Creating a lopsided impression - hence me mentioning the sheer volume of possession Dan can have per game, filling out the stats sheet. 

Jul 03, 2019, 12:31

AO

Who made those RATINGS you published on site?

Jul 03, 2019, 14:28

So ... Vermeulen's attacking is a mere 65, huh? ... in comparison to Dan Du Preez's  90 ... and Kwagga's 80.

Oopsie!! I wonder ... do you think it's his age showing? LOL!!!

His influence on the game seems a little on the low side too ... a dismal 58 ... in comparison to Du Preez 78 ... and Kwagga's 73.

Is 58 even a pass mark? If it is, then it sounds as if he's barely scraping through. 

I take it this is an average for the season just played?

So based on that ... the less you play the higher your stats will be ... right? It's an average of all the matches played this season.

I wonder what he would have scored had he played as many matches as the other two?

Probably have scored in the low 30's and even that's pushing it.

I think he would have top scores for rest and relaxing at home. Yup no doubt. 

Well there you have it. Moffie's stats confirms it all ... Vermeulen is a loser and Dan Du Preez should by rights be the starting 8 with Kwagga a good bench option as his cover ... which means that Vermeulen will be lucky to make the squad at all.

Kwagga on the other hand should take the 6 jersey from the useless Quota Kolisi.

Jul 03, 2019, 14:35

I see Elton Jantjies is ranked at 5 as an inside centre for the RC ... and comes in at 7 for his Super Rugby season this year.

Good to know that he's an option at 12 for the coming WC, right Moffie? I mean just in case Fats Franse picks up a niggle.

Impressive ... he has a 71 for attacking and a 72 for his influence on the game. 

That's better than what Vermeulen managed in the few games he played this year ... right Moffie?

LMAO!!!!

Jul 03, 2019, 14:54

Mike, I answered that question yesterday. I believe Moz answered it as well. How many more times? Rugby Pass. We've discussed this ad nasseum nearly a dozen times already. :sleeping:

Jul 03, 2019, 15:56

Who operates Rugby Pass?   Is it reputable or a case of  rugby writers with whose comments nutcases like you and Mozart sometimes agree,   . 

Jul 03, 2019, 15:59

No need to look to me for approval on every point you make Carbuncle.

Jul 03, 2019, 16:16

but, but, but ... you're the knowitall, Mozart.

You said so yourself. Remember?

Now ... explain to me why Vermeulen should be considered over the younger, stronger, hungrier Du Preez.

The stats are all against him.

In fact ... the stats suggest that he shouldn't be an option at all for the coming WC.

I know you love using the stats as a reference ... or is that only when it suits your argument?

Jul 03, 2019, 16:28

79>78........say no more.

Jul 03, 2019, 17:15

Oh boy. Pip 'N Squeal, the gift that keeps on giving! :D

You need to Log in to reply.