A tighthead......the kingdom for a tighthead and a flyhalf who can kick

Forum » Rugby » A tighthead......the kingdom for a tighthead and a flyhalf who can kick

Jul 06, 2019, 14:47

One suspects the Saders had something in reserve....but the Bargies won the possession and territory contests. They made some cool offloads that with better finishing should have resulted in tries.

But time and again Bonilla kicked soft balls to Bridge. Whereas Reece on the other side was a much more promising high ball target......and the kicks themselves were woeful. So much possession coughed up.

Still The man who really sank the ship was Medrano who leaked 3 scrumming penalties against Moody, hardly a fearsome scrummager.

The Jaguares defended superbly, they made some good hard yards.....but if you can't scrum and you can't kick.....you lose.

Congrats to the Saders.....the professionals in a league of amateur teams.

Jul 06, 2019, 14:54

Thanks Dr Moz you clearly read my posts. Spot on of course. Seb got it right as well.

Jul 06, 2019, 15:47

The Jaguaries clearly missed their Home Support and finishing. They did create space. On another matter, I am looking forward to see what Erasmus is up to given the extra time he has had with the Boks :D

Jul 06, 2019, 16:25

Hacked Waugh as long as we don't have key players out the Boks could surprise. 

Rassie is a shrewd operator 

Jul 06, 2019, 17:13

New Zealanders have been feasting on aerial superiority since 2010. Take that away, and you have the 2018 Pretoria test. I'll be interested to see how the Los Pumas perform this year. In the first Bok test of the RC, they were effortlessly pinned for most of the game. Their entire move-set was 9-POD-9-10 Kick, literally. Their kicks weren't very good. The Boks have the tools to take New Zealand's aerial dominance away, again. However, much of that depends on the consistency of our 9. Faf was on point in Pretoria, launhed aimless nerfballs in Wellington. Of our other 9s, Van Zyl has the best boot. Schreuder has the better overall game though. Papier is lagging behind. So we don't have a clear-cut tactical option. I saw two Reinach games, nothing stood out. Given that José Erasmus will be parking the tractor against New Zealand, our kicking game will have to be on point. Our chasers must also be on their game. 

I think our scrum will hold its own against the SH sides. However, the NH sides have left the SH set pieces for dust. 

Jul 06, 2019, 17:45

Sow what else is new?   Mozart is now suddenly criticizing kicking and AO is talking KAK again   

Jul 06, 2019, 17:50

If Organhuffer thinks our problems are aerial he needs to come down to earth quickly! :D

Jul 06, 2019, 18:04

"AO id ytaalkimng KAK again"

Is that paleo-Zulu? 

@Sitzsack: Last year we kicked from zone 1, zone 2, zone 3 and zone 4. In fact, there was a stretch of games where we were kicking more in the first zone of the opposition's half than from our 22! We also kicked from our wings. Long, slow-developing plays which left our wings with no space. So we kicked or cut back inside for a ruck which provided slow possession and a vulnerability for turnovers or penalties. Numerous tries were run back from poor kicks. We conceded a lot of territory because of high balls which weren't just aimless, but went straight up in the air! Our best kicking performance was the Pretoria Kiwi test. The rest weren't very good. That's a problem given that José Erasmus is using kicking to generate any kind of momentum. Any kind of slow ball, Faf is kicking. We'll keep kicking until we go forward and eventually kick attacking ball into the corners! 

Jul 06, 2019, 20:49

Correction Tokkie.....I don't have a problem with kicking, I have a problem with bad kicking. If you are 60 metres out or more and phase play is static for more than 10phases, far better to kick....stats show if you don't you gift not only possession but also territory.

Jul 06, 2019, 21:58

One would have said the exact opposite taking into account your support of the past of the poor kicking of the Steyns and your statement that there is no such thing as aimless and poor kicking, 

Jul 06, 2019, 23:24

The Boks haven't been able to control possession for territory since Morné. They also haven't been able to play a seamless attacking game since Morné. 

@Moz: Quite right. Play in the opposition's half. It takes the sting out of penalties and turnovers. It was one of those hard lessons New Zealand had to learn in 2009, but learn they did! How delightfully funny that Mike's big pick for Bok coach is the very essence of the game he loathes. We haven't had a Bok team kick so frequently or poorly since Straeuli. :D

Jul 07, 2019, 07:49

The problem with poor kicks is that it leads to possession turnovers and we had some real beauties.  The worst kickers ever were Morne and Fat Fransie Steyn the worst since 2000 - [;ayers who the kick and age maniacs in the past and in the case of the latter still supports.

Jul 07, 2019, 09:35

If you want your age maniac, look in the mirror. Ask him about his age gaff regarding Meyer's first Bok team, his WC team and Rassie's Bok team. Ask him why he rants until he is frothing at the mouth. Yes, there's your maniac. 

Jul 07, 2019, 09:52

Ag foeitog - the poor idiot is trying  and get to me about my age - while we are dealing wit player ages,   That does not help here but the fact is he cannot face up to the atrocious kickinh records oif the Steyns - which is the key to the discussions in this thread.

He makes idiotic statements and then want all of us to believe us all  to believe his BS,      

Jul 07, 2019, 10:13

download

" />

You need to Log in to reply.