Ackerman Leaving Gloucester and off to Japan

Forum » Rugby » Ackerman Leaving Gloucester and off to Japan

May 16, 2020, 15:02

The following from News24:-

English Premiership club Gloucester have confirmed the departure of former Lions coach Johan Ackermann to NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes in Japan. 

The news was confirmed on Friday morning on the club's website

Ackermann, who spent three years at Gloucester, thanked the club. 

"Being head coach of Gloucester Rugby has been a tremendous privilege for me, and I have loved every minute of it," he said in a statement.

"Working with such a fantastic group of players and coaches has been a great experience. I would especially like to thank Martin [St Quinton] for the faith that he has shown in me. His support and friendship have meant a lot to me.

"Gloucester Rugby fans are a truly unique group, and I will always cherish the memories I have of being at Kingsholm. I wish the Club nothing but the best."

Gloucester chairperson Martin St Quinton wished Ackermann well.

"I’d like to put on record our thanks to Johan for the significant contribution he’s made to the club over the three seasons he’s been with us," he said.

"His infectious enthusiasm for the game, as well as his in-depth rugby knowledge, made him not only a fans’ favourite, but a strong leader of our playing department. I wish him every success in his new venture."

I am not going to be nasty and will leave comments to people living in the UK.   Please concentrate on the following:-

"Was Ackerman really a success at Gloucester?

May 16, 2020, 21:46

He was very good for Gloucester in his first two years despite having very few test players in his squad compared to the other clubs

This last season has not been that good

The club and supporters love him

May 17, 2020, 23:24

I am not going to be nasty and will leave comments to people living in the UK.  “

Why? Since when is not living in the UK stopping you from commenting? :D

May 18, 2020, 05:52

Since I have not seen enough matches involving  Gloucester. 

May 18, 2020, 11:50

His son is staying in England though. 

May 18, 2020, 12:14

I'm surprised he opted for the lowly second rate rugby in Japan.

He won't be making a name for himself there, that's for sure.

I guess the mighty dollar entices us all.

You need to Log in to reply.