Andre Esterhuizen

Forum » Rugby » Andre Esterhuizen

May 04, 2022, 20:15

Literally makes the Premiership TOTW every week

May 04, 2022, 20:39

Great player, but I get the impression that he's not being selected to protect DdA...he should have stayed in the squad since 2019.

May 04, 2022, 20:47

DDA is being protected by not selecting the 2nd best choice? 

Esterhuizen was amazing for the Sharks, but he has never carried that form across to test level yet. 
Not sure how many Bok coaches he has played under. Rassie, Alister Toetsie Coetsie, and also Meyer? 

His form for the Sharks has been carried across to his current form, so maybe he can get better at test level with more opportunity. 

May 04, 2022, 20:54

I don't see any other reason not to select him...he is clearly the next in line...maybe better...why does Rassie not see this?

May 04, 2022, 20:56

I believe in the power of selection consistency too, but Rassie is stretching it too far...some positions have no challengers. 

May 04, 2022, 21:19

The Genius in Rassie has gone walkabout.

May 04, 2022, 21:54

Esterhuizen is going to feature in the overseas based Bok alignment camp so Rassie and co have taken notice

May 05, 2022, 05:26

I read on Supersport the sharks signed RJVR .... another candidate that might fall in R&N,s bracket of 10 caps of experience...it's all good and well to have experience as long as it's made up With enough young guns to fuel the fire...A guy like Roos, with his exceptional talent and playing time against test level players in urc, can adapt quickly to bok system and perform on the field...and there are many more candidates. The bok squad is in desperate need of more inform younger players that will bring more and better dimensions to our game....R&N,s contingency plan for bok future and especially player depth, needs a definite tune up....up coming bok selection will shed more light.

May 05, 2022, 13:26

The man has been on fire all season and probably right now outperforming De Allende. If I was Rassie I would look at bringing this guy into the bok squad and look to build depth and experience. 

We need to be trying at least 3 different players in each position leading up to the world cup. Esterhuizen been there and won't weaken the team. 

We have Willemse and Frans as our backline jokers but if Willemse gets injured we will be left very short on Fullback, Centre and Flyhalf. The same can be said for Frans and whether he can keep up with the pace which I for one think may be one season to long for him. 

Players that can fill multiple positions is a bonus and it helps in tournaments where you want continuity but if you have the luxury of home test and can involve more players in your training group, then why not?  

So guys like Esterhuizen and Rikus should be back up to De Allende. You can give De Allende two starts in a test with a guy like Esterhuizen on the bench. Then, if and when the the 3rd test is a dead rubber, then elevate Esterhuizen to start with Rikus on the bench. 

You can start with Gelant and have Willemse covering 10, 12 and 15. 

But we don't always have to persist with the bomb squad

May 05, 2022, 16:27

Two factors that limit the so called selectors is they rely on older experience players and the ANC color mandate.

Young guns with talent are called up to Bok camp but never take to the field in a test.

Take the Dup twins as an example. How many times have they been to the training camps and don't even get a bench selection for a test.

Pity, but a complete lack of foresight for the long term.

May 05, 2022, 17:31

Have to agree AJH, instead they go for Qwagga a slight man that got man handled by the BIL. 

Not to mention players like Nacho who got completely destroyed. If Rassie likes playing this hard to the ball type of rugby, these guys should be there. 

May 05, 2022, 18:37

You spot on AJH du Preez twins, Rynhart elstadt all just bench warmers....it's absolutely pathetic that young inform players like Roos, rickus, butalezi etc, are not part of the bok squad already...R&N has turned Bok Rugby into the holy grail....it should be made more easy for our young guns to enter and be tested instead of playing with old over the hill players.

You need to Log in to reply.