Aotearoa trophy . . .

Forum » Rugby » Aotearoa trophy . . .

Aug 12, 2020, 10:30

We don't seem to have a lot of Kiwi posters left on here but if any of our NZ friends do see this . . .

. . . what is that thing?

It looks like a turd with a rudder or a propeller shoved into it.

Can you tell us what it's supposed to represent?

Aug 12, 2020, 10:50

The wooden section is a waka, and the green bit a club. I'm not sure what the meaning is or the cultural significance of the club is. The canoe was a big part of islander life, so no surprises there.

Aug 12, 2020, 11:00

". . . but if any of our NZ friends do see this . . ."

Omlett-Angie, you're not a New Zealander, you don't have any friends and you're the most clueless rugby noob on this forum so I have no idea why you think anyone might care about your whiny opinion.

Please keep your stupid trap shut and speak when you're spoken to. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2020, 13:08

Not-Mozart, when you can retract the tail that guards your undercarriage in a rugby debate, then we can talk. Until then, you are and forever will be the oversized green head mounted on my wall wishing he could fill Moz's shoes. And to speak of no friends? :D

Always good for a laugh.

"It looks like a turd with a rudder or a propeller shoved into it."

And one wonders why there are so few of them here. Not-Mozart, with the friendly approach, because he is so well practiced in forming friendships. Ende kleiner Kind. 

Aug 12, 2020, 13:23

...As opposed to Rooi who is an absolute delight, loved by everyone and certainly a rugby genius.

What a joke.

FFS Rooi stop being such an asshole. 

Aug 12, 2020, 13:52

WTF?

Aug 12, 2020, 15:00

Tu Kotahi Aotearoa Is the name of the trophy and translates to “stand as one, New Zealand”. The trophy was created by Otaki carver Bill Doyle and represents the coming together of the Blues, Chiefs, Hurricanes, Crusaders and Highlanders in the wake of the disruption and turmoil caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

It is carved out of totara. The base represents an upturned waka (canoe) while the mounted traditional ‘pounamu mere’ signifies the strength and unity rugby has shown to create competition and bring the rugby community back together.

I hear after some drunken celebrations post match, the pounamu got damaged, fell off and went missing. I’m guessing the Crusaders didn’t get the gist of the trophy either or maybe their cabinet was already too full to accomodate it.

Aug 12, 2020, 15:30

Thanks Cloudy.

I believe you guys have a few new Covid cases in Auckland. Hope you contain it quickly.

Aug 12, 2020, 15:37

No problem.

Yes only Auckland in lockdown. I doubt the ‘dead rubber’ game between the Blues and the Saders will go ahead.

Aug 12, 2020, 16:07

Hi Clouds, how's things in Aus? You guys coping OK?

PS, I was cheering the Blues on during the whole of this competition...I love the underdog and some of my favorite NZ players are playing for them.

Aug 12, 2020, 16:35

Hey Draad how are you? Oz not doing good. The state of Victoria is in complete lockdown and borders are closed between states. This Covid feels like you’re forever treading water.

Have really enjoyed the Aotearoa comp it’s brought a lot of joy to struggling families. It’s good to see the Blues getting it together after years of grief and misery lol. The standout for me is Hoskins Sotutu, I think he could be our next number 8. Caleb Clarke, Will Jordan and Asafo Aumua from their U20 days have always impressed me. Good to see the young players coming through.

Is there any news about your rugby over there?

Aug 12, 2020, 16:40

‘Maybe their cabinet was already too full to accommodate it’..,,,,good to see these World Cup losers from New Zealand haven’t lost their arrogance.

Aug 12, 2020, 16:46

Who said anything about the WC? Was alluding sarcastically to their Super Rugby titles .....but good to see you haven’t lost yours. Whatever.

Aug 12, 2020, 16:52

Good to see you are still feebly excusing drunken celebrations as long as it’s done by a NZ team.

Aug 12, 2020, 16:54

Where am I excusing them? Geez did you just eat some sour grapes? Go make some maple syrup pancakes or inject some disinfectant whatever takes your fancy. Douche

Aug 12, 2020, 17:09

Aug 12, 2020, 17:12

Oh and now we are lying.....nice.

Aug 12, 2020, 17:15

You’re not a douche? Three Hail Marys my bad.

But who’s ‘we’.....

Aug 12, 2020, 17:19

Clouds, my family  and I am fine, but we aren't doing well as a country...5th most cases in the world...etc, but it's understandable. Unfortunately we are a 3rd world country with too many challenges to successfully contain the virus. We will just have to ride it out. Many will die, but we have weathered greater adversities in the past... we'll be OK. 

In the long run, corruption is a much bigger problem. Maybe this virus can somehow unite us to start fighting the corruption. People are tired of seeing public funds and aid packages being looted by corrupt officials. 

Aug 12, 2020, 17:20

Aug 12, 2020, 17:28

Douche....oh my, that changes everything. Now I will  have to reassess my whole sense of self worth. Douche? Really? Crushing, the worst thing I have ever been called.

But no, I was referring to your clumsy reference to the lie about Trump....derangement syndrome just can’t be treated.

Aug 12, 2020, 17:31

Im glad to hear you’re doing well Draad. I hear your frustration I think I’ve spoken a few times about my saffa friend and she often tells me about her family at home in SA she sends them money just so they can survive. It’s really sad what people have to deal with because of shoddy leaders and governments. There’s no denying Covid has changed the world, whether it’s changed hearts remains to be seen. Some countries are obviously better off, but there are a lot of people doing it tough, even here.

Aug 12, 2020, 17:34

"But no, I was referring to your clumsy reference to the lie about Trump....derangement syndrome just can’t be treated."

Huh??

Aug 12, 2020, 17:35

Don’t try too hard.....it’s as cringeworthy as your hero. And ummm it’s no lie unless the word ‘swallow’ should be replaced by ‘inject’. There I fixed it. Have a lovely super duper day.

Aug 12, 2020, 17:38

Draad...don’t worry he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Aug 12, 2020, 17:41

Still like to know who the ‘we’ is ...hhhhhhhh

Aug 12, 2020, 18:27

We give one another nicknames on this forum, usually to have a dig at someone or to try annoy them, but sometimes the nickname is an epic fail because it ends up being a back-handed compliment. Such is the case with Omlett-Angie calling me "Not-Mozart". It's a name that makes me beam with pride and I nod with approval every time Omlett-Angie uses it.

You just have to read this thread to see why!

Aug 12, 2020, 19:13

"It looks like a turd with a rudder or a propeller shoved into it."

Slightly out of character for Rudeneck...this kinda rude BS is normally reserved for South African posters only... hy's gewoonlik 'n gatkruiper met die New Zeelanders...wonder what happened there...momentary lapse of reason or a freudian slip?

Aug 12, 2020, 19:25

Pounamu Mere.

Thanks Cloudy. I recognized it and knew it was some sort of traditional tool but didn't know exactly what it was...

Aug 12, 2020, 20:56

It sounds like Zac Guilford was back at the Crusaders and handed out a celebration drink and things go out of hand again.

The first story was it got damaged passing it around (presumed at the stadium), but it later transpires they took it out on the night of celebrations.

Two things are certain in rugby.
1. South Africa will always have a new steroid scandal
2. New Zealand will have a new piss up scandal, having wrested away this mantle from the Ozzies some time ago.

Aug 12, 2020, 21:15

No still  a lie. This is what Trump said verbatim:

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."

Any half educated person would have noticed the question....’is there a way”......or the deferring to doctors.

Of course he should never have said it because the media manipulated the comment and the fools  repeat the lie.

In fact the basic concept is about to be realized using Remdesivir in nasal spray sucking it directly into the lungs...and ultra violet light is now being used extensively eg by airlines.

So criticize if you like, but don’t lie.

Aug 12, 2020, 23:04

Still not worth looking in as the same tiresome ,dickish behaviour is the norm.In any case I hope you all stay safe and FFS  dont go drinking the bleach or Kooll Aid or wotnot.

Cheers .

Aug 13, 2020, 03:59

True Wardad ...good to see you’re still around.  I hope you and the whanau are safe and well :)

Aug 13, 2020, 04:07

Draad....tbh I didn’t really get the design, the cultural thing I do but I don’t see the significance of the canoe being upside down.  Perhaps the designer could explain that but I’m sure it’s not the most hideous trophy that was ever made.  Perhaps sharkbok could put up some pictures with that title ;)

Aug 13, 2020, 06:13

It’s a piece of modern art, presenting the rudder as a focal point....and  also has the practical advantage that it can be safely placed without tilting. Kind of cool actually, but perhaps a little too abstract for the literal types. I guess they would feel the same way about a Henry Moore sculpture.

Aug 13, 2020, 06:50

The world was turned upside down by the virus, but we won't go down without a fight. Corney as hell, but WTH!:D

Hi Wardad. Good to see you aroun...hope you and your fam are well....

This board, and the world be extension, is what we make of it...we can focuss on the bad and give up...or we can enjoy the good and take the bad on the chin.

...corney sermon for the day...check.:D

Aug 13, 2020, 07:04

‘you may trod me in the very dirt, but still like dust I’ll rise’ 

That’s the spirit draad :)

Aug 13, 2020, 07:59

Moz, 

Are you a Moore fan?

Three Points is one of my favorites. 

A great place for art noobs to start as well. 

Simple in execution yet endlessly suggestive of deeper concepts. Quite brilliant.

One wonders if USSRooi is able to glean a single bit of artistic intention from the piece.

Aug 13, 2020, 09:58

What's the art like on Meton, Ayling?

Aug 13, 2020, 11:06

Go on Rooi...

Tell us what Three Points asks of you. 

Aug 13, 2020, 12:00

Hmmmm . . . let's see . . . it looks like a UFO to me . . . something that might fly to Proxima Centauri and back in 4 months.

So Ayling (again!), how is the art on planet Meton?

Aug 13, 2020, 12:46

"It’s a piece of modern art, presenting the rudder as a focal point . . ."

Listen to this pompous and pretentious old windbag!

Cloudy goes to some lengths to explain that it's a "pounamu mere" which is a traditional weapon carved out of greenstone . . . but here's this fake pseudo-art critic trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about babbling on about the "rudder" being the "focal point".

LMAO!

You know, even though Cloudy has added some context around the symbolism of the trophy, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a very ugly trophy that looks more like something you'd use to clean a toilet than something you'd hold above your head in triumph . . . so while New Zealanders might understand the meaning of it, only a pretentious and attention-seeking old fop like Moffie or a human-alien hybrid from the planet Meton like Ayling would try to pretend it's a thing of aesthetic beauty.

Aug 13, 2020, 13:07

Sarcasm much?

Aug 13, 2020, 13:22

Translation - Rooi has not a nat's fart of a clue.

Aug 13, 2020, 13:42

"Translation - Rooi has not a nat's fart of a clue."

Well, Ayling, what I do know is that appreciation of art is a highly subjective matter . . . and I also at least know how to spell "gnat" . . . so not all bad . . . could be worse . . .

Aug 13, 2020, 15:31

And this morning there is news of a nanobody anti viral nasal spray....once again following the basic template Trump suggested.

The concoction is an aerosolized nanobody or AeroNabs for short. Manglik and Walter are co-inventors. With a nasal spray or inhaler, it could be self-administered daily, since it works differently than a vaccine. Manglik says AeroNabs instead provides what he calls “passive immunity” with effects that are temporary. After application, the body will work to clear it out like other medications.

The hope is that a daily application might be a bridge until a true vaccine is developed, which will then actively coax our own immune system into disabling the virus.‘

Aug 13, 2020, 15:41

I have two small Moore’s Plum.....one of his warriors and a piece that’s very similar to the Moore in The Object of Beauty movie. In my view he is the greatest British artist of the 20th century, although not as expensive as Bacon or even Bridget Riley these days. His paintings aren’t as appealing although his war images in the bomb shelters are certainly moving.

Aug 13, 2020, 16:37

One of South Africa’s most influential sculptors, Edoardo Villa (1915-2011) was a prolific artist who created more than 1,000 sculptures during his career and profoundly influenced the way that modern, abstract sculpture is understood and celebrated today in South Africa.

Aug 13, 2020, 16:47

Above we have Villa......one of the South African greats who also did warrior images.

Aug 14, 2020, 17:59

Nice Moz.

When did you get them?

Are you familiar with Lynn Chadwick?

He's my antithesis to Moore.

Moore's overarching narrative, for me, was always chaos and order from chaos. He constantly seems to want to draw one's attention to the endless spectrum of order. It's why I like Three Points so much. It seems to serve as a sort of synopsis of his artistic perspective. Of course, I'm generalising. 

However, Chadwick mocks the viewer in suggesting that order isn't a natural outcome of symmetry and that consciousness has the final say in how the world is perceived. Much of his work reminds me, in some way, of frailty.

Both wonderful artists.

Aug 14, 2020, 22:31

Yes  I know Chadwick’s work Plum....she and Moore are both regulars on the auction circuit and both very much collected. You might also like the Uruguayan artist Pablo Atchugarry

Aug 14, 2020, 23:03

Looks like someone has vandalised Edoardo’s letterbox......

Aug 14, 2020, 23:12

Ever since Picasso, anything can be considered art. 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but sometimes a thing becomes popular and thereafter, a herd of sheep will form. 

750+ Best Modern Art Pictures [HD] | Download Free Images on Unsplash

These giant poo sculptures prove 'contemporary art is not s ...

Aug 15, 2020, 08:54

"Yes  I know Chadwick’s work Plum....she and Moore  . . ."

"She?"

LMAO!

Sounds like Moffie knows "her" really well!

Aug 15, 2020, 09:29

Thanks Moz, I'll check him out.

I'm inquisitive now. What other pieces are you hiding there in Chicago?

Pay no attention to RedCommie. The only art he owns is a Che T-Shirt signed by Zuma. Haha!

Aug 15, 2020, 09:40

Yes VisKop.

What a staggering contribution. Some contemporary abstract art is nonsense. Wow.

It would be great to get your take on Picasso. 

Aug 15, 2020, 10:53

Wehe . . . so Ayling, no correction or even an acknowledgement of your master's hilarious notion that Lynn Chadwick is a woman? 

LMAO!

After the pompous and pretentious old fool claimed he knows "her" work!

Too funny . . . but Ayling's desire to displace the Squeaky Toy as the Alpha Gimp is too strong . . . and he lets it slide. Imagine if me or Sharkbok had said something that laughably ignorant! Can you just imagine the fallout?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This thread is turning into a keeper!

Aug 15, 2020, 11:10

Poor Rooi

As you may have noticed, I don't require using spelling or grammatical errors to win arguments against you.

Yourself and VrotVis are the two that generally have to use any tool at your disposal just to stay afloat.

I care more about the content of statements. Being a grown-up is what it's called. 

My pleasure BTW, for bringing a touch of class to your otherwise ______ thread.

Aug 15, 2020, 11:23

Isn’t it rooinek?  Hilarious :D

Btw that was not a grammatical error.  More like a huge gaffe lol

Aug 15, 2020, 11:30

‘Looks like someone has vandalised Edoardo’s letterbox...’

Haha my thoughts exactly Moolaa.  Ltns what happened to your Chiefs?  It’s not like they didn’t try.  I was at the game back in June at Waikato stadium didn’t see you though :P

Aug 15, 2020, 11:39

Bum Plum the pseudo-intellectual is a sheep pretending he has an appreciation for art he has never heard of. Well, it certainly brings a welcome change to crop circles he draws on his walls. 

Give my regards to Ayling...

Aug 15, 2020, 11:57

What you tits don't realise is that knowing an artist is not the same as knowing their art.

I have no doubt that Moz heard the name numerous times at auctions and assumed that it was a women. 

Not many fellas are named Lin, Lyn or Lynn.

An easy mistake to make.

Lol yes Shark. My knowledge of art is very limited. Hahaha whatever makes you feel better. 

Now hit us with another ten thousand TDS inspired posts.

Or perhaps give us your take on Picasso pre and post WW1.

Tool 

Aug 15, 2020, 12:53

Pin on From the Book of Face February 2016

Aug 15, 2020, 13:22

Ok...Haha

What a...wait for it...wait for it...

Ta...ta...ta...TOOL!

Aug 15, 2020, 14:48

a a a stutter...

Aug 15, 2020, 15:10

Vissie,

One wonders if there is a single topic that you can talk with authority on?

No shame in it VisKop. You're just an uninteresting person that is not curious about the world.

Like I said. A TOOL!

Aug 15, 2020, 15:59

Believing in conspiracies is not interesting, assuming you want to understand reality. That is why the conspiracists hate scientists because they challenge/destroy their alternate realities. 

I am not an authority on most topics, but I will know most allot more than you. Although for you watching a YouTube video makes you an authority...in your alternate reality anyway. :D

Aug 15, 2020, 16:48

In true RooiVus style, allow me to point out...

"I am not an authority on most topics, but I will know most allot more than you."

Hahaha what?

Aug 16, 2020, 07:03

Exactly Plum I have never put in a bid on Chadwick, so I had no particular reason to read up on the artist. A bit of a gaffe as Cloudy puts it.  But the work is in many  Sotheby’s and Christie’s Post War catalogues, so I have seen a great deal of it.

Aug 16, 2020, 08:54

Hi Cloudy, Yes, if you’re talking about the Blues game at Waikato Stadium, I was also there! Chiefs seemed to be in every contest in the revamped comp but just couldn’t pull out a win. Exacerbating my pain at the Blues game was the attendance of 3 old Auck mates who gave me grief all evening! Still, we had a purple patch vs the Blues over the last 9 years so can’t complain!

Aug 16, 2020, 13:22

They weren’t my 3 brothers were they :D:D

We stayed in Dinsdale pity we haven’t seen each other around, would have been great to catch up.  I wonder if Brycy was there? 

Auckland seem to have found some confidence that’s been sadly lacking in recent years and a fair bit of composure to pull off some of those wins, was looking forward to the game today but we were lucky to get to the end of the comp before this latest lockdown.  Can’t complain it’s been a revelation and great to see it will continue next year.  Your boys will get better (I used to say that all the time with the Blues) lol

Hope you and yours are all safe and well.

Aug 17, 2020, 16:03

That's quite an imposing collection Moz. Sounds like it's been some years in the making.

Great choice of retirement hobby. Especially if it's paying for itself. 

My partner is a Monet fan. They're a tad pricey though haha.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Glen Brown. Here is his home page. 

https://glenn-brown.co.uk/artworks/#selected_mediums=13

What do you think?

Aug 17, 2020, 23:50

Well now that you have seen the collection, I’m going to eliminate it from the thread. Always nice to share one’s interests!

I don’t know Glenn Brown’s work, but it reminds me of George Condo and it’s beautifully rendered.  And if he is showing in Gagosian he is on the right path.

Hope Glenn isn’t a girl....lol.

Aug 18, 2020, 09:02

Indeed, and thanks for sharing Moz.

I must say that I'm rather surprised by your taste. Mine is far less sophisticated or mature. I tend to be dazzled by technique while intention is more often than not an afterthought.

It's somewhat of a curse.

Edit: Glen might be a girl today. The supposed fluidity of gender being an ever present concept these days haha

You need to Log in to reply.