Appointment of Coaching Staff of the Springboks

Forum » Rugby » Appointment of Coaching Staff of the Springboks

Dec 24, 2019, 15:15

After a lot of noise this  issue has gone quiet,   Originally I said that Erasmus will decide whom the coaching staff would be and eventually I phoned SARU and confirmed that fact.    Mozart wen ballistic and saod that is not going to happen and quoted comments what the SARU president said about the issue.  

SARU indicated that the appointments  will be finalized by February - while Alexander claimed It would be before Christmas.   Well the appointments have not been finalized.   

So here is the latest news:-

"SA Rugby has, according to reports on the TimesLIVE website, rubber-stamped Erasmus' recommendations for the new coaching structure going forward and has offered contracts to the new team that now need to be scrutinised by the coaches' respective legal representatives - and/or agents.

A source at SA Rugby said one of those agents is currently away enjoying his festive season break, pushing back the confirmation of the coaching team until just prior to next year's Super Rugby season which kicks off on January 31.

It's understood that Mzwandile Stick and Irishman Felix Jones - who were both integral members of the Springboks' World Cup win in Japan - are set to remain part of the new structure.

Forwards coach Matthew Proudfoot’s contract has expired and he will no longer be part of the coaching team and will be replaced by Davids who, most notably, previously coached the Southern Kings in the PRO14.

Proudfoot has been snapped up by England coach Eddie Jones - if reports are to be believed."

So what were the actions taken by SARU - rubberstamp what Erasmus wants and  let the contractual issues attached to it be left to the legal people to finalize.   Target date - middle to end January, 

SARU is a sieve when it comes to info and the above us likely what happened..   The one person I was 100%  sure of - it was Jones - who was one of Erasmus's assistants at Munster and was called up by Erasmus to the WC coaching staff.  He has the same attitude as Erasmus when it comes to games - ttudy the games meticulously and iro game strategy move on from there.   Clever guy.  Wonder whether he will be the backline coach.         

You need to Log in to reply.