Becs...what do you rate Tom Curry as a player

Forum » Rugby » Becs...what do you rate Tom Curry as a player

Dec 28, 2020, 09:38

Watched the Calcutta Cup (Eng/Scot) game and this youngster impressed me. There is another Curry in Sale/Shark side, are they related?

Also a non rugby subject...what is Cheshire like to live in??

If we ever consider England to immigrate to this seems the best place for us, rural atmosphere and lots of space...weather does worry us as long as it not too cold but even that we can take (nothing wrong with log fires on a cold evening8-))  we don't like cities or suburbia.

Dec 28, 2020, 10:06

Seb

I have been following the career of this youngster for a while now.   He really impressed me was his high work rate.   In the WC he made two mistakes in the final game - but he was a key player for the English,  

I like the story about him sitting in  the change room when Faf walked in and hung his gold medal over his shoulder,   Faf said he only wanted to show him the medal.   At the medal ceremony all the English players took their silver medals off - but Curry did not - showing sportmenship - which the rest of the team lacked. 

Dec 28, 2020, 15:22

The other Curry is his twin brother

Good players

Dec 28, 2020, 17:48

Seb, as Saffex rightly says, Ben Curry is Tom’s twin brother. 

They are both very good players....we have an influx of very decent backrowers at present. 

Cheshire is lovely in many places. There are rural areas and more built up areas but it’s largely full of footballers and their WAGS ! The house prices in certain areas reflect this ! 

Dec 28, 2020, 18:03

Thank you Becs

"but it’s largely full of footballers and their WAGS ! The house prices in certain areas reflect this ! "

Curry brothers were from Cheshire...is not rugby popular there, I suppose not as Manchester and Liverpool are just further south:D

Dec 28, 2020, 18:53

Rugby isn’t anywhere near as popular as football in the North. Rugby League is the go to sport for Rugby fans in those areas. 

Ben Curry was actually selected to play for England and got injured; Tom was selected instead and the poor chap hasn’t had a look-in since ! 

Dec 28, 2020, 19:24

becs

Both Curry brothers are toughies and I haver a suspicion the one will replace Vulipola at 8 pretty soon.  I think that Jones actually prefers Tom at no 8 anyway - so his present position is likely to go to his brother.     

Dec 28, 2020, 20:58

Mike, I don’t rate Vunipola these days at all and would be happy to see someone else in his place. 

The Curry twins are both tough, quick and seem to have boundless energy. 

Dec 28, 2020, 21:30

You know, Becs, Mike and Saf...I have a feeling from just a little thing, which I believe is true about Tom being the only player that accepted his place with the silver shows indeed a very strong character...rare today. I've seen in men  who are disadvantaged, not the biggest in size, not have the richest back ups in family not the best school but simply character. Those are guys that you want whether it is on the beaches of Normandy in WW2, on a rugby or cricket field, or just an individual representative of a game like golf. I think of Gary Player, Siya Kolisi, Faff De Klerk, Errol Tobias, Tommy Bedford and Keith Oxlee (size), François Pienaar, Tommy Gentles, Baby Jake, Roberto Duran, Rocky Marciano...the list goes on.

Character starts with "small" things but really in truth they certainly are not small but reveal what's inside of you in the character department than the rest.

If Tom did that at 22, he's only 23 now...shows despite his age he is actually far more advanced in maturity and character developement.

I believe if England has a problem with playing the wrong twin...there are better things to come from Tom.

Look at this

https://youtu.be/FWUImLp7xcc

Dec 28, 2020, 21:38

No I think Tom Curry is an excellent player. He’s only young so will certainly grow into the game and be even more influential in the years to come. 

Dec 28, 2020, 22:07

Actually, a better option at 8 is Sam Simmonds of Exeter. He’s really exceptional. 

Dec 29, 2020, 01:37

Dombrandt is the best option at 8 for England

Dec 29, 2020, 02:10

Dombrandt is a good option but I still go for Simmonds 

Dec 29, 2020, 08:39

Dave 

Is Dombrandt the guy who plays for Bristol?   Sounds like he is actually from German ancestry. 

Dec 29, 2020, 15:05

Dombrandt plays for Quins 

Dec 29, 2020, 17:07

becs

Thanks becs - is he as dim as his surname suggest?   "Dom" means dumb and "Brandt" relates to fire,   Conbuined it means Dumb-fire,/   LOL  

Dec 29, 2020, 18:15

Mike.....I can’t vouch for his off-field intellect but his rugby brain is a pretty good one ! :) 

Dec 29, 2020, 20:47

Dombrandt over Simmonds any day - far more fire power

Dec 29, 2020, 22:03

I disagree this time, Saffex. 

Dec 29, 2020, 23:16

Which player is more physical of the two?

Dec 29, 2020, 23:30

Which player is European Player of the Season and scored more Tries than anyone else last Season ?

I rate Dombrandt highly, but rate Simmonds higher. 

Dec 29, 2020, 23:57

He was good but certainly not player of the season

The guy has no physical impact as an 8 would be totally blown away at test level

At 26 and 102kg it would be like selecting Kwagga Smith at 8 ahead of Vermeulen

Dombrandt is 23 and 120kg and runs through defenders at will

Dec 30, 2020, 00:07

Dombrandt didn’t even last the match at the weekend, he was subbed just after half time. 

Yes he’s physical but I still choose Simmonds. 

Dec 30, 2020, 00:18

There is a reason aged 26 Eddie has not selected him

Dec 30, 2020, 01:01

Yep, he’s a stubborn old coot. 

Dec 30, 2020, 01:13

Nope - 102kg number 8’s don’t work at test level

Dec 30, 2020, 01:19

Nope, he’s stubborn. 

The press, commentators and lots of fans can’t all be wrong.

Dec 30, 2020, 01:25

Nope he is spot on - they don’t work in the modern game at test level

Dec 30, 2020, 01:52

He should give him a try and let him prove himself. 

You need to Log in to reply.