Beenkop here goes - overseas based Super rugby sides

Forum » Rugby » Beenkop here goes - overseas based Super rugby sides

Mar 17, 2020, 21:28

This is what we are missing out on:

A

15. Willie 14. Kolbe 13. Jessie Kriel 12. de Allende 11. Duhan v d Merwe 10. Pollard 9. Faf 1. Pierre Schoeman 2. Marx 3. Marcel vd Merwe 4. Etzebeth 5. Lood 6. Jaco Kriel 7. Jacques du Plessis 8. Dan du Preez

B

15. Combrink 14. Ismiel 13. Rohan Janse v Rensburg 12. Serfontein 11. Kobus v Wyk 10. Robert du Preez 9. Reinach 1. Kebble 2. Aker vd Merwe 3. Koch 4. Jason Jenkins 5. RG Snyman 6. Kwagga 7. JL du Preez 8. Marcel Coetzee

C

15. Goosen 14. Rhule 13. EW Viljoen 12. Vorster 11. Jordaan 10. Jaco vd Walt 9. Groom 1. Coenie 2. Marais 3. Maks v Dyk 4. Ruan Botha 5. Mostert 6. Carr 7. Ackerman 8. Arno Botha

D

15. Taute 14. Henry Immelman 13. Frans Venter 12. Frans Steyn 11. Tyler Fisher 10. Garth April 9. Hougaard 1. Conrad v Vuuren 2. Bismark 3. Jannes Jonker 4. Koeklenberg 5. Lewies 6. Cyle Brink 7. Kirsten 8. Liebenberg

Mar 17, 2020, 22:32

Thanks Dave a very informative list. I feel confident there are at least 40 players there who could strengthen our 4 Super franchises. 

Redrooi that is 10 players per franchise for your information.

This is very significant. 

Mar 18, 2020, 00:35

You can add the likes of

Scrum half - James Hall,

Flyhalf- Josh Stander,

Props - Hencus v Wyk, Ruan Dreyer

Locks - Lourens Erasmus, David Ribbans, Eli Snyman, Stassen, Nico Janse v Rensburg, Etienne Oosthuizen

Loosies - Elstadt, Jean Cook, Jacques Vermeulen, Cloete, Paul Schoeman, Philip vd Walt and Kobus v Dyk

Mar 18, 2020, 10:33

Very good list David.

And i'm sure we'd be able to make another one or two teams if we tried.

I know of some really good expats playing in Italy and in the UK that would do very well at a Super Rugby level.

Mar 18, 2020, 11:18

What is certain is we could field 4 top notch Super Rugby sides and two very good Pro 14 teams. 

The decline in the value of the Rand makes an overseas contract more tempting than ever. 

More players will go overseas and building a cup winning side will become virtually impossible. 

Mar 18, 2020, 11:54

It’s testament to the Sharks and Stormers as to how well they have done so far. They have clearly retained well, recruited wisely and had good youthful depth.

At the other end of the spectrum we have the Bulls and Lions having failed in the above and feeling the pinch

Mar 18, 2020, 13:11

Saffex those injuries you mentioned about ends our chances this season.

Mar 18, 2020, 13:33

Yeah the Stormers will now be stretched especially considering the loss of Jantjies and Kitshoff.

Their replacements are shit

At least with PSDT you have the impressive Wiese as cover, he should fill that gap adequately but we can’t say the same for 1 and 9.

They should consider moving Wilco or Malherbe to loosehead temporarily

Mar 18, 2020, 14:58

I'll add a few names here of players who would do well at Super Rugby level who we may not have heard of...
Sebastian de Chaves - London Irish - England
Jordan Mills - Genova - Italy

Feel free to add some names or references.

Mar 18, 2020, 15:44

de Chaves is the son of one of Rooinecks mates

Mar 18, 2020, 16:10

Not quite, he was in the same class as my son at school and they're still good mates to this day. I've known Sebastian since he was about 6 years old and I was his soccer coach. A really nice kid who had some bad luck and a few injuries in his rugby career.

Mar 18, 2020, 17:14

Dave this is a real shocker to see the number of talented SA players plying their skills on foreign soil.

Sadly, is it due to political interference in sport plus financial rewards after the game turned professional.

But whatever the reason it is shocking and I would suggest that it will only escalate in the years ahead.

Mar 18, 2020, 18:13

I was close Rooi!!!

AJH yes very very sad - not to mention the 30 odd school boys signed by French clubs while they were still at school.

There was a survey conducted on players that have left and it was a combination of all the obvious that lead to their exits

Financial, political and security

You need to Log in to reply.