Bismarck du Plessis signs new deal with Montpellier

Forum » Rugby » Bismarck du Plessis signs new deal with Montpellier

May 21, 2020, 09:21

The following from News24:-


"Former Springbok hooker Bismarck du Plessis has signed a new two-year deal with French Top 14 side Montpellier.


Du Plessis, who will turn 36 on Friday, has committed his services to the club until June 2022.

Du Plessis joined the French giants in 2015 along with his brother, and fellow front-ranker, Jannie.

The pair were World Cup winners in 2007.

In 90 matches for the club, Du Plessis has scored 26 tries.

Montpellier were in eighth place in the Top 14 table when the season ended early due to the coronavirus.

Educated at Grey College, Du Plessis went on to play 131 Super Rugby matches for the Sharks and 79 Tests for the Springboks, the last of which came against Argentina in the bronze medal playoff match during the 2015 Rugby World Cup at London's Olympic Stadium."


For me Bismarck was the best Hooker we had since 1992 in the period 2007 to 2014,   He started to go sour in 2014 and in the WC in 2015,   Since then at Montpellier he was a regular in the staring line-up when not injured, but in the few games I saw of Montpellier over the last year he either did not play or was on the bench.   However, Montpellier will have reasons to extend the contract for two years - but it is not clear whether he is there as a back-up or adviser iro Tight 5 play.      

May 22, 2020, 00:26

Bismarck played his best rugby in the first half of 2015. That was the very peak of his ability. That said, he was solid in the WC. Despite all of what I have said about him, he was indeed a warrior in that WC and had a monstrous and effective test against Wales. His 2013 was his next best season. He was never the best in SA until parts of 2015. I'm willing to accept alternate views in 2013, that was closer. Best of all time? Not a chance. 

May 22, 2020, 01:34

His best game was against the All Blacks in New Zealand in 2013. It might even be the same game he was sent off. 

May 22, 2020, 02:44

He didn't always live up to his reputation at the breakdown, but was acutally quite good there throughout 2013. We had NZ on the ropes at the breakdown and Bissie played his part there. He was very prominent in that test. The initial yellow was a farce, the second yellow was down to sloppy arm positioning in contact. The ref clearly had an agenda, but Bissie made it all too easy with that leading elbow. 

May 22, 2020, 04:43

His ,most notable contribution in the 2015 WC was his four penalties in the Japan Disaster, which helped  Japan in winning the game.   By 2015 Bismarck was over the hill performance wise and Meyer was too stupid to realize it.    

May 22, 2020, 11:55

Most notable contribution? How about standing up to the Welsh with a busted left hand? You are so shortsighted. If only you were a student of the game, or a Bok fan, you'd know better. You never do, because you are neither. I'm not even a Bismarck fan and I can credit him here. You are such a sham of a Bok fan that you would drag his reputation through the mud just to take a cheap shot. 

May 22, 2020, 14:29

No

I looked at all the games and saw preciously little in performance.   Playing with a busted hand probably weakened his already weak performances. 

There is one huge difference between you and most real rugby lovers.    In your mind you dream up that certain things happening will result in something good and then claims it did happen.   That is why what you come up on site is totally irrational,  Bismarck was average in the Wales game - most likely too little to make a significant contribution to the team effort,

Your comments on being a student of the game is just comical - it is unbelievable that you can claim even remote knowledge as to performance assessments of players and coaches.  The total disregard of facts make your contributions the funniest things on site - always good for a laugh, 

Still thinking that Meyer and Erasmus are better coaches than Erasmus, Dimness?          

May 22, 2020, 17:19

I stated before it was the commercial image rights that Du Toit was unhappy about,  He probably got his way about it and for the rest he accepted the 45%  pay cut  that likely still leaves him with an income in the vicinity of a R1 million a year,   Bearing in mind the image rate income he will definitely not starve,    

 
You need to Log in to reply.
Back to top