Blood and Glory....the origins of the Springbok

Forum » Rugby » Blood and Glory....the origins of the Springbok

Jul 12, 2020, 06:48

I came across this movie entirely by chance....a rugby match between the Boer prisoners and their guards on St Helena. Probably  about as  historically inaccurate as Invictus .....but great fun on another Covid evening. And for once the Aussies aren’t the good guys in the Boer War as they were depicted in Breaker Morant.

I won’t give away the plot, but the traditional Springbok game plays a role.

Jul 12, 2020, 08:43

It looks like the same type of plot/ story line as depicted in "Arende"...an old SABC TV series...worth the watch too.

Jul 12, 2020, 16:01

Glory
Blood and Glory - International Poster.jpg

Jul 12, 2020, 17:45

Some interesting references here, I'll be sure to follow them up! 

Jul 13, 2020, 10:46

https://uploadgig.com/file/download/09D4dE4d7ddefF49/Blood.and.Glory.2018.V2.HDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO.avi

Jul 15, 2020, 23:26

I watched a good SA movie the other night on Sky - Beyond the River - true story about the Duzi canoe marathon

Jul 16, 2020, 03:44

The fact is there were rugby games played in the St Helena between the POW's and the English guards,   That I heard as a small kid from my grandfather - who had a number of family members who were prisoners of war.   A large number of Cape Colony Afrikaners joined up so I think the old people knew what was in fact happening,

My Grandmother was a cousin of General Dan Pienaar - the Commander of the SA troops in North Africa in WW2.   One of the the brothers of her father moved to the Free State and farmed there  before the Anglo Boer War,  He became a "Kommandant" and was on Commando when the English took his wife and 8 children to the Concentration Camp in Pietermaritzburg.   Only Dan and one of his sisters  survived - so my grandparents hated the English with a vengeance for the rest of their life - and so diod General Pienaar,   

According to my Grandfather it was not very friendly games the Boers played to get revenge.   One would assume that in the movie the story was dramatized,  but the fact is there were games played both in St Helena and the then Ceylon.     

You need to Log in to reply.