Boan Venter

Forum » Rugby » Boan Venter

Feb 25, 2021, 20:53

It was not that long ago that I was singing the praises of this young impressive prop from the Cheetahs only to find out that Edinburgh have already snapped him up.

Fuck is there no stopping the exodus of our players?

Ivan v Zyl who had a great season for the Bulls has packed his bags for the Tigers I think

It’s all getting out of hand. The young impressive players are leaving and we are left having to sign the washed up has beens returning after lucrative contracts up north

Feb 26, 2021, 00:08

Ivan van Zyl has joined Sarries, Saffex. 

Feb 26, 2021, 10:32

One of the big reasons one loses interest. 

The NH  twits can't okay rugby so have to raid our resources a the time. With the pound at R21 they buy what they can't produce themselves. 

So we forever field severely depleted teams. As soon as a pkayer makes his mark he is off overseas. 

GLAD to ou Dave is getting a grasp of the problem. 

Mar 01, 2021, 18:02

Well, I think the IRB needs to bring in a law that all  clubs signing on foreign players should pay their home nation / union a percentage. 

Given that all of the investment by the home union to build and invest in  their players  only for them to be snapped out as the other nations with more money are to lazy to actually invest in youth structures. 

Hit them in the pocket, maybe they will start  developing their own home grown talent and invest  locally rather than raid the southern hemisphere. 

Just a side note, I think Fiji and the rest of the pacific island nations would be rolling in it now. 

I understand a player should be able to make the most of their short careers. 

Mar 01, 2021, 20:39

We have enough locally grown players, Kingcorn. For some reason, there is a stupid idea that our players are less capable than those from the SH. This is completely untrue and the sooner it’s stopped, the better. 

Mar 01, 2021, 21:09

It's got less to do with capability, than rather adding some international flavor to the mix...an exotic attraction of sorts...natural human nature...

Mar 01, 2021, 22:15

Exotic attraction ?? Are you writing books of a certain nature now, Draad ?! ;) 

Mar 01, 2021, 22:22

I have read that coaches like having SA players in their squads as many come from religious and conservative backgrounds so are diligent, respectful and very hard working

They sound boring to me :)

Mar 01, 2021, 22:59

I agree with you, Saffex ;) 

Mar 02, 2021, 17:23

Professional sport has no loyalty and has always been about the players getting the most bucks for their effort.

If you had the talents to play sport today would you play for "Rand's" or "Euros, Pounds or Yen". Professional sport is a business venture for players to get the best deal they can for the skills they have acquired.

Simple as in real everyday life, get the most you can while you still have the skills.

Winning teams draw crowds, fill the grounds and earn money from TV coverage irrespective if all players are foreign or not.

Simple if you do not like foreign players in your teams don't watch, support or attend games.

If teams only fielded local born players and kept losing you would be beside yourselves and what would you do then.

Rugby Union in Australia would be lost without the Islanders to bolster the teams.

Mar 02, 2021, 18:20

I have no major issue with the players leaving as it’s a no brainer leaving to play for better financial reward

The issue I have is with some these players ending up playing for their adopted countries.

This issue can be easily overcome by our coaching staff making sure they keep tabs on the performances of these players based abroad and making sure they cap the worthy ones which is not happening at the moment

There is no way Duan vd Merwe, Paul Willemse and Ollie Kebble should have slipped the net

Thankfully the qualification period to qualify to play for your adopted country has been extended from 3 to 5 years.

Rassie has meant to have employed Jones to keep an eye on foreign based players - clearly Jones is useless at his job given Duan vd Merwe has just recently been capped by Scotland

Sack the twit and give me the job

You need to Log in to reply.