Bok number 10 Conundrum

Forum » Rugby » Bok number 10 Conundrum

Jan 16, 2023, 12:26

The papers are lit up with Pollards name after getting through a full match and helping Leicester win away from home in France. I did see much of Pollard in the highlights to determine whether he had a great game or if it was just a poor French side. 

None of the other Franchises are playing the boks preferred 10 in their current position. 

As it stands

Goosen: Had a few poor games at 10 and has been shifted to fullback or to the bench. Not sure when he will get a decent run at 10. 

Willemse: The boks preferred back up 10 and played a number of games for the boks at 10 has been playing at 12 and 15 for the stormers all season. Is yet to come on as a 10. We saw this weekend that Sacha were given the reighns. It shows that the Stormer don't rate him as a 10 and prefer to have him at 15 and maybe 12. 

Libbok: Nailed down the 10 jersey at the stormers. Still making some errors, but he is instrumental in how the Stormers play and attack. His defence is okay. 

Jantjies: No idea where he has gone too and I think his time is up for the boks. 

Lombardi / Hendrikse: not taking much note with these two players as they seem to be in a very week team and not dictating the matches

Bosch: The forgotten bok 10. It is hard to believe he is only 24 and have been around for ages. However, the Sharks have turned a corner now that he is back to full fitness. Very talented 10 but one always feels that he is one tackle away from collapsing or losing his head in a crucial game. He is super talented, long ranging kicks, good of the tee, fantastic speed and super quick in attack. Passing is good, defence is a big question mark and whether he can physical. 

I think, right now the boks should opt for Libbok, Pollard and Willemse. 

I like Goosen before his knee injury and he would have been my preferred started. Can play a bunch of positions too, but I'm worried about both Pollard and Goosen and whether they can make the World Cup or would be the form picks. 

Willemse hasn't played 10 at all for his franchise. That mantle is going to Sacha by the looks of it. 

Jan 16, 2023, 13:17

For the WC I'd take Pollard and Libbok to deputise. 

Pollard was solid, a good touch on an inside ball for one of the tries and good off the tee.

Manie is the upgraded chipped version on Elton. Vision and skills with some pace to add and his time at FB makes his positioning excellent.

Jan 16, 2023, 15:30

Pollard was very good which was good to see

Pollard to start with Libbok as back up and Willemse to cover if need be

Hendrikse and Sacha for the future

Jan 16, 2023, 17:04

We had  dilemma when it came to flyhalf play since 2012.   Morne was only good for kicking at goal - for the rest he was useless.    Goosen showed a lot of flair in the game against the Aussies in 2012     By 2014 Morne lost the plot totally and then Pollard was brought in.   He was in and out of the Springbok starting line-up since Meyer could not make up his mind about whether he prefered  Lambie or Pollard at flyhalf.    It was only after the 2015 Japan disaster that Pollard was the starting flyhalf.   His usage was limited by a game plan that limited backline attacking play and Pollard was never used for attacking rugby.

In the whole period of Coetzee coaching  Pollard never played for the Springboks until 2018.   In 2016 and 2017 Jantjies and Lambie were the main flyhalfs - but even the disastrous Morne was brought in for two tests.  In 2018 Erasmus played  Robert du Preez in at flyhalf - but he was a disaster in the test against Wales and he vanished from site.   

In 2018 and 2019 Pollard was the main flyhalf - with Jantjies also getting a few tests.   Under Erasmus Pollard developed into a top flyhalf - he was asked about what game he would like to play and the plan he submitted was discussed by the fellow players and approved.   Pollard was a star in the 2019 RC and WC series,   Unfortnately he was hampered by injuries in 2021 and 2022 - the injury absences effected his performances.     So we found ourselves in a problem scenario similar to the one plaguing  us for more than a decade.   With proper coaching and a positive approach towards the game Pollard still is the number 1 flyhalf in SA.    Willemse was tried at flyhalf and for a variety of reasons moved to center and full back.    The main problem with Wilemser is his goal kicking is not good enough.

Jantjies is definitely a poor performer at present and I do not think he is an acceptable flyhalf  anymore.   I would go along with Dave's comments - the only present options are Pollard, Goosen and Willemse.                                

Jan 16, 2023, 18:01

Bullshit we don’t and have not had a dilemma at flyhalf

Jan 16, 2023, 19:31

Michael, Michael, Michael... Pollard played 7 tests under Coetzee in 2017. Are you deliberating making these errors; be thou a trøll? And, a post about this season's selections at 10 and you take us back to 2012, was that necessary? I would have assumed that yesterday's snotklap would have you laying low today, or for the foreseeable future. Maybe you should make another account after this embarrassment. You could call it Triple Take, after your trademark triple postings :D

Jan 16, 2023, 20:50

Pollard to start, Libbok as the deputy and Willemse/Rohan/Esterhozen to replace Dud Toit at center.

Jan 16, 2023, 21:50

Another sick comment from Mozart - Du Toit at center LMAO

Jan 16, 2023, 22:00

Sorry Dud Toit is the wing….Dud Allende is the supposed centre.

Jan 16, 2023, 23:23

De Allende is the best 12 in the game

Selected in 3 world sides of the year making you ignorant fools names more mud than they already are

Keep paddling boys - the joke is on you

Jan 17, 2023, 02:40

Mozart

You have no idea about the level of BS you are spreading on site.   

You need to Log in to reply.