Boks Welcome Georgia for Warm-Up Series

Forum » Rugby » Boks Welcome Georgia for Warm-Up Series

May 10, 2021, 14:21

So, we finally have some dates for a return to action for the World Champions as Georgia make their first ever tour of Soutb Africa in a two test series. The games will take place on the 2nd or 9th of July. 

May 10, 2021, 15:36

Good news...Georgians are good scrummagers and will be ideal for the Boks preparation.

Incidentally they are not pushovers they nearly drew with Wales, pre-world cup 2019 in a match that went nearly ten minutes over time when they threatened Wales on the Welsh try line for those 10 minutes...the ref kept them at bay with resets during that period. It was November 2017 at Principality Park.

Autumn international: Wales 13-6 Georgia - BBC Sport

I follow Georgian rugby. They are getting better and better and would be a fairly strong side if they could improve their backline play...they produced one of the greatest forwards of all time Mamuka Gorgodze.

May 10, 2021, 19:21

I've seen Georgia pull off some very slick backline play. One of those tier two nations who have advanced dramatically in their structures. I hope the past year hasn't set back their development. The Boks need a good test. Having a second bite at the apple could be interesting, something second tier nations seldom get. 

May 11, 2021, 08:16

They do have one really good centre however,Giorgi Kveseladze . He's only 23 and plays for Gloucester..https://youtu.be/Dsh-lY0-1RQ

To speculate:

A team comprising of Lelos forwards and Brave Blossoms backline, coached by Eddie Jones would almost be unbeatable...almost a perfect fit don't you think?

I support the Boks but I think they make a mistake if they take the obvious strategy of physical dominance of which they are known for. Gatland's strategy probably will be to use the unexpected...play the fast game...maybe at least this is the element of surprise tactics that work at times. I certainly don't expect the Lions to take the Bokke on at their own game...that's not an option. I think the Lions pack is able to hold them but not dominate.

You need to Log in to reply.