Breaking News - Morne Steyn to return to Northern Bulls for SuperRugby

Forum » Rugby » Breaking News - Morne Steyn to return to Northern Bulls for SuperRugby

May 12, 2019, 12:42

Flyhalf Morné Steyn wants to return to Pretoria to end his playing career with the Vodacom Bulls.

Steyn played 124 Vodacom Super Rugby games for the Bulls and made 95 appearances for the Blue Bulls before joining French club Stade Fran?ais in 2013. The 34-year-old had to settle at fullback in recent months after the club signed Argentine Nicolás Sánchez to back up Frenchman Jules Plisson at flyhalf.

According to Rapport, Steyn’s agent has reached out to the Bulls about a possible return to Loftus for Steyn, with Bulls CEO Alfons Meyer confirming the interest is mutual but that nothing is concrete yet.

They approached us, but there is no official offer on the table. We have to talk a couple of things over, but a lot can happen before such a move becomes a reality,’ Meyer told Rapport.

-------------

Most of the donkey coaches in SA admire Morne Steyn because he can implement their aimless kicking game plan. 

May 12, 2019, 14:51

I wish Morne luck for the future - but is his presence at the Bulls not going to be counter-productive?   I believe he was a Meyer favourite - but then Meyer believes  that a flyhalf is there to kick the shit out of balls. 

May 12, 2019, 14:57

Cant see why Bulls need Morne. Quality flyhalf to be sure but time to move on. Ou maaaaikie has always been a bit lost when it comes to Morne. Hvs views are so extreme they smack of bias?

May 12, 2019, 15:46

My views are factual after watching Steyn for  many years,     

May 12, 2019, 15:50

Thankfully Rassie will not consider him for the World Cup. If Alister Coetzee or Meyer were the coaches- we could have seen Morne get a world cup call up. 

May 12, 2019, 21:13

Um

Jut a question.

Why the Northern Bulls?

May 12, 2019, 21:43

Because they were the ones that contacted him..... :pouty:

May 12, 2019, 22:11

If he is used as a back up and a teacher for the young guys then ok but if they see him as a starter then they are idiots.

Got to blood the new giys  no future in using him as your first choice.

Experience is valuable  but not at the expense of the young guys

May 12, 2019, 22:15

Morne's pinnacle moment is when he handed off Retallack. 

It was one in a million- Retallack probably just lost his balance - but it looked good. :)

May 13, 2019, 08:13

Well ... with the way Pollard played over the weekend, maybe Morne would be a step up for them.

They should maybe put him on standby for Bok duty.

May 13, 2019, 09:35

Hahaha ha retard luck bumped off by Morne. A classic. :D

May 13, 2019, 09:36

Ou maaaikie will find excuses for retard luck no doubt. 

May 13, 2019, 12:24

Meyer has apparently been playing him at fullback, what a joke. 

PDivvy also played Morne at fullback. 

Pote Human

May 13, 2019, 12:31

Meyer ... playing him at full back? ... but, but, but ... isn't Meyer a rugby genius ... he should know what he's doing then, right Mozart?

Maybe it dawned on him that he sucks at 10, so why not give him a bash at 15. See how he goes.

LOL!!!

May 13, 2019, 15:56

Bring back Maak Niks!

May 13, 2019, 16:24

Bring back neither - Morne should never have been a Springbok flyhalf  and Boshoff is not up to standard either,    

May 13, 2019, 16:38

The flyhalf who beat the Lions and won the 2009 TN shouldn't have been a Springbok. But Swiel should.....Tokkie the clown.

May 13, 2019, 16:59

By converting a few kicks at goal - all that he ever was good at - does not even ermotely made him an acceptable test flyhalf..   A flop left out of the Springboks in 2012 once and dropped altogether from the squad twice in 2014,

His Braai Pal Meyer got him into the WC squad for a nice holiday in the UK and when he was brought ack for two tests by Coetzee he was a total disaster. 

Morne will always be remembered for regular performance disasters on test level.    

May 13, 2019, 18:24

When I first saw the post by Snark, I immediately thought Snarkie was trying to give poor ol' Maaik a heart problem, nevertheless it's hard to believe that the coaches of Bulls can be so thick and impaired...really quite pathetic and sad, not even funny.

May 13, 2019, 20:06

Wrong Tokkie....I doubt the return at this stage is a good move.....but when Steyn started at 10 for the Boks we won 69% of our games and were generally ranked 2 in the world.

Now why is that? Because his style and the resources......great kick chasers and great centres who could run off his superb distribution.....were perfectly balanced.

Catch a wake up....success is not an accident.

You need to Log in to reply.