Brit Irish Lions tour changed to Springbok tour.

Forum » Rugby » Brit Irish Lions tour changed to Springbok tour.

Feb 27, 2021, 10:21

Instead of them coming here, we are going there? Is this true or just a rumor or suggestion...why would this be less risky to infections of virus?

If it does occur it will be a unique competition.

Feb 27, 2021, 12:22

It’s the front runner in terms of options. I think the final decision is being made at the end of March

It’s safer because the whole of the UK will have been vaccinated by then

If it is to take place in the UK, they should make it a proper Lions tour. They should fly out the Lions, Cheetahs, WP, Bulls and Sharks for a week at a time to play midweek games thereby enabling the Lions to have a full sized touring squad. Plus the Bok squad should be large enough to accommodate an A side to play the Lions to.

Four tests against the Lions is proposed - London, Dublin, Cardiff and Edinburgh. You could for instance fly the Sharks out to Edinburgh the week before to play the dirt tracker Lions on the Wednesday before the test on Saturday and so on.

Do it properly and split the takings with the SA unions involved

Feb 27, 2021, 22:24

Australia still want to host the Tour, however the preferred option seems to be playing in Britain. 

They’ve changed their minds again though and have offered up Twickenham, Wembley and Cardiff as the options......

Feb 28, 2021, 11:27

There are enough Saffas playing in Ireland and the UK to combine with the touring Bok squad for the midweek and practice matches...but such a tour will also have a bonding effect on the Bok side...should make for some good test matches.

Feb 28, 2021, 12:56

Draad, the clubs would not release the SA players based in the UK

My idea is far better - send our domestic sides out for a week like some of them used to do pre the Super Rugby season as a warm up exercise

Feb 28, 2021, 17:43

It seems they’re looking at basing the Lions on Jersey.....

Mar 04, 2021, 01:15

Looking likely there will be a decision by the end of this week. 

The preferred option still seems to be a home Tour, with matches against SA seconds,  the Baabaa’s, Japan and America in the midweeks. 

Tests would be played in Cardiff, Murrayfield, Dublin and Twickenham. 

Mar 04, 2021, 12:59

Oaks there is nothing a lion cub team fears more than coming to South Africa. Correct me if I am wrong but have they won more than 1 test series? 

The hard fields, hard forwards of the Boks and hard tackles turn their legs to jelly. The roar becomes a high pitched squeak!!! :D

Covid has been used as an excuse for so many things and now you can add this to the list. Gates could be up to his eugenicist activities again if the Zambian President is telling the truth. You will recall gates and his polio vaccine antics in South Africa that they say left children dead and paralyzed etc.

Will post that a Zambian leader has claimed which is going viral in Africa. See Beeno's esteemed Trumpet.

Many experts are raising concerns about these vaccinations. last I heard half the health care workers in the USA and 30% of the Military don't want it. Of course you wont hear the Communist News Network mention anything dangerous about the vaccinations.

No I will not be taking the vaccine any time soon. The effects, whatever they may be, are going to come out over the next few years and longer. 

Grow a pair Lions and face the world Champions in Africa. Hahahahahahahahaha any excuse will do eh lion cubs!

Mar 04, 2021, 13:55

It looks like they will pretty much be playing in the UK. Not bad, but for the first time the British Lions will have home advantage and no grueling tour matches. 

I don't agree with your idea Saffex, so to  fly out 6 teams with squads of 26 for one game. Probably be better to combine the rainbow cup with the tour matches and have all of the SA teams based in the UK, followed by one of matches against the lions too before assembling for the final game. 

There should be an SA A vs Lions before the game kicks off. 

But I would rather have a bigger bog squad that actually plays against other teams to warm up. 

Perhaps, 3 mid week games plus 3 Weekend games which should give the boks ample of time to be prepared and ready

Mar 04, 2021, 14:04

Oaks the SARU will fold like snowflakes. They are after increased revenue methinks.

Mar 04, 2021, 15:51

Kingcorn, the plan, as I said above, is to play SA A, Japan, America and the BaaBaa’s. 

Mar 04, 2021, 19:24

Maybe it should be renamed to the South Africa World Champions Tour to UK. 

A bit like a victory lap after winning the World Cup for theatrical purposes, and leading the IRB ratings for some time now

Mar 04, 2021, 23:17

This is how I’d arrange the Lions series in the UK

Wednesday vs Cheetahs (London)

Saturday vs SA A (Twichenham)

Wednesday vs Lions (SA) (Cardiff)

Saturday 1st Test (Cardiff)

Wednesday vs Stormers (Edinburgh)

Saturday 2nd Test (Edinburgh)

Wednesday vs Sharks (Dublin)

Saturday 3rd Test (Dublin)

Wednesday vs Bulls (Twickenham)

Saturday 4th Test (Twickenham)

The SA provincial sides only need to come out for a week

The Bok squad should be large enough to include the A side

Perfect Lions series given the circumstances

Mar 05, 2021, 08:50

Those fixtures will obviously be much better, but I don't see them going for it during Covid...let's hope the SA- A and the Baba sides rock.

Mar 09, 2021, 10:08

Just came across an article that is confirming the Springbok tour. Although, not sure how easy it would be to get tickets. 

But I like Saffex list as it would be great that our home unions can take a slice of the profits. 

But I also wonder why they don't postpone it by a year? 

I know rugby in general is desperate for money. 

But I'm just concerned the boks won't have enough time together. 

Although, we could pull a decent team together from just European based players alone which I shared a while back. 

Mar 09, 2021, 10:08

Just came across an article that is confirming the Springbok tour. Although, not sure how easy it would be to get tickets. 

But I like Saffex list as it would be great that our home unions can take a slice of the profits. 

But I also wonder why they don't postpone it by a year? 

I know rugby in general is desperate for money. 

But I'm just concerned the boks won't have enough time together. 

Although, we could pull a decent team together from just European based players alone which I shared a while back. 

Mar 09, 2021, 10:47

The issue with playing it next year is that other fixtures would have to be cancelled etc to fit the Lions tour in

Personally I’d say fuck those other fixtures, cancel them and have the Lions tour next year

Mar 09, 2021, 16:07

No thanks, since Ireland have a 3 match tour too New Zealand, I'd take that over a Lions tour anytime. Same if it was a 3 match tour to South Africa or Australia.

Mar 09, 2021, 18:34

Kingcorn, no decisions have been made on where the Tour will be played yet. The Govt are still discussing if they will underwrite the whole thing. 

If it were to be played in SA, no spectators would be allowed, they’ve already said that. 

Mar 09, 2021, 19:30

"If it were to be played in SA, no spectators would be allowed, they’ve already said that. "

That's been par for the course for a year now...I don't see it happening in South Africa...smart money should be on a UK/Irish host.

You need to Log in to reply.