Burger Odendaal

Forum » Rugby » Burger Odendaal

May 04, 2019, 10:24

Why not?

He has been a solid all rounder for the Bulls in 2019.
I feel that he deserves a look in.

He is very physical, he loves smashing ball carriers to the ground... but his rarest quality is his perception of space, something which JK nor DDA have.

I'd be very happy to give him a run in the Bok team at the expense of either of the aforementioned mullets.

Personally, and I know i will cop some heat for saying this, i'd prefer Kriel as a backup on the wing behing Dyantyi and Nkosi.

DDA can clean the change room for all i care.

May 04, 2019, 10:50

He has no test experience and is a bog standard player, rather use Esterhuizen or Serfontein at 12 with Am at 13. Kriel had been getting into some shape of form at 13, he could be a backup there. 

May 04, 2019, 11:05

Would be a pity if Burger was our best. He is okay but will hardly give you an edge at test level. 

May 06, 2019, 08:20

Am at 13 ... ???

LMAO!!!!!!

What next ... Kolisi at 6 ...and as captain??

May 06, 2019, 11:21

He knows how to defend, effects turnovers and is generally a smart player. Kriel has the hardware but not the software, in a way he's similar to Spies, I'd have him as backup as he's the next best. And that's it, we have no one at the current moment. 

May 06, 2019, 11:36

There was a moment however fleeting when I thought Odendaal could be our savior. Well, not anymore, his game has gone backward, he plays the position like a typical SAFFA centre by repeatedly crash balling. He brings nothing to the table other than being bog ordinary.

May 06, 2019, 13:22

Damien Willemse at12 and a wing and a prayer at 13.

May 06, 2019, 14:06

What we lack in our centres is speed....sure there are other things as well like eg brain cells but that aside the one thing about Willemse is that he has natural speed......you might be onto something here, Moz.

May 06, 2019, 14:18

Burger Odendaal had a solid game sometimes I think 2016 and was immediately mentioned by some members as the inside center choice -  yet he never got selected.

As to his games this year he was out for part of the series and when he actually played he was not really effective in both attack and defense.   He is a very solid player on Super Rugby - taking a step up is I believe beyond his capacity.    

May 07, 2019, 08:00

Shezza ... there was a time when you would come up with easily the best selections on this board ... imo.

What happened?

Have you befriended SharkShit recently?

May 08, 2019, 22:09

Odendaal has always been a good 12, tends to take contact more than he used to which is disappointing.

He used to always attack space which is far more productive

May 08, 2019, 22:17

Nothing has changed CC, I still pick the best teams, you've just let you're hatred of the transformation policy blind you on Am's form.

You need to Log in to reply.