Can we beat Ireland?

Forum » Rugby » Can we beat Ireland?

Sep 10, 2019, 02:43

Assuming we have to play them in the Quarters, which is certainly not a foregone conclusion, we have a good shot at taking the ABs. A few weeks ago after the drubbing by England, Ireland looked like a good QF opponent.

Not so much after last two weekends, especially Saturday when the Irish scrum and their 3/4s asserted themselves. We are probably at parity in the pack......but the Irish have the better backline, particularly in the centres.

Not having played the Irish much and not having beaten them since 2016 it's all a bit opaque.

Sep 10, 2019, 03:03

Strzok

Whatever you write about rugby is not even remotely true or relevant so lets leave it at that until we see what happened on the 21st.    

Sep 10, 2019, 03:06

Even in the loss to England, I saw things the Boks would have struggled with. The bottom line is we don't see the same kind of line integrity as England produced. The offloads, being forced side to side with scant penetration, being smashed up the middle, it severely blunted the Irish. The biggest vulnerability is the high ball, which we might be able to exploit, I say might because our kickers aren't reliable and we don't often dominate in the air with our chasers. If the Boks can keep the Irish in front of them, it will be tough for them to beat us. However, one mistimed rush, one offload and the Boks come away at the seams, that what concerns me. We are the most simplistic and pattern based attacking side of any nation of note, so our defence, set pieces and kicking better be on point. We are about three selections short right now. Even with the incorrect selections, the Boks could be playing better rugby. The winners are usually the most adaptable team, capable of winning by any means. The Boks need a lot of things to fall their way. Ireland have a good record against the Boks outside of South Africa this century, we are currently around 50% over the past 10-12 tests overall. In our last 12 tests against the NH away from home, we've won 4, lost 8. We haven't beaten England away since 2014, Wales since 2013, Ireland since 2012. They've gotten a winning trend going now.   

Sep 10, 2019, 03:20

We are the most simplistic and pattern based attacking side of any nation of note, so our defence, set pieces and kicking better be on point.

Totally agree, while it's a strength it could just as readily be a weakness. Strength because it's simple to put together and as I've repeatedly said, it gels with the Bok DNA, as for a weakness, well it's easy to diffuse, the weakness being in its simplicity. Faf's kicking is a concern, wily coaches will employ bomb diffusers which will further negate his wayward kicking.

Sep 10, 2019, 03:22

Hello Liza Page - still writing biased BS on site? 

Sep 10, 2019, 03:24

Geez, you are painful. Get some sleep Mike, it's 3.24am your time, believe me the board will still be here when you wake up.

Sep 10, 2019, 03:29

The Blossom's got outside our main defensive line a number of times....but Willie among others filled the gap.

Is that a sustainable response?

Sep 10, 2019, 04:00

I think our defense will improve, I agree the Blossoms looked threatening and a better opposition would have capitalized but let's not forget the Boks had a number of replacements in the second half. 

Sep 10, 2019, 04:16

Hopefully kiwis face the Irish - I read the Irish coach would prefer to face them than Saffas.. I think probably counting the cost of physicality of an Ireland v SA game...

I think Irish will be solid opponent to any team... just top the pool and life will be fine.

Sep 10, 2019, 04:34

I'm very confident of the Boks beating the AB's which will probably mean that they play the Irish in the quarters.......could we see a major upset?

Sep 10, 2019, 04:50

Sure Strzok

The Blossoms got past Steyn easily a couple of times.   He made 2 tackles in the 20 minutes he played - not so?  The did not get past De Allende - 17 tackles missing 2.   So was the slow Steyn any good in defense or did the players just ran past him?  I am afraid the latter was true.      

Sep 10, 2019, 04:57

4.50am

Sep 10, 2019, 13:23

I have yet to watch the game, but from a stats point of view, Damian was a dud. Three metres? You berated Sonny for such bluntness. Perhaps Damian did make some good tackles, but I doubt it. I've only seen him make stronger tackles on stationary targets. Either way, he is not our best defensive 12 anyway. Not technically or intellectually. Damian is poor man's centre. A champion for the mediocre who will never amount to anything. The emotional types are so devout because they see themselves in these flubs, and as their champion fades into obscurity, their desperation intensifies. Like a mortally wounded animal forging its last stand. 

Sep 10, 2019, 13:30

Liza

Commenting without seeing a match represents typical lying by you. Strzok and Comey.   Your attack on De Allende is a stream of constant BS.    

Liza

Commenting without seeing a match represents typical lying by you. Strzok and Comey.   Your attack on De Allende is a stream of constant BS.    

Liza

By the way "strond"  you posted two video recordings on the match on site and did not watch the game?   How the hell can we believe you anyway?  

Sep 10, 2019, 13:55

I have yet to pass judgement 9n anything that isn't a fact. He was by far the least effective runner in the Bok backline and among the worst in the game. 3 runs, 3 metres. The goat of goats he was said to be. The best centre in world rugby. These aren't attacks, but facts. Where is the errancy? 

Next I remarked on his defence. I said I'll see when I watch the game, the proceeded to bring to light his usual efforts. No attacks, only facts. 

Your meagre comprehension skills are only matched by the haphazard flickerings of your parted tongue.

I am a busy man, and what time I did have to myself I spent watching the NFL. Patriots have priority over the Boks and the World Cup. I also watched several other games of last weekend's seasons openers. 

Sep 10, 2019, 14:00

Liza

Your biased contributions  are worthless and has been proven as such for years.   You have NO IDEA about rugby anyway and is the most stupid member on site ever - Omlet  LMAO

Sep 10, 2019, 14:11

Das Omlett. That brings back good memories. Poor Omlett was setup like a wild boar trampling through mud into a well prepared snare. The early mouth is always accompanied by a red face. :D

As per being exposed. You have never exposed anything in your life. That you strain desperately day after day, shouting insults as forcefully as you can attests to your incompetence. You have no other weapon but the mud sling. Intellectually you turn up to a nuke fight with spud gun. Never fear, I think it not worthless. It gifts me the laughs that keep me coming back. :silly:

Sep 10, 2019, 14:42

Pretty hard to call. On current form there isn't too much between the teams.

Brian O'Driscoll said in the last week he would fancy Ireland's chances against the All Blacks in the quarter mores than South Africa. He reckons South Africa have more potential to bully Ireland up front like England have done this year than the All Backs do.

Sep 10, 2019, 14:42

Pretty hard to call. On current form there isn't too much between the teams.

Brian O'Driscoll said in the last week he would fancy Ireland's chances against the All Blacks in the quarter mores than South Africa. He reckons South Africa have more potential to bully Ireland up front like England have done this year than the All Backs do.

Sep 10, 2019, 14:54

@ Auge,

What do you make of AB joining the Pats? Think Bellachic is gonna tolerate his ego?

My missus is a Pats fan while I'm on the other end of the spectrum as a AZ Cards fan.

Dolphins definitely getting the 1st pick next draft:D

Sep 10, 2019, 15:11

Liza

How about the lies you peddled about -

*   the 2 missed tackles on De Allende by Steyn

*   about the lie on Mostert missed tackle on Sanchez blaming Du Toit for the feeble attempt;

*   the BS of you and Strzok about the Morne disaster in the Perth test in 2014;

*   the tommyrot about the 2015 RC being a better than the 2010 series;

*   supporting the Strzok BS about the Barrett try in the 2015 WC semi;

*   the ratings of  Kirchner being better than Folau in  2013 repeated attack on Folau in 2017

*   the fact that you supported the Strzok myth about the Goodhue try;

and virtually all else written by you on site.

Have fun Liza - you constantly lose out on every discussion on site.     

Sep 10, 2019, 15:13

It's going to be very interesting seeing this play out, I can only imagine the debates between Skip and Shannon! :D

AB has been an all time great receiver, but things don't work the same way at Foxborough. A significant crossroads for his career. At best, I think it'll work the same way as Revis, one year of a Super Bowl run and then cut ties. If AB can keep it together, along with Gordon, this is a frighteningly good Pats offence. In fact, I can't recall the last time the Pats simultaneously held an offence and defence with this kind potency. 

I see a lot of comments expressing concern for AB's mental health. Ranging from CTE to plain madness. 30 million guaranteed money at the Raiders. If he didn't get out of that contract to knuckle down at the Pats, then he must be crazy. I think this is beyond narcissism. 

I didn't see what the Cards were up to on the weekend. Had my eye on the Packers, Cowboys, 49ers and Vikings. I see Mayfield got punked by the Titans. Only week 1 and already lots to talk about. 

Sep 10, 2019, 15:16

Liza amd Xavi 

There is a department for Other Sports - nutcases

Sep 10, 2019, 15:16

Duplicate

Sep 10, 2019, 15:59

Hush Oom, the grown ups are speaking now.

Sep 10, 2019, 16:09

Yeah Pats definately up there with KC now offensively. Burkhead looked good Sunday and there's mutterings of a Gronk comeback if Skip is to be believed.

The AFC will be represented by either Pats or mahomeboi and the Chiefs.

Sep 10, 2019, 16:37

FO  to the Other Sports window stupid - you are ruining this thread by extraneous BS 

Sep 10, 2019, 16:44

How many threads have you "ruined" by changing topic? I'd say thousands. How many times have you posted off topic threads? Quite a few. On those occasions I indulged you, numerous times when nobody replied. Even when I wasn't particularly interested in the thread. Whether it be gardening, load shredding, finances, a conversation you had with someone. You really are stamping all over the grave of your credibility Lügnerin. 

Sep 10, 2019, 16:46

Not from one sport to another in the same thread dofdoos Liza

Sep 10, 2019, 16:48

Ruining this thread? Here are your contributions in response to the person who started the thread and the next one who tried to discuss the topic:

Strzok

Whatever you write about rugby is not even remotely true or relevant so lets leave it at that until we see what happened on the 21st.   

------------

Hello Liza Page - still writing biased BS on site?

------------

None of your subsequent responses on this thread show any inclination to contribute to the topic raised. Just another slew of the same old boring insults.

Sep 10, 2019, 17:00

Not from one sport to another? Not even Morné joining PSG? :D

Sep 10, 2019, 17:01

Tsek ou aambei asem!

Sep 10, 2019, 17:37

Duplicate was the most constructive opinion. :D

Sep 10, 2019, 19:00

I did not want to insult idiots by calling  Mozart, Pakie amd AO - so I was on the lookout for the most biased lairs in the world and found them easily.  

So Mozart is  Strzok;
     Pakie is     Comey; and
     AO is        Liza Page

Happy Total Liars Day to those three morons.    

I did not want to insult idiots by calling  Mozart, Pakie amd AO - so I was on the lookout for the most biased lairs in the world and found them easily.  

So Mozart is  Strzok;
     Pakie is     Comey; and
     AO is        Liza Page

So Mozart is  Strzok;
     Pakie is     Comey; and
     AO is        Liza Page

Sep 10, 2019, 21:14

Mike you are taking things too seriously. 

Sep 10, 2019, 21:16

Well then the stinking shameless liar Baboon-ou must be Bozo.

Still waiting for Baboon-ou to tell us what he based his lie about my son's apparent failed job application on. It's beem almost a month now and the low-class liar and coward hasn't answered yet.

Sep 10, 2019, 22:54

If I'm Strzok, Muck is definitely James Clapper, the ugliest bugger out there and Peeper is Brennan, the slimiest bugger.

Sep 11, 2019, 05:59

Mozart

You should know why I decided on the three names,   All three lied under oath - you three do not need an oath - you always lies or distort,   

Sep 11, 2019, 05:59

Mozart

You should know why I decided on the three names,   All three lied under oath - you three do not need an oath - you always lies or distort,   

Sep 11, 2019, 12:28

Sep 11, 2019, 12:59

Hi Guys

Been a while.  From an Irish perspective we are not as bad as the English defeat or as good as the number rank in the world.  We are somewhere in between.  

Just prior to the English match, the team was in Portugal for the hardest 9 day training session they ever had (as one player was quoted as saying).  They were tired before they started.  On saying that England were extremely impressive and are better than Ireland at the moment.  The main difference is Billy Vunipola and as long as he is fit they play at a different level.   If they have no injuries I think they will win.

On saying that it is the tightest world cup  ever.  It will be between four teams England, SA, NZ and Ireland.  On full strength Ireland is not the strongest team but i think we have a very strong 31.   I think SA have improved immeasurably since Rassie took over and have a real chance to win to cup and it is strange to say but i think we fear SA more that the all blacks for the quarter finals.  

Of course in the end NZ will just get their s*** together and demolish everyone......  

Sep 11, 2019, 13:02

Good to see that Mike and Mozart still have the man love :)

Sep 11, 2019, 13:07

Favourites: England, New Zealand, Wales, Australia, Ireland, South Africa.

That's my pecking order. New Zealand have a good away record over the past 15 tests. South Africa are at 50%. Though Australia are a meagre 28%, they have found a good formula and do perform well at World Cups. Ireland don't progress far, can they do better this year? Wales are usually a very tough nut to crack, with the best defence in the competition. South Africa are not quite there, but have the tools to win two big games. Rassie has implemented a more sensible gameplan than Coetzee, but he has reduced the Boks to a very limited game. They play like the Stormers, the worst attacking team in super rugby. Our record against the NH sides isn't particularly impressive under Rassie either, especially away from altitude. 

Sep 11, 2019, 13:17

Welcome back Boorad.

...come play TotalRankers with us.
Its pretty easy...
pick 3 teams each round.
The combined rank of the teams need to be 20 or more.
3 points per win
1 bonus point if you pick an underdog to win.

Sep 12, 2019, 11:11

Hi Augenoffner

Wales are not as impressive since they lost Gareth Anscombe and Taulupe Faletau due to injury also they have a terrible success rate against the Southern Hemisphere teams.    They have the potential but I don't see them winning.  

Australia are getting a lot better this year but I think they will suffer from injuries.  I don't think they have the depth in the squad that other teams have for the gruelling competition.

A lot will come down to the weather.  If it stays dry then it will less suit the power teams like SA but if you get a monsoon then the grind will suit you guys better.   

Sep 12, 2019, 12:00

Hey rooibozo your change of stance from being pro affirmative action to be being against action when your son was denied a job happened years ago. You were also fully committed to quotas in the Bok side and then it appears you changed course there as well. Yours truly stood for merit in rugby and in the job arena. So there has never been a reason to change my opinion as i have always been right. That's the key rooitwit. Don't take ridiculous immoral positions like you have with this matter or the supporting pervs etc and you won't be changing your stance so often!!:D

You may recall that you said I was a Nazi because I didn't support quotas in the Bok side. You virtue signalling reached one of its many high points. crying with laughter smiley

You are as bad as flip flopper marxist Jeremy Corbyn who was for Brexit then he was not. He was for an election now he isn't. You must love the guy. Hahahahahahahhahaha

Sorry Rooibozo you will just have to suck it all up. Man did I have a good laugh on both of your flip flops and told you so. Amazing how reality sorts out so many daft hatters and their absurd take on matters once it affects them.

Try and get over thIs matter rooibozo, you have more serIous matters to address. Don't forget you need to explaIn how the unIverse created Itself out of nothIng. Hahahahahahhahaha Its tough these days beIng a "fool" atheist. Remember you admitted science says matter is not eternal, there once was nothing and now there is something. But you insist it could not have been God who is eternal.

So you must say how it happened if it wasn't God. Very reasonable request. But please rooitwit answer my question in Beeno's esteemed Trumpet. We don't want thvs and the change in you stance on quotas and affirmative action to clutter up the rugby section do we!

Oaks don't hold you breath about rooitwit really answering the question about creation as he is a big blowhard whose bubble has burst and there ain't much left of the lizard. He is all noise and no substance, cowardly in the extreme.yellow laughing smiley

You need to Log in to reply.