Can you win the WC without at least 5 World xv players?

Forum » Rugby » Can you win the WC without at least 5 World xv players?

Sep 05, 2019, 04:39

An interesting question raised by a poster on another site. And if you think about the WCs since 95, it's certainly true most winners had their share of bests in their positions.

Most, but not all....the95 Boks had Joost, Os and maybe Andre Joubert, fairly slim pickings. The other winners, including our 2007 team probably had at least 5 World xv players.....we had Habana, Smit, F du Preez, Matfield, Bakkies , Juan Smith and Burger.

These World xv players have game altering resumes.....moments that could sway a WC knockout. Such as Joost taking down Lomu at full pace, head-on for the first time at the WC. Larkham's stunning drop kick to beat the Boks in the 99 semi, Mortlocks interception try against the ABs in 2003. Or Vermeulen's offload to F du Preez to beat Wales in 2015.

So who do we have this time around? Possibly Pollard, 2018 Marx and Etzebeth. Is that enough if the rule has some legitimacy?

Sep 05, 2019, 07:29

Who picked the World 15 team?    

Sep 05, 2019, 07:44

Marx blows hot and cold. His line out put-in is unreliable. It's put his fellow team mates under a lot of pressure at times. His strength lies in the tight-loose, especially on the ground. To be honest, I would have preferred Bismarck at his best to Marx.

Pollard can be solid on the day, but he is by no means a Dan Carter or a Jonny Wilkinson. He is our best 10 at the moment and we have no choice but to hope the lad manages the big matches without succumbing to the pressure. There isn't anything special about him. I'm surprised you listed him at all.

Etzebeth hasn't shown much form this season. He is injury prone. By rights, Snyman should be our starting 4 lock with Lood at 5.

No, I don't think we have much to crow about when it comes to world beaters.

Half the squad don't deserve to be there.

Sep 05, 2019, 07:44

Sep 05, 2019, 08:13

I'm not sure which is funnier . . . the notion that Eben Etzebeth is a World XV player or the notion that Pieter-Steph du Toit isn't.

LMAO!

Sep 05, 2019, 12:40

Blow me down ou rooitwit scores 50% as he gets Du Toit right. Let me sit down a moment.:O

So potentially we have Marx, Eben and Du Toit.

Those who may reach dizzy heights include Snyman, our young Scummie Jantjes, if he gets the game time, and an on form Willie Le Roux. 

Pollard is a class act but still needs to prove he is the best. 

What looks to be the case is we at last have a competitive team and a very shrewd coach. This guarantees zero leaves one with reason to hope. 

Sep 05, 2019, 12:59

Rooinek

You should know by now that the funniest rugby illiterate on site is Mozart with his prejudicial obsession with Du Toit and also some other players,  I have literally kicked his backside so many times -  and he still remains a total rugby illiterate,   My normal reaction is LMAO      

Sep 05, 2019, 12:59

Rooinek

You should know by now that the funniest rugby illiterate on site is Mozart with his prejudicial obsession with Du Toit and also some other players,  I have literally kicked his backside so many times -  and he still remains a total rugby illiterate,   My normal reaction is LMAO      

Sep 05, 2019, 13:13

No Mike time has proved conclusively that the funniest illeterate on any topic is rooibozo! 

Sep 05, 2019, 15:16

Well there is no accepted World Team at the moment.....but there is Rugby 365's Team the Rugby Cup:

Finally the very best players are clearly in focus at Rugby 365.....their Team of the Rugby Cup:

Team of the tournament:

15 – Kurtley Beale (Australia).

14 – Cheslin Kolbe (South Africa).

13 – Jack Goodhue (New Zealand).

12 – Samu Kerevi (Australia).

11 – Ramiro Moyano (Argentina).

10 – Handré Pollard (South Africa).

9 – Herschel Jantjies (South Africa).

8 – Duane Vermeulen (South Africa).

7 – Michael Hooper (Australia).

6 – Pablo Matera (Argentina).

5 – Franco Mostert (South Africa).

4 – Eben Etzebeth (South Africa).

3 – Trevor Nyakane (South Africa).

2 – Mbongeni Mbonambi (South Africa).

1 – Tendai Mtawarira (South Africa).

So 365 which is a huge Stephanie hype site can't go so far as to pick him over Matera. By contrast Etzebeth sails into the team. As does Kolbe, Pollard, the Beast, Mostert and Vermeulen. All strong moz picks for the Boks. Also moz picks Matera, Hooper and Kerevi.

Please chaps, do yourself a favour and stick with moz!

Sep 05, 2019, 16:32

As per normal - a load of rubbish, 

Sep 05, 2019, 16:32

As per normal - a load of rubbish, 

Sep 05, 2019, 19:30

No as per normal....vindication.

Sep 05, 2019, 20:09

We are a few selections away from being a juggernaut. We are one coach away from being ahead of the rest. So far, we have become the Stormers. It's uncanny. Can you win the WC when two of your most central figures are fatally flawed? No world champion team has the best players from 1-15 but their core is elite. We have the worst backrow combination out there. Thor, Steph, Kolisi. Only one deserves to be there. We have a dud at 12 and his failed fullback ad partner in crime, Kriel. We know that in his heart of hearts he favours Kriel over Am. Can we win the WC with this? We could, but it won't be easy. We'll soon find out. 

Sep 05, 2019, 21:07

Brilliant BS by the idiot who claims that under Meyer the Springboks played better rugby than they do at present,   He is totally deluded and a mad as a March hare. 

Best advice  leave the Idiot Speaker to his own devices and laugh at the poor bugger.  LMAO,   He obviously is totally rugby illiterate. LMAO     

Duplicate

Duplicate 

Sep 05, 2019, 21:12

Lügnerin: Rassie are attakings more better. 
Reality: Dead last two consecutive years in attack figures. Behind 2015 and 2017 Boks

Lügnerin: Rassie are usings the bawl more than 2015
Reality: 2015 Boks comprehensively out ran the 2018 and 2019 Boks

Lügnerin: Willie ares more effective under Rassie, unlike his horrible out of form 2015.
Reality: Willie outdid his 2018 and 2019 self, another comprehensive victory

Lügnerin: Unconscious on the canvas after thrice punching himself in the face
Reality: I never lose 

Sep 06, 2019, 00:44

Nkosi, Kriel, de Allende, Pollard, Faf, Kitshoff, Marx, Etzebeth, Snyman, Kolisi and PSDT would not let a World side down.

Normally I’d add Willie but he has been quiet of late

Sep 06, 2019, 02:56

Listen AO - Idiot Speaker

All the absolute crap is as per normal coming out of this idiot.   In 2015  what was the test results and how man tries were scored in the RC tests and what happened in 2019.   Fact is the BS about the 2015  RC the team performed better than in 2019 is a clear case of rugby idiocy on your part.   How stupid can you get?  LMAO          

Sep 06, 2019, 03:12

More carries, more metres, more breaks, defenders beaten, offloads etc. How can the 2019 team possibly have used the ball more or better? In the 2015 Aussie test, the Boks had a little over 20% possession and still out ran the 2019 Boks on attack. Willie's figures in 2015 were unreal. 

Sep 06, 2019, 09:30

More losses less tries and what not - the man who wrote BS is amazingly idiotic and he is the rel Idiot Speaker.  How low can he go??????  

Sep 06, 2019, 10:00

Why do you struggle so hard with very simple things? The Wallabies the Boks played this year were the worst in over 40 years. In their very first game of a new midfield experiment and life without Folau. Los Pumas weren't very good, not until game two. New Zealand are their most vulnerable since 1998. Yet, these are of no consideration. Not even facing the Wallabies away in our third worst venue on earth, or the illegal lineout play that won the test for New Zealand, the eventual world champions. I suppose facing an All Black side that helplessly couldn't exit its own half is a very great challenge, for this current side at least. 

Lügnerin, have the good sense to lie down and stay the hand of another beating. It's doing your credibility little good. 

Sep 06, 2019, 11:30

Hey Dave ... I see you listed Kolisi as one of your world beaters??

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaa?

Good one.

Sep 06, 2019, 11:36

Duane Vermeulen better than Vunipola ... ??

Yeah right!

Bongi ... the world's best hooker?LOL!!

Beast?? That's not the same Beast that Ruan Dreyer scrummed into the ground is it?

Oh boy. What next?? Frans Steyn at 12?

Sep 06, 2019, 11:59

Idiot Speaker AO 

It is obvious you are totally clueless as to the use of stats when it comes to player performance evaluation and that makes it very easy to deal with idiots like you and your interpretation of stats,  I have found that before and it is obvious that you still are the most ignorant member ever on this site,  

You add a lot of stats together - try and manipulate into the team performance and leave out some because of bench players and then say voila the flops in 2015 is better than the successful team in 2019,  

You also have no idea about issue of game plans and kicking effectiveness.   In that you are even more stupid than Mozart.   more silly and stupid than Mozart - a huge achievement - sicne he si even more prejudiced than you are.  

Happy Idiots Day to you.         

Sep 06, 2019, 16:09

Yes Lügnerin, we've heard it a thousands of times by now, you are smarter than everyone else. Now content yourself with a nice pat on the back. 

You need to Log in to reply.