Danie Gerber - Maestro Of The Midfield (Updated)

Forum » Rugby » Danie Gerber - Maestro Of The Midfield (Updated)

Jan 06, 2023, 07:46

Jan 06, 2023, 11:28

Didn't know he played for Western Province, 40 games.

Less still Free State, 24 games.

OK so the games for Freestate were in the beginning of his career, in the army in Bloem. They equal the number of games played for the Boks as well. 

Jan 06, 2023, 12:09

I seriously doubt if there's a single rugby player who's ever played the game with a more impressive career highlights package than that. Just phenomenal.

Cullen's is amazing but Gerber's is even better.

If Gerber's career hadn't coincided with apartheid sanctions, he'd be regarded as the greatest #13 to ever play the game, if not the best back, if not the greatest rugby player who ever lived.

Jan 06, 2023, 12:22

Gerber's stats already determine that he is the best centre to have played the game. 

Jan 06, 2023, 14:57

No question

Jan 06, 2023, 15:20

Gerber, Naas, Divan Serfontein, Michael and Carel Dup, Mort...all in the same backline...best Bok team ever! Then we had Heunis, Pienaar and Scoltz at 15 at various times...combined with our forwards...FANTASTIC!!!!Poor Trad will faint.

Jan 06, 2023, 17:08

"Trad will faint"

Yebo :P

Jan 06, 2023, 18:49

Still outsprinted the French backs to score at age 34. Tremendous athlete.

Jan 06, 2023, 19:47

Agreed Pakie. He was like a mix of Joubert with Fourie. I think he would still have been successful in any era. He had all the hardware and software. I wish I could have been born a bit earlier to have taken that generation of Boks in. Still, I have gathered quite a good collection of vintage Bok games, and it still makes for great viewing. It's how I console myself with this current shambles. 

Jan 06, 2023, 20:29

That was probably our best backline ever….although I liked the 62 backline with Gainsford, Roux and Englebrecht. And the late 60’s backline with Gert Muller and HO de Villiers

Jan 06, 2023, 22:46

Thank gawd Gerber never ever had a DdA at 12 .

Jan 06, 2023, 22:55

Gerber played half of his tests at 12. I haven't checked all of his test centre partners, but I'm pretty sure that he played most of them with Willie du Plessis; they both alternated between 12 and 13.

Jan 06, 2023, 23:28

Card, watte possie would you give him ?

Jan 07, 2023, 00:05

The name's Lemur BB. As to what position? I always considered him a 13, and I think in the modern game, he'd thrive more at 13, but would still be more effective than Damian, Willemse et al at 12. Gerber was a true centre, not a wing/fullback shoehorned into centre.

Jan 07, 2023, 00:16

I am a NZ Supporter through and through.

Gerber was a real pain in the arse.

He was a class act.

Best centre I have ever seen. 

Jan 07, 2023, 01:40

Bullshit did Gerber play half his tests at 12

Jan 07, 2023, 01:46

This is becoming too common to be a coincidence. So, I have to ask an uncomfortable question Saffex: Do you, or have you ever, suffered from Sexual Masochism Disorder? Just a simple yes or no will suffice. Thanking you in advance. Now, I run the risk of arousing you further, but for the sake of the accuracy of the information for the rest of the board, here is Gerber's test record:

Gerber

Jan 07, 2023, 01:51

Wow I stand corrected - fuck I don’t recall him ever playing 12 but I was a teenager when he played

I’ll give you that one Doos - now go have a wank

Jan 07, 2023, 01:57

Alas, my hands aren't big enough. I appreciate your honesty; none of us is perfect :silly:

Jan 07, 2023, 02:28

Hahaha…you two may actually grow to like each other.

Jan 07, 2023, 03:20

Back in the day Gerber played with 13 on his back, even when playing inside center. It was his number for some reason. I think I saw him being interviewed about it long ago, but I can't recall the details.

Jan 07, 2023, 05:50

Intresting Danie Gerber,s son, Danre' Gerber, plays Flyhalf and Centre for Sporting Union Agenais in France. He is 34 now and weigh 99 kilograms....to be honest did not even know Danie had a son....he left SA quite early to live in France.

Jan 07, 2023, 15:33

I'm sure he must have found his way onto one of Saffex's player shopping lists, we just missed the connection. 

Jan 08, 2023, 17:18

Couple of things about Gerber. Obviously he was faster than most wings…..he could step at full pace…his hands were terrific…he bounced players off with his hips and shoulders like the real power backs. But he scored tries because he saw the field and was fully committed to backing up every break. Of all his outstanding attributes his support running is perhaps his most unique feature.

Some other things of interest on those highlights..  Naas throwing an NFL pass and Tobias looking so much like Libbok in his fluid running.

Beautiful rugby .

Jan 08, 2023, 17:41

If you watch our best players, something they all have in common: they are not passive players. It must be a generational thing, as past South African players were much more engaged. That's what makes the support play so dangerous. Watching some of these clips, and past tests the last few weeks, really is depressing. Thinking of the aimless and shambolic play all season, is this what we have to look forward to for the rest of the decade? 

Jan 18, 2023, 09:53

Gerber ran a 11.1 for 100m at school.So he must have been a sub 11 runner later on.He could also run in both directions at once:D

Can you imagine how frustrating it was for him and Wllie du Plessis losing that first test in the demo ridden(NZ) with Nass kicking all possession away. 

Jan 19, 2023, 06:54

Danre Gerber, du Nord au Sud – Rugbiterre – Supporters ASBH

danre
Rugby / Nationale. Danre Gerber (Chambéry) va bien filer à Agen !1,600 × 1,067
Danre Gerber

You need to Log in to reply.