Danie Gerber 2

Forum » Rugby » Danie Gerber 2

Jul 23, 2022, 18:04

So I got thinking about this fella and started watching some stuff on Youtube. Obviously highlight vids are not really the way to assess a player because if dog shit losers like most of the Blocks can look good in spliced footage. Then I got reading up on him. I never knew he played a lot of his tests at 12. I thought he only ever played at 13. Kinda sad that I couldn't find great info on his domestic rugby because I wanted to know where he started out playing. But lots of positive stuff said about him. He scored 10 tries for the Blocks at 12 and then 9 at 13. Mostly played 12 in the first half of his test career. So, it's kinda impressive that he was able to score so regularly at post positions. His record against the kiwis was 2 tries in 4 games and he won 1 out of 4. They did play the cavaliers, and a lot of Blocksters say that was the unofficial world cup but that's bullshit. Anyway the Blocks won the series 3 to 1 and Danie scored 1 try in the third game which was a win. Kind of a mixed bag in terms of wins against top opponents. He lost to Australia. It was as a pretty loaded Wally side with Horan and Little in the centres... world champions. Lots Blocks in the backs who made the 1995 world cup but they absolutely fucking pumped 3 to 29. So my conclusion is that he was a pretty good centre. I still don't think he's the best ever but I have a lot more respect for the guy. Would be nice to see some Province games posted up and a bit more info on what his record and stats were from them. 

Jul 23, 2022, 18:16

You have a pretty strong opinion about a guy you've only ever seen in highlights. I grew up watching him, all the way from his club rugby for Despatch (which was still big enough back in the 80s to be televised), the Eastern Province and even at age 34 he was still playing wing for Western Province and outsprinting the younger French backs in a chase for the ball to score for the Boks in 1992. I think the closest modern day 13 to Gerber would be Brian O' Driscoll.

Jul 23, 2022, 18:19

I watched three tests... two cavaliers and the 1992 kiwi test. 

Jul 23, 2022, 20:01

Danie dispatched all competition and arguments as to the best centre ever. He was poetry in motion. The most perfect centre ever, only wish he was 30 years younger, even the modern game he would have excelled and found the gaps.

Jul 23, 2022, 20:02

Danie dispatched all competition and arguments as to the best centre ever. He was poetry in motion. The most perfect centre ever, only wish he was 30 years younger, even the modern game he would have excelled and found the gaps.

Jul 23, 2022, 20:41

Horan, Herbert, Little, Umaga, Nonu, Smith, O'Driscoll, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Catt, Bunce, Guscott, Carling, Sella are all better. End of fucking discussion. Typical yarpies, try to have a reasonable conversation and credit the guy for what he accomplished but that isn't enough. Yarpies wanting their asses licked and nothing else will fucking appease these snowflakes. 

Jul 23, 2022, 22:23

Agree that the players you mentioned are all excellent ex-players as well but the point we are making is that Danie Gerber was the GREATEST.

Now just to explain it a bit more to you, Greatest is better than Excellent.

Got it now?

Good.

Jul 24, 2022, 00:33

If we talk what Gerber could do against the top level structures etc Gerber is not the best ever. Get fucking real. 

Jul 24, 2022, 10:39

. I think the closest modern day 13 to Gerber would be Brian O' Driscoll.

Indeed, but Danie was still much better...him an Carel in one backline was something to behold.

Jul 24, 2022, 10:44

"

We hate to admit it but Danie Gerber is the best centre ever

There are some players from the amateur era people believe would not make the grade in the professional game given the changes in physicality, then there are some players that would take to the modern game like a duck to water. South Africa’s Danie Gerber is one of the latter.

The 24-cap Springbok proved to be nothing short of a freak of nature during his twelve year international career between 1980 and 1992 and had the full package with ball in hand. He had the power to sit down tacklers and the pace and swerve to leave them in his wake. His running style and pace is comparable to Christian Cullen’s, or rather Cullen’s was comparable to his, but then Gerber had the brute strength to complement his agility.

Gerber is the non-active player with the best try-scoring ratio with more than 20 Test caps, who ended his career with 19 tries in 24 Tests (79.2%). Though that record could well be beaten by some current stars of the game, particularly his compatriot Makazole Mapimpi, it is a hugely impressive record and why there is a very good case for him being the greatest centre ever."

Jul 24, 2022, 10:49

Jul 24, 2022, 11:20

I see nothing to show me that he could cope with modern systems and keep that try ratio. The defences he faced were wide open cover was slow... space wasn't covered and marked very good. Players are more tactically aware and these systems are waaaay more sophisticated. That's the problem you fucks have... you can't fucking run through wide open space anymore. It takes a collective effort to make a break and support the strike runner. Too much thinking and too much skill. Dopes like Kriel and Am would be legends if they played in the 80s. Fucking yarpies with no sense of reality. 

Jul 24, 2022, 16:31

"Fucking yarpies with no sense of reality. "

Better than a fcn turncoat wannabe Pom with no sense at all.

Jul 24, 2022, 16:32

Jou oupa draai in sy graf om...

Jul 24, 2022, 16:54

turncoat?? What the fuck are you on Db??? well named.. a flat dud XD

Jul 24, 2022, 18:27

Horan, Herbert, Little, Umaga, Nonu, Smith, O'Driscoll, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Catt, Bunce, Guscott, Carling, Sella are all better.

Catt :D
Carling :D
Smith :D

You sir, are a treat.

Jul 24, 2022, 19:53

I am quite delicious, but you cannot have a suck Pakster. I could have named a hell of a lot of other better centres... that's just off the top of my head. 

Jul 24, 2022, 22:39

Do not diss Will Carling, Pakie :angry: 

Jul 25, 2022, 07:59

Carling was good Becs, I always enjoyed watching him play. A Gerber he was not, though.

Jul 25, 2022, 11:16

Best 13 to ever play the game - case closed

Jul 25, 2022, 15:03

Hmm well, Pakie, I forgive you now. 

Will Carling is off limits for nasty comments;) 

Jul 25, 2022, 15:23

Will was bog ordinary Becs

Jul 25, 2022, 15:42

No Saffex :angry:

Will was fabulous :) 

Jul 25, 2022, 16:01

You just fancied him

Jul 25, 2022, 16:02

Ha ha ha ha ha !! 

Jul 25, 2022, 17:13

Well fuck me days fake Rosie. Frank Bunce in your list who would have thought? Hmm the plot thickens.

Koro Koro Koro daaaammm you’re fucking good

Jul 25, 2022, 17:22

Imagine what Michael Brial would have got today for what he did in 1996 to poor old Buncey.

Haha those were the days alright. Nothing like a good punch up and no card.

Jul 25, 2022, 18:22

Will Carling was good enough to break through walls of defenders. He was tough, he had field presence and leadership and he could pass. Sella may very well be the best 13 ever and his record speaks for itself. Guscott was also a great centre in his own right and has a strong record. I forgot to mention Mortlock who was way better than O'Dribble and probably the candidate for top 1 to 3 centres of all time. You fuckers should know him well cause he fucked you lot over a fair few as well as shattering kiwi hearts. The man could run, pass, kick he had it fucking all. Way more complete than Gerber. That's the thing with you stupid dildos, you aren't fans of the game and yarpies typically have a very linear scope of anything outside of their fucking bubble world. Gerber was a hero to YOU, in YOUR pond... not the biggest fish in the SEA. But that comes with that typical yarpie arrogance and you fucks took a long time to kind of realise you aren't gods gift to rugby, but any time you get the odd result you fall quickly into that old mindset. YOu fuckers probably wouldn't even know half the names of a list of the worlds best because you only know your own little dinkys. 

Koro... maybe I was wrong about you...

Jul 25, 2022, 18:58

Yes, Red Rose, Will Carling had many attributes needed from a good Centre and he partnered with Jerry Guscott really well. Oh for a Centre pairing as good as those two today ! 

Jul 25, 2022, 19:35

Man you do a lot of fucking Rosie. Some saffa did a real good job on you.

Have to agree about Mortlock. Bunce and Little though were good too. My pick for centre pairings. Read their book Midfield Liaison they gave the ditch diggers some headaches too just ask Brial haha

Jul 25, 2022, 20:19

Sella better than Gerber bwhaahaaaa

Joke of the year

Gerber was by far the best ever with BOD a second

Jul 25, 2022, 23:05

The bigger the laughter the bigger the stupid. I suppose Snor was wrong, he who laughs last doesn't laugh lastest. 

Jul 25, 2022, 23:36

Sella better than Gerber what a fucking joke but more to the point it proves how fucking rugby ignorant you are you clueless twat

Jul 26, 2022, 11:22

Here's one for you you fucking queen. Sella putting Gerber on his arse. Sella was known for defence as well as attack. The complete package....

5796235-450-450-676-0-fit-0-9384a2364dc6cf31dad638d81c836ef0

Jul 26, 2022, 11:50

Funny you should mention that match:

April 19, 1986

Unlike the British Lions v World XV three days earlier in a wet Cardiff Arms Park, this game was played in ideal conditions at Twickenham.[3] At the time, there were only eight Unions affiliated to the Board, thus only players from those unions were chosen.

April 19, 1986

Five Nations XV 13 – 32 Overseas Unions XV

Gerber scored 2 tries and Carel Dup 1....South Africa had 4 starters in that team and scored half the tries....Sella scored no tries and his team leaked 6.

Jul 26, 2022, 14:18

Well, Sella had no trouble with Gerber. Yarpies can never stay on topic. What's Gerber's record against New Zealand and Australia? What's his strike rate against top teams? I don't mean invitational South American teams etc. 

Jul 26, 2022, 17:22

"Well, Sella had no trouble with Gerber. "

Wel, Gerber scored 2 tries...so maybe just a little...I really must try to get that footage...can't recall much of it...

Jul 26, 2022, 17:37

Jul 26, 2022, 18:27

Yah, I've already seen it you poofter. 

Jul 27, 2022, 06:41

So why're you repeating your nonsense then???

Jul 27, 2022, 14:20

Repeat what you bloated codfish? Do I have to spell the whole thing for you chump? 

Jul 27, 2022, 17:29

Try some context.:angel:

Jul 27, 2022, 18:12

Try some butt salve. 

Jul 27, 2022, 20:12

My arse is fine, you're the one still salty after 2019...grow a pair!...and go trade that glass jaw for something more durable. 

Jul 28, 2022, 14:27

Glass jaw? Yeah sure, from the old glimmer having to confirm that his rectum is indeed in good order. Db not the one for the big moments it seems, huh? Fucking hilarious! 

Jul 28, 2022, 20:42

Sorry for misspelling "Donkey", but English is my 3rd language....8-)...you still have a weak jaw for the game you talk.:D

Jul 28, 2022, 21:17

English is your third language huh? What's the other two? Bull and Shit? You need to level up your game bro, any more of this femboy shit and your testicles will retract into your body and die, becoming ovaries. 

Jul 28, 2022, 21:17

For the record... my chin game is god tier. gg/nr

do you consider a strong jawline and a prominent chin attractive? - The  Student Room

Jul 29, 2022, 10:11

Red Nose,Het jy diep in die bottel gekyk ???

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1790033234608228

Jul 29, 2022, 12:02

English is your third language huh? What's the other two? Bull and Shit? (second language is Kakpraat:D) You need to level up your game bro, any more of this femboy shit and your testicles will retract into your body and die, becoming ovaries. 

You mention male genitals almost as much as Rudeneck....Sies man!:D

Jul 29, 2022, 12:24

"Db not the one for the big moments it seems, huh? Fucking hilarious!"

Jul 29, 2022, 12:33

"Stop confusing Piss Mint ....."

No confusion here, DumbAss, just contempt . . . and a small measure of pity.

Jul 29, 2022, 15:44

Gerber was rare because he could step, but he also had the pace to glide through the outside gap. It’s a rare centre that can do that. But he was also extremely powerful with a low centre of gravity. And unlike Dud Allende for example…he saw the field.

Definitely a strong candidate for the Goat at 13.

What is interesting in this discussion is how many great centres there were …Gerber, Bunce, Sella, Mortlock etc.. These days the coaching has created a bunch of crash and reset robots. Kerevi is one of the few exceptions.

Jul 29, 2022, 16:41

I had high hopes for Huw Jones...

Jul 29, 2022, 17:40

Well regardless of what anybody thinks of Gerber, if you want pure delight watch the Reinach try set up by Gerber that starts building up at 2:14 in this video to see some prime Gerber dancing. If you don't get a kick out of that, rugby probably isn't your game.

Jul 29, 2022, 18:04

Pakie, Pakie, Pakie... I don't want to do this to you fella. You're a cool dude. But, this only emphasises my point about why he was very good but not the greatest. I shall spare you the painful details. 

Jul 29, 2022, 18:52

"The greatest" is always up in the air. How we determine that across different eras through the quagmire of changes in the game, differing views, nostalgia and whatnot, who knows. The guy was a formidable strike weapon and I love watching him. Beyond that, each to their own.

Jul 29, 2022, 19:07

You are probably right, being the greatest of all time is a dodgy claim, each has his own perception, best to say one of the greatest.

Take winger, Ray Mordt, to me he was the best winger ever in SA but no doubt there will be a host of others who won't agree but certainly probably one of the strongest.

https://youtu.be/DuE0e-e1Y3g

Jul 29, 2022, 20:04

Those vids are great and brilliant to watch. I remember those days and rugby had soul. It was a time that you really had to be there to get. But for fuck sake, lets be real... you watch the defending and you even look at the current Blocks... it's lightyears apart. You can't do that shit anymore. A guy like Kriel would a been pretty successful back in the 70s and 80s. Look at Mortlock and you look at what he had to beat to be successful and there's just no fucking comparison. Guys like Gerber are great players... heck, I'd say he could be good even now in this era in his prime, but he probably wouldn't have anywhere near the same success. Probably more like a Joubert. 

You need to Log in to reply.