David Ribbans in England squad

Forum » Rugby » David Ribbans in England squad

Oct 05, 2020, 11:20

Another good SA player lost to another country

Fuck this grates me no end

Most will probably not know much about Ribbans as he only played a game or two for WP/ Stormers and then left for England as a youngster.

He has been playing for Northampton Saints and identified early on as a future England player as soon as he qualified.

He is a typical big SA lock and very visible. High energy and a loss to SA rugby

Regardless of our depth, every player being picked by another country is a loss to us.

Oct 05, 2020, 12:16

I share your sentiment on watching other players turn up for other countries. I felt the same about Barrit turning up for England at 12. 

Back then we had Jean and Meisiekind but I felt Jake messed that one up as he was our genuine 12. 

That said, if you look at our depth at lock and the quotas before him, I don't blame the kid. 

Hyron Andrews and Marvin Orrie were piss poor this weekend

Oct 05, 2020, 14:00

It’s a provisional Squad, he may never even play for us. 

You know my opinion on foreign players turning out for England. 

Oct 05, 2020, 14:36

Orie and Andrews are always shit - both lightweight quota selections for sure

Becs I don’t give a shit whether it’s provisional or not, it clearly indicates he is on the radar. I heard some time back Eddie Jones was a huge fan of Ribbans so no doubt he will be capped sooner or later.

He is better than any of the young English locks about so it’s only a matter of time before we see him in a fucking white jersey

Oct 05, 2020, 14:42

Saffex, whether he plays or not is not the point. He shouldn’t be included. 

The Squad is minus all teams playing in the play offs and Sale, just in case they get to play their final game, so that’s a lot of missing players. 

Oct 05, 2020, 15:32

becs, you are right just read that they are trying to prepare for the Italy clash, but to counter argue your point. It is Italy and they probably want to start blooding some youngsters. 

But other than Itoje, they don't have great locks. I think Launchburry, Laws are good players but just don't have the same ability as some of the best locks in the world which we seem to have in buckets 

Oct 05, 2020, 15:46

Lawes isn’t an option, he injured himself in our last match on Tues night. Going to be out for a long time. 

We have other options, just not picking them. 

Oct 05, 2020, 16:31

becs get with it guy.

You have many players (born outside the UK) who have added strength to all sport in the UK both in local and international games.

Even with that added advantage during the Rugby WC 2019 you guys failed miserably in the final.

So don't point fingers at "IMPORTS" because in many cases SA players have had to move overseas to further their careers and earnings.

David Ribbans will be the next Saffer to represent England.

Be proud because his talent has been recognized by another country and not his own. 

Oct 05, 2020, 16:45

I’m not a guy, AJH, I’m female. 

Secondly, the player’s have not all improved our teams at all. They serve to take jobs and earnings from home grown players and destroy careers......do you see the hypocrisy here ? That your players have to leave for money and careers whilst destroying others ? No ? 

I’m not remotely proud and I say that as a lifelong Northampton supporter. 

Oct 05, 2020, 17:01

Becs, are you proposing that a far better overseas player in any certain position... definitely not be picked... instead of a average local homebred player?

So no matter what, always pick local players irrespective of how good any overseas player is?

That is almost as bad as picking a quota player just because of his skin colour….. you don't want to pick a overseas imported player purely because a local player could lose earnings or a career....

Some clarity would be helpful 

Oct 05, 2020, 17:08

My stance is that local players should always be picked to represent their country, or else what is the point in having national teams ? 

Oct 05, 2020, 17:14

So pick any and all inferior local players over all the better overseas players...….. how do you provide or instill experience and confidence to your younger players if they are constantly and permanently surrounded by inferior players.... get drilled every week  

I fully get what you are saying, and to a degree I certainly do agree with you, but whilst we open that door..... I wonder how many Man United and Liverpool players are actually from those towns or even from the UK itself.....

Where does it stop

Oct 05, 2020, 17:16

"My stance is that local players should always be picked to represent their country, or else what is the point in having national teams?" 

And if a family moves to another country with a young family, and at some point later on, that youngster is picked to play for his new country......is that ok?

Oct 05, 2020, 18:59

I still fondly remember the Quince.

Oct 05, 2020, 19:37

Ja, feel the same sentiment...idealism versus reality. 

Unfortunately that's what the world has become... sentimental, patriotic values are being eroded by filthy lucre but there is nothing powerful, we find, that  our personal values can had a say.

Looking back when rugby was conflicting with traditional sentiments and business, the old stalwart, Doc Craven was against commercial and professional rugby. He was a conservative traditionalist and his purist values were often ridiculed. 

Everything in life has a price however and as Churchill said : You cannot please everybody all of the time, only some of the people some of the time.

Sport today is business and patriotic sentiments are diminished into clubs, franchises and eventually into countries through economic reasons.

"You cannot have your cake and eat it."

Oct 05, 2020, 20:40

The fact that Quin Roux represented the very respectable Ireland means he is somewhat better than the warped take you have on him Moz

Better option than the likes of Johan Muller, Jandre Kruger, Marvin Orie or Albert vd Bergh who have represented the Boks

Oct 11, 2020, 18:43

becs, I beg forgiveness as I assumed incorrectly.

Oct 11, 2020, 19:10

AJH....forgiveness for thinking I was a bloke ? ??

You need to Log in to reply.